PDA

View Full Version : lawn striping, cont.

ejenkins
05-09-2001, 12:38 AM
Hey Eric, if you are there is there anything else you can add to Joshua's reply to me about mowing height for bermuda to enable striping?

joshua
05-11-2001, 12:49 AM
ok, i just got a new lawn book and i looked up bermuda gras and he says you can cut it at 1.5 inches.

when you say you want to enable stripping, do you mean you don't want to strip the lawn? if so just go around the lawn in a circle, but that really isn't very good for the lawn, and is really tough on thw mower.

CLM1
05-11-2001, 07:21 AM
I have a customer whose neighbor has a beautiful bermuda lawn. After installation (it's sod) he had it top dressed witha very good quality mix of sand and peat then had it rolled. You can putt on thsi guys lawn. The cut?...1/2" cut with a reel mower. I've watched the co. who has his acct. do it more than once and it looks great!

George777
05-14-2001, 09:04 PM
Most of my customers have Bermuda and I like to maintain at 2". and during summer I will raise the deck to 2.5". During the dry season you may want to raise your deck up a bit. Where I live many homeowners want to scalp the turf. It loks bad when it is hot and dry out.
As for stripping my 48" does a great job even on Bermuda. The stripes wont last long but it looks awesome after it's cut.

Eric ELM
05-16-2001, 08:58 PM
ejenkins, what makes grass stripe better is when the grass is taller. Short grass won't bend very good or stay bent very long. This is basically what striping is, bending of the grass to get the light - dark colors.