PDA

View Full Version : Installing 90 emerald greens

daveyo
04-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm installing ninety 6' arbs, I get them wholesale for 49 each I mark up a total of 11%, 5% for me 6% for state tax (st8 the customer though). So that's $4895 not including delivery or labor. My question is what is a good install price for 90. No ammendments will be used, and I use an auger to dig all the holes. I was thinking of charging $1890 for install and then deliv. So looking at my end (labor) only, a 5% mark up on 90 plants is 220.50, add labor and delivery at 1965.50 for a total of 2185.50. I've installed many arbs so no freak out about ammending please.

baddboygeorge
04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Are You Giving The Customer A Warranty?? For 90 Arbs Installed That Is Too Cheap, You Need To Reconsider What Your Getting Into . What Happens When 10- 20 Die ?? Let Me Know What You Decide Thanks

AGLA
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
You can not guaranty a plant on a 5% margin. It should be at least a 50% markup on top of your other very reasonable charges. It is a bargain at $10k.

daveyo
04-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I wasn't going to give a guarantee. Since there is a sprinkler system and I'm getting the maintenance contract on the property I figured I could keep an eye on them. I should mention I'm also installing 40 holly bushes, and designing the front of the property, I'll be installing wallstone, trees, bushes etc.. That part is not the problem. I'ts the arbs, we already agreed I couldn't guarantee them. Do you think its still a low price with no guarantee, I would like to guarantee them but I'm trying to stick to their budget. I guess I could piece work it, raise my price and guarantee them, what do you think. Thanks for the input.

nlminc
04-11-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm installing (12) 6' ers next week. Wholesale is $45.00. I'm charging $112.50 each with a one year warranty.

drsogr
04-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm installing (12) 6' ers next week. Wholesale is $45.00. I'm charging $112.50 each with a one year warranty.

Sounds like my pricing.

Gilla Gorilla
04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I would be at $8974.13 total without any warranty. If I was to warranty them for a year then I would be at $11845.85

The other concern that I have is that is there any deer in the area where these will be planted? If so then they are going to get really thin and torn up by the deer towards the end of the winter.

jasonosu
04-12-2006, 12:45 AM
just my 2 cents, but consider the source of the trees when you consider a gaurantee. i do some complete new installs and i have had very few plants ever die; maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100. then i decided to track down 2 semi loads of 8'-9' douglas pines from out of state, for the builder i work for. i got them at like 48 or 49 bucks each. i put half of them at his house and the other half were put at some condos by another crew. out of 166 trees, i would guess that about 25-30 of them are dead a year later. they even had a sprinkler system! if that had to come out of my pocket to replace, i wouldn't be happy, but i had no guarantee.
sorry i can't help you with the pricing, i do a lot of work for the guy and i didn't make any markup, just made a hourly rate for planting the trees.

Travel'n Trees
04-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Don't be afraid to make money? We plant a semi load of trees in a day and a half $ 15 k to $ 18 K profit augers aren't cheap.

AGLA
04-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Whatever else you are doing on the site has no bearing on what you should charge to do the work.

daveyo
04-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm going to see the customer today, I'm out the door now. I'll present 10,125 that'll be the 125 each with one year warranty, arbs only. I'll post back tonight.

Dreams To Designs
04-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Planting Arbs in NJ right now is a bit risky due to the proliferation of bagworm. Sounds like you are creating a toy soldier screen that will be very susceptible to bagworm attack. If you are doing the maintenance, you will be able to keep an eye on things, but you should be charging appropriately for the installation. With no warranty you should be closer to 9k and if you do warranty at least 11k.

Kirk

daveyo
04-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I took everyones advice and decided if I didn't go with a warranty it may come back to bite me one way or another. I told him 11,000 with a one year warranty for the arbs only, the hollies are a completely different price along with the other part of the install. He didn't blink to much but told me he would get an estimate or two to compare apples to apples. Mean while I'm doing the clean up, tear out, first cut etc.. to get the job going so it can be ready by 05/15/06 (wedding date). I'll keep posting to keep everyone updated. I'm glad I didn't go with my original estimate with no warranty, I think this is the more professional answer, whether I get the install or not.

TurfdudeNCSU
04-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I would charge $7,110.00 for the trees... that's 60% markup, and and $4,600.00 to install them. No matter how long it takes we figure labor by % of material. Total $11,710.00... not to bad for a day and half work.

