PDA

View Full Version : Lawn & Landscape article

Green Sweep
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Just read the new April issue of Lawn & Landscape magazine. There is a great article on servicing sprinkler systems. A part of the article quotes Jim Lewis of Lewis Landscape Services in Oregon on pricing, servicing, etc. I have to assume that this is the same Jim Lewis that posted pics of his new service van on this forum a few weeks back. Jim stated that he offers a 5 year warranty on new installs provided that the clients allow him to start up & winterize the system during that time. I think that is brilliant & may follow suit. Customers love longer warranty's & your locking in the work for 5 years! We currently have a 1 year warranty & I think that offering 5 with that stipulation will also make our initial bids more attractive.

Rob

telcomac
04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Two year warranty works for us. Keeps other hands out of your work, and builds customer confidence. Then they are ready and willing to have you maintain the system for a fee. For me five years seems a bit long to wait considering the cost involved in rolling a truck and manpower to service systems. Just my thoughts!:drinkup:

koster_irrigation
04-11-2006, 09:31 PM
i issue a 2 year warranty. its not too often that i have warranty issues.

NOW, the first WINTERIZATION is free and i begin to CHARGE for maintainance the following Spring...

BSME
04-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I haven't even opened the April issue yet but that's pretty cool Jim.

I do the same deal for two years... I really don't have a problem putting a guarantee on the labor as you do the shutdown and startups since nothing ever goes wrong with a new install unless a lawn mower or plow gets a head.

and if a valve goes bad or a rotor stops moving and it's still under the manufacturer's warranty I'll give the parts for free (i'm returning it anyway) and just charge for labor

I wanted to do the same deal for five years but couldn't find enough parts that carry a five year warranty

Dirty Water
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I haven't gotten my april one yet.

They usually sit in my bathroom unopened until I get bored.

PurpHaze
04-13-2006, 08:13 AM
I haven't gotten my april one yet. They usually sit in my bathroom unopened until I get bored.

OR... Until you run out of toilet paper??? :laugh:

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA
04-19-2006, 09:10 PM
can't wait until urs comes in to see that article. if it's the same lewis i've also seen his comments on here and his website is very professional.

DarkLotus
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I offered a 5 year warranty on materials and labor and lifetime warranty on the pipe if we winterize every year. If the install is near the fall, we winterize for free.... Works like a charm!!!

justgeorge
04-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I use Hunter products that all have 5 year warranties on them (although I never have found what the Pro-C warranty is). I-20 rotors, Institutional Spray, PGV valves, wireless rain sensor. Last year, my first in business, I offered 3 years on the whole system then 2 more years parts only. This year I've dropped it to 2 years. I do the blowouts during the warranty period (which I price into the install bid). I've closed over 50% of my bids; not bad for a new guy.

Az Gardener
04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro C warranty is only 2 years

Mdirrigation
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
we give a 2 year warranty including turn on and blow outs . Then we sell an extended warranty to our customers and agressivly sell the warranty to systems we didnt install