View Full Version : My trip to NJ DMV today...about class A

04-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Since i am buying a 14k gvw trailer i figure i better go make sure i don't need a CDL to tow it. I go down to the MVC office and tell them i will be towing a 14k gvw with a 9000gvw truck. They i talked to 3 different people. They all looked at me like it was the dumbest question ever and than said 'No i don't need a cdl'.

So i guess in NJ i am ok.


04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey mrusk, Where you out of???
I just had a buddy pulled over on 80 last week for being over the weight limit required for having a cdl! I'll have to check with him again for the details, if your interested!?


04-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm from northen NJ.

Yea check with your buddy. i'd apperciate it!

04-11-2006, 11:51 PM
The law says if your trailer is over 10,000 lbs. a class A CDL is required.

04-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Since i am ... towing a 14k gvw with a 9000gvw truck. .. than said 'No i don't need a cdl'.Matt

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

reading between the lines... 26001 GVWR triggers CDL need, over 26k PLUS TOWING with trailer rating under 10k = B; -but with trailer rating over 10k = A

REMEMBER... It is the GVWR, Not the actual weight. It's an expensive ticket, so I keep a CDL (with DOT medical card - required...)

04-12-2006, 07:57 AM
i will tell you there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in what the half breeds at DMV tell you and what the staties are gonna write you a ticket for. i'd call your local state police barracks and ask them...

04-12-2006, 09:12 AM

class a is need if you drive

-A tractor trailer
-A truck and trailer with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GCWR of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.

Thats word for words. What do you think of that? I think its acctually pretty clear.

04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I thought that regs were federal...in which case an trailer over 10k needs a CDL A....then if the combination is over 26k you need DOT numbers and a medical card too

04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
your GCWR triggers the CDL requirements.

GCWR over 26,000#s requires a CDL

truck 9,900# GVWR + trailer 18,000# GVWR = 27,900# GCWR

truck 20,000#GCWR + trailer 10,000#GVWR = 30,000#GCWR

truck 9,900#GVWR + trailer 14,000#GVWR = 23,900#GCWR

truck 20,000#GVWR + trailer 5,000#GVWR = 25,000# GCWR

04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
you need DOT numbers if your GVWR is over 18,000#s

you need commericial plates if your GVWR is over 12,500#s

you need CDL A if your GCWR is over 26,000#s

im going through this whole process right now registering for these numbers and my new trucks. iv talked to state police, and state DOT inspectors. Above is the simple answer.

04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Just what janb said. You can also contact you local law enforcement. The Michigan STate Police have always been helpful whenever we have had questions. We also carry a truck drivers guidebook in each truck for reference.

04-13-2006, 01:11 AM
FWIW - Here is the answer "who needs a CDL" from the state of Michigan site:

04-13-2006, 01:12 AM
you need commericial plates if your GVWR is over 12,500#s

FTR - I think this might different state to state.

04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
yea the commerical weights are probably is different state to state, but the cdl regulations are federal i believe. not sure about dot numbers, but 18,000#s is the number in CT

04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
hey cutright you talked wth the DOT, we ordered a GMC 5500 at 19,500k, this needs DOT numbers lettered on it correct? does the driver also need a medical card? Also heard something about over 18,000k needs to be lettered with your company, is this true?

Thanks for the help

04-13-2006, 04:40 PM
ok so your 5500 with a 19,500# gvwr needs Dot numbers and it needs to be lettered with your company. (thats all part of the over 18,000#s requirements) im not positive about the medical card, i believe that may only be if your in CDL territory.

You can pick up the packet to apply for your DOT #s at the Wethersfield DMV, maybe at other branches, but im not sure, Wethersfield is where i talked to the State trooper/DOT inspector and he gave me the papers. It explains everything in that packet.

Go to the commerical vehicles department on the 2nd floor at the Wethersfield DMV and they can help you. I cant remember the officers name off the top of my head, but he was very helpful. his office is up there also.

04-13-2006, 07:26 PM
thanks for the help, we have DOT number already, we just didn't want to draw attention to ourself on this trucj if it wasn't neceasary but it looks like it is going to have to be numbered and lettered. Our F550 at 17,500k doesn't have anything on it, so your right about the 18,000k and up...our consultant said that if we pull our 12k trailer with the f550 we need to show the DOT number, even just a piece of paper displaying it so thats what we usually do in that case...thanks for clarifying

04-14-2006, 01:46 PM
your GCWR triggers the CDL requirements.

truck 20,000#GCWR + trailer 10,000#GVWR = 30,000#GCWR


I agree with all the scenarios you outlined except this one. Note the part about:

"Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

To me, this means that you're not into CDL territory until your trailers is rated rated for 10,001# or more, and your GCWR is above #26000.

I have always believed that you could legally have a 26000# truck towing a 10000# trailer and not be required to carry a CDL. Of course, the officer who pulls you over may see it differently...:dizzy:

Take care...


Tim Wright
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
DMV people do not know much about "highway" laws.

Here in Martinsburg, WV, last year I went in to the DMV to title and plate a trailer that I had just bought from Tenessee (No title or plates required) and they tried to give me a "Motor Vehicle Title Application."

Can you believe it.

I told the lady, this is the wrong form. She just looked at me like I was an idiot. Then I said, "my trailer has no engine or steering wheel, this is the wrong form."

Ooohhhhhh, then with a bit of rummaging through a file cabinat she produces the trailer title application.


04-16-2006, 11:00 PM
electra glide,

you're correct, that was a mistake on my part. what i meant was in excess of 10,000#s so yea

truck 20,000# trailer 10,001# = 30,001#s GCWR

thanks for pointing it out. this stuff is confusing enough as it is.

not many people know the laws for sure and even the DOT officers and inspectors that ive talked to have told me that there is no clear answer for a lot of this stuff and that there is no real documentation anywhere that clearly defines every aspect of the laws.