PSUturf
04-12-2006, 10:58 PM
$10,000 minimum with no guarantee

AGLA
04-13-2006, 07:18 AM
I wonder how much the wedding cake costs? Let's see. There is flour, eggs, sugar,... and a plastic groom and bride and the ionic style pilars to hold up the anniversary cake. That should be about $40 with no guaranty.

grasswhacker
04-13-2006, 07:28 AM
I'm installing ninety 6' arbs, I get them wholesale for 49 each I mark up a total of 11%, 5% for me 6% for state tax (st8 the customer though). So that's $4895 not including delivery or labor. My question is what is a good install price for 90. No ammendments will be used, and I use an auger to dig all the holes. I was thinking of charging $1890 for install and then deliv. So looking at my end (labor) only, a 5% mark up on 90 plants is 220.50, add labor and delivery at 1965.50 for a total of 2185.50. I've installed many arbs so no freak out about ammending please.

Hmmm you can buy the same size at Lowes for 32.98. Up 3.00 from last year with a 1 year plant guarantee.

PSUturf
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Buying any plants from Lowes or Home Depot is a gamble. If you can get the plants as they come off of the delivery truck then go for it. Once they have been in the store 'nursery' for a few days you never know how they have been cared for. Main problem is lack of water. You get what you pay for.

daveyo
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Alright, I feel good about the estimate I gave, however I think agla is getting taken for a ride for charging only $40.00 for the wedding cake. Grasswhacker that's not a bad idea maybe I can talk to them to see if I could get a fresh shipment of 90 trees in. PSU turf has a point I think they have to be right off the truck, I know for a fact those guys don't care for those trees like they should.

grasswhacker
04-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Alright, I feel good about the estimate I gave, however I think agla is getting taken for a ride for charging only $40.00 for the wedding cake. Grasswhacker that's not a bad idea maybe I can talk to them to see if I could get a fresh shipment of 90 trees in. PSU turf has a point I think they have to be right off the truck, I know for a fact those guys don't care for those trees like they should.

There is a one year replacement guarantee and it is the same stock as many nursuries, just look at the tags. I have not had any problem with them.

PSUturf
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
They may warranty the plant but whose labor is removing the dead and planting the new?

grasswhacker
04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
They may warranty the plant but whose labor is removing the dead and planting the new?

Let's see 90 x 49.00 = $4410 x 111% =$4895.00 (485.00) profit
no guarantee they all make it either

Now 33.00 x 90=2970+ 1440= 4410. Now you have a profit of $1440 on plants, a one year guarantee and for $1000.00 extra you can afford to replace 1 or 2 that may not make it! :hammerhead:

PSUturf
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Dead plants in the eyes of the customer make you look bad. Buy and plant quality nursery stock and you will be certain to have happier customers who will hire you again and again.

grasswhacker
04-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Dead plants in the eyes of the customer make you look bad. Buy and plant quality nursery stock and you will be certain to have happier customers who will hire you again and again.

LOL so you have never had nursery plants die on you? :dizzy:
Most of the time new plants die because of improper install, client neglect due to under/over watering, or putting down some cheap hardwood mulch that crusts over and robs the plants of moisture and nutrients.

Dirty Water
04-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I could never charge that much for arbovitea installation because the local home depot says the same size arb for $9.99!!!!

Everyone knows it too.

PSUturf
04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
GrassWhacker - I have never purchased a plant from Home Depot but have a landscaper friend who did. He bought 20 arbs from HD in September. They had a few brown needles here and there. The day after he planted them he said he had a bad feeling about these arbs. They were mulched, soil moisture was checked at least 3 times a week by him. By the end of October, 8 were dead due to water stress from their time spent at Home Depot.

Most plants die because of the customers watering (usually lack of) or being planted too deep. If I personally do the planting and monitor watering my survival rate the first year is about 98%. So yes I do lose a few plants every now and then.

grasswhacker
04-19-2006, 07:54 AM
GrassWhacker - I have never purchased a plant from Home Depot but have a landscaper friend who did. He bought 20 arbs from HD in September. They had a few brown needles here and there. The day after he planted them he said he had a bad feeling about these arbs. They were mulched, soil moisture was checked at least 3 times a week by him. By the end of October, 8 were dead due to water stress from their time spent at Home Depot.

Most plants die because of the customers watering (usually lack of) or being planted too deep. If I personally do the planting and monitor watering my survival rate the first year is about 98%. So yes I do lose a few plants every now and then.

Notice I did not say Home Depot?