PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseed!

JRSlawn
04-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I have been getting allot of request for hydroseeding. I am looking to buy a machine and am not looking to spend allot of cash. What should I look out for with adding this service. Can I get decent results out of a machine that will only do paper mulch or should I get something that will do a wood blend? I need help here. I will probably only use is 10-20 times a year. if that. HELP ME PLEASE :hammerhead:

richallseasons
04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
i too get requests for that service but i sub it out to a guy with the right equipment,maybe further down the road we will get into it also but the way i look at it is this-from past experience every time i bought a piece of equipment and went small because i didn't want to spend as much as for the piece i knew i really needed.I ended up spending more because i had to replace it with the right equipment after all,so now when i make a large purchase i make sure I'm getting a large enough or powerful enough model.but this is just my personal experience.

Mike33
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I just purchased one last year. I got tired of straw blowing so finally i bit the bullet. Okey, i researched for 6 months and couldnt spend the big money either. There are 2 machines mechanical agitator or jet. Buy a mechanical i have a turf maker. They have a web site search hydroseeder then go in to them. I wanted to elimanate straw so i use the 1 step method evry thing is mixed seed, lime, fert, mulch, tac and applied in 1 step. I really got my feet wet with this because i learned a new concept of seeding. There are so many additives, etc., to make a more quality lawn out there i was not aware of. I use a 70-30 wood blend mulch it will only go thru a mechical machine. The jet will only apply the paper mulch. The paper mulch is only good for appling it and the tac over the straw. I did 7 yards last fall with it and got around 98 % coverage. I have the turf maker 550 it holds 500 gal. of water then i carrry a nurse tank 500 gal. on my trailer. I didnt want to buy a truck to haul it on so i chose a 12000 gvw 18' trailer. With this system i can pump the water with the seeder from the nurse tank so i actually carry 1000 gal of water. My complete system: Seeder, nurse tank, trailer, honda port. pump, i have less than $ 15,000.00 invested. I also use my F-350 srw to pull it with and have no problem. It is something i dont feel you make a lot of money from but is a great convience, and faster. Also other contractors will start calling you. Each tank load covers about 5000 sq'. The mulch application is so important also i use an additive when it gets wet the mulch will retain the water better. You will get no weeds from this kind of mulch either. If you have a lot of money Finn is good but i could actually replace my pump 11 times for the price difference of a finn. I have 200' of 1.5" hose that i can pump a thick slurry thru. If you have any other question please feel free to contact me. bobcatservice33@yahoo.com
Mike

AintNoFun
04-12-2006, 07:01 PM
we purchased a finn t120 last year. but prior to that we used to rent a t60 or t90 i believe from sunbelt rentals, give them a call it was pretty reasonable to rent too...

Mike33
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
we purchased a finn t120 last year. but prior to that we used to rent a t60 or t90 i believe from sunbelt rentals, give them a call it was pretty reasonable to rent too...
how many gal. is yout FINN T120. i LOOKED AT fINN REAL CLOSE BUT couldnt justify the price difference
mike

AintNoFun
04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
1200 gallon with a kubota diesel motor...

Rollacosta
04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Hydro seeding has never realy took off over here for some reason.

Mike33
04-13-2006, 05:17 PM
1200 gallon with a kubota diesel motor...
Thats a nice machine.
Mike

Planet Landscaping
04-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Finn makes a great machine. See below :clapping:

lawnkid
04-13-2006, 11:21 PM
My buddy that does all my hydroseeding uses a Finn T-120 on a 2004 Chevy 7500 flatbed. It's a nice machine no doubt. He does over probably 1 million sq. ft. of hydroseeding a year between his business and mine and he swears by the thing. He also has a small T60 for small jobs but is selling it cuz he doesn't use it much. Yes the Finns are more expensive but I think they are well worth the money. The mechanical agitation is a must. Next time I'm at his shop I'll take a pic.

Mike33
04-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Finn makes a great machine. See below :clapping:
i agree finn does make a good machine, however my turfmaker for the money does well. I wasent sure how much i would use one is why i didnt go the big buck way. Im a small company and dont care to hydro seed every day. I mainly seed my own jobs and a few for other contractors.
mike

AintNoFun
04-14-2006, 08:38 PM
not to hate on your machine but you really cant compare the two..

i agree finn does make a good machine, however my turfmaker for the money does well. I wasent sure how much i would use one is why i didnt go the big buck way. Im a small company and dont care to hydro seed every day. I mainly seed my own jobs and a few for other contractors.
mike

Mike33
04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
no offence taken, but wondering the difference? If comparing my turf maker to your finn and both machines is the same gal. capacity what are we looking for. Now with my machine i use 200 lb. 70-30 wood blend in my 500 gal. and 2 days ago i had to pump up hill thru 200' of hose and it worked well. What will the finn do different compaing apples to apples on same size machine. I would say the steel tanks are about the same, my paddle is good size and agitates very well and takes very little time to mix. The pump is easy access and delivers a thick slurry thru 1.5" hose 200' up hill and sprayed add. 35' up hill. These are the things i looked at last year when i was purchasing a machine and felt the turf maker for the money would work well. With my set up trailer and add. 500 gal. nurse tank , i had less then 15k invested. I talked to finn and there set up like this was around 28k. I now Finn is top of the line but what am i lacking at with my set up comparing the 2 machines. Finn told me there pump would last a lot longer, my pump to replace is 1,100.00 but can be rebuilt a few times before replacement. Doing the math i could replace my pump 9-10 times for the price difference of the 2 machines.

Mike

kootoomootoo
04-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Used a turfmaker for a few years .......worked great ............finn way to expensive for the exact same result.

AintNoFun
04-15-2006, 09:43 AM
well im not really comparing manufacturers.. finn may build a worse machine than turfmaker or vice versa. but what i meant was comparing a mechanical agitation to jet.. before i bought our finn i demoed, looked at a few machines. i think there is nothing wrong with jet but for speed of mixing and thickness of slurries mechanical comes out stronger... on another note not to bash jets, we are doing mostly municipal/dot work with 100's of thousands of sq. ft.... but if we were doing residential i think a jet machine would be fine.

Mike33
04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
okey, i was only told jets wouldnt pump a thick slurry never tried one . I do all res.lawns
mike

Idealtim
04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
If your not going to be using it exclusively, renting will be the way to go.

Mike33
04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
True renting is a good option, but in my area we have 1 rental place with 1 hydro seeder need to say any more? They charge 300.00 a day to rent and after i bought mine last year we seeded 7 yards. This year we have done 6 already and being contacted by other contractors to seed foe them. It kind of took my business to a further step forward. There are only 2 other landscapers in my area with hydro seeders. I charge 6 cents a sq. foot and it isnt really a super money maker but 1 great convience for us. Also this past week we were to wet to top soil new yard installs, we were able to go out and hydro seed some banks we had on the schedule. Making money on a wet day can really help.
mike