PDA

View Full Version : Diesel truck question

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
We are looking at getting a diesel truck perrty soon. Just wondering the difference in mileage between the Powerstroke and Duramax engines. Anyone recomend one over the other or regret getting a diesel truck in general?

lawnmaniac883
04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, #1 on my list is dodge/cummins but out of those two I would go with chevy/duramax.

Sharky
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Same answer. cummins, duramax then powerstroke. I don't think that there is a big difference in mileage between them. It all depends on gearing, what you are pulling and how you drive it.

newlooklandscp
04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I would say cummins (but the trucks are junk that they come in), the powerstroke, and then the duramax. The duramax get the best mpg but the cummins has the most power. I buy Fords and thats it so I have two powerstorkes. There the mid range but I like them alot and there easier to fix (if you ever need to but not likely) than the others. The durmax is the most expensive engine out there but Ford is by far the toughest truck/body out there. It depends if your more interested in the engine or the truck.

Ken

Travis Followell
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
I would go with the Powerstroke if you have a good dealer. I assume your planning on getting a new one. The 6.0's are good engines for the most part and everyone that I know is happy with them. The Ford truck is probibly the best truck. The Chevy's have a weaker frame and suspension. I would say the mileage between the two is probibly about the same. We have an 03 Duramax 2500 HD 4x4 CC that gets around 17-18 mpg combined city/highway/country road driving empty. We rarely ever pull anything with it.

lawnmaniac883
04-12-2006, 08:38 PM
BTW, not to start a flamewar but the 48RE transmission behind the cummins has been damn near bulletproof at stock power levels. It has had the best track record out of all 3 including the ford torqshift and the chevy allison. True that the truck a cummins comes with isnt the best but the engines in all 3 should outlast the body anyway.

Jamesgateslandscaping
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
After getting my duramax, I would buy another one in a heart beat, it is quick, powerful and the transmission is bulletproof and very, very smooth, I would take a test drive in each and see how they all feel.
James

ripple
04-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Duramax only. And you dont need a good dealer for support. I have combined @200000 miles between 2 duramaxes and nothing but oil changes, fuel filters and a couple of injectors on the house!
As far as mileage goes I get 17 mpg empty and 13 loaded on both trucks.
And they both are pulling heavy loads/trailers 50% of the time.

2001 Duramax Allison Crew Cab 4x4 Dually
2003 Duramax Allison Reg Cab 4X4 Dually
My next truck will be a Duramax.
www.dieselplace.com

jtkplc
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Cummins, best diesel engine, period. It has the best powerband of the Big 3's diesel engines. Dodge has fixed the transmission problems from the 2nd generation Rams, that is no longer a legitimate complaint of the Dodges.

TerraVenture
04-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I have an 04 f550 that I love the engine but they are expensive. The maintneance, fuel and initial cost are all higher that a gas. I would have a hard time going back to gas however. since my truck is a dump and an F550 I don't get very good mileage. I checked yesterday after 250 miles of driving probably 50% of towing capacity I got 7.8mpg. When it was new with nothing in it I only got just under 10mpg. Towing, gearing and aerodynamics have a lot to do with fuel mileage. On my old 96 f350 rack body dump I got a consitent 12 mpg with the racks on empty, without the racks I got just under 16mpg empty.

Hope this helps

allinearth
04-13-2006, 07:12 AM
All things considered.....Duramax/Allison. I have never seen or had any problems with a truck's frame(unless wrecked). However, power plant and drive train is a different story. My new one is on order.:)

RedWingsDet
04-13-2006, 06:36 PM
If I was buying a new truck and didnt have a price range, It'd be a Dodge Ram Mega Cab with the Cummins, then a GMC/Chevy SLT with the Dmax, then the Powerstroke with the king ranch or harley package. All are good IMO and ALL have their PROBLEMS.
Dodge has fixed the transmission problems from the 2nd generation Rams, that is no longer a legitimate complaint of the Dodges.

I wish everyone would realize that.