PDA

View Full Version : Don't you love these calls?

nlminc
04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Caller:
I hear you offer landscape design services?

Me: Yes I do.

Caller: Well, I have my own ideas, but I'm calling several companies to get ideas and see who will give us other ideas and the best price for the plant material to be installed.

Me: Would you like a design? This will cost in the $300.00 dollar range and up depending upon the complexity of the job.

Caller: I don't need to pay for a design, I know what I like and what I'm talking about.

Me: Well, If you have a design for all of your prospective contractors to bid on then you will be comparing apples to apples.

Caller: I don't care about comparing apples to apples. I know what I like and I'm able to choose what would work from ideas. You sound like you're to busy?

Me: That's right I am!

MarcSmith
04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
sound like they just wanted you to buy the plants and install them per the design they had in mind....would not have been a horrible job, but I could see teh callers "can you move this 4" caliper tree 2 feet to the left" after youve removed the wire basket and planted and mulched.

I always did designs for free. But I never left the designs in their hands. I came with the design, I left with the design. If they wanted the design to stay after I left. I got a check., which was applied towards the landscape job if they signed.

Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet though....

SOMM
04-11-2006, 11:15 PM
They actually think you don't consult with the township regarding permissable designs or call in the utilities to mark their lines, and feel you really "got it made" asking for a design fee to do all this legwork.

That's the point we refer those kind of ignorant-azzed mfrs to several local garden centers who are better set-up to consult with them FREE ...by highly trained $8.75-per-hour staff who have never or will never set foot upon their premises. :hammerhead:

If they want it to look like a pro design, then they got to pay for a pro's intellectual property in the design fee.
They're welcome to keep it for their use thereafter, it's been properly remitted for.
:walking:

Brianslawn
04-12-2006, 12:04 AM
let the desperate lawnboys deal with them. if people want to work for free. let them. they wont be in biz much longer anyways.

hell... theres a newbie here so desperate for work hes offering free lawnmowing.