PDA

View Full Version : Who pays for lost/stolen blower?

ripple
04-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Sent the 2 man crew out today to finish a small job then had them return to shop to reload with mulch to go to next job. When they get to shop tailgate is down and the blower is gone. They went back to look for it and could not find it.
As the owner of the business can/do I make them pay for another blower?
Or do I have to just go out and buy another? And eat the cost.
:hammerhead:

oslo
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
You can try it, but it is illegal to charge them for it in PA without their consent. You can't take anything non tax related out of an employees check w/o their written consent in advance. Alot of lawncare employees are not that well versed on the law though and you could probably get away with it.

If you pay them in cash, then you can definitely get away with it, but if they are decent employees otherwise, you may not want to lose them over a blower. Write them up, or can them, but if you keep them make sure they understand the $$ they cost you with their carelessness.

If your gonna keep em, tell them you were about to give them a raise in pay, but the cost of replacement of the blower will prevent the raise at this time, so at least in their mind they are paying a price for it as well.

Xterminator
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I had an employee that was bad about leaving stuff on the job. I asked him if he had everything, and he said he did looking in the rearview mirror I saw a shovel. I blew a gasket, his comment was its only a shovel. He is no longer employeed by me

sheshovel
04-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Is your insurance deductable low enought to make it worth it to turn it in?If not you have to buy another blower.I would not charge the employee for it..that's what insurance is for..I am sure they did not do it on purpose.Chances you take when you send people out to work with equipment you pay for..write it off as a business loss.

DynaMow
04-13-2006, 12:06 AM
IMO if they are an employee you do not have much of a choice, cost of doing business. May be some insurance would be to change pay to hourly plus bonuses. cause with bonuses.

TJLANDS
04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Is your insurance deductible low enought to make it worth it to turn it in?If not you have to buy another blower.I would not charge the employee for it..that's what insurance is for..I am sure they did not do it on purpose.Chances you take when you send people out to work with equipment you pay for..write it off as a business loss.
Is your deductible low enough that you would report a blower worth $500
to your insurance company? Would you really want to report it anyway, insurance companies are always looking for an excuse to raise your insurance.

bullethead
04-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Nip it in the bud, now. If you don't establish some accountability from your employees, equipment will continue to walk away. My ee's pay for half the cost of stolen equipment. Funny how we don't lose much stuff anymore. If you continue to eat the cost, the problem aint going to go away. Been there, done that.

Badgerz
04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Last fall my wife was driving down our street and saw a nice commercial trimmer laying next to the road. She easily could have snagged it for me but we're honest people so she set it behind a large dumpster and we waited around for the lawn boys to come back. Sure enough within half an hour they were back. My wife went to ask them if they lost anything and this kid was beside himself saying he had left a trimmer behind and his boss was pretty angry and if he didn't find this $400 trimmer he would be fired etc.

My wife told him where it was and the kid looked like he had just won the lotto. He phoned his boss on a cell he had and the boss asked to talked to my wife. He thanked her and offered to do any reasonable amount of work we wanted for free just because of her honesty. We lived in an apartment at the time so we couldn't really take him up on his offer.

Anyway, write him up. Make it very well known that there will be consequences for this stuff and they had better start to respect the equipment or they can go work at Burger King.

mrbray101
04-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I think this time you should eat the cost, maybe make a rule from now on employees pay half cost of lost equipment. There was a guy I worked with who we found out later had actual hid a chainsaw and went back to get it after work. He said it must have got "lost"

ripple
04-13-2006, 11:00 PM
well thanks for the replies....This is begining of season and these are new guys working so...I give them the benefit of the doubt for the first time...Next time not so lucky...

dwlah
04-14-2006, 12:08 AM
This is how it works on my regular job at the hospital we dont lose stuff since this started being enforced
1st time warning
2nd time 5 days in the street
3rd time to the street permanently

Coreyb
04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
hold them accountable. if they know there is no penalty they will remain careless. if they know it's gonna hit their wallets, it's amazing how much more responsible they become. don't make them buy a brand new blower unless the one that was lost was brand new. i usually make them pay a percentage depending on the unit lost or damaged. also, make the entire crew pay, not just one guy. they don't want to pay, get rid of them.

topsites
04-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Sent the 2 man crew out today to finish a small job then had them return to shop to reload with mulch to go to next job. When they get to shop tailgate is down and the blower is gone. They went back to look for it and could not find it.
As the owner of the business can/do I make them pay for another blower?
Or do I have to just go out and buy another? And eat the cost.
:hammerhead:

No sir, the customer eats the cost of stolen equipment, even the more reason to instill the fear of God in your workers should anything get stolen. Keep in mind to some degree theft is inevitable, but if the opportunity can be denied I dare say at least half of all thefts are foiled.

Littleriver1
04-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Lost or stolen? It does make a difference. I think I would have to set them all down one at a time. Try to find out for sure. The reason crime is so high is because it is so easy.

oslo
04-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Craig had a good idea with the hourly + bonus. In PA it is the only legal way to make the employee "pay" for it, and the employees will usually take that extra minute to take care of the "little details" if they know it determines whether or not they get a bonus at the end of the month. Tie the bonus into attendance, care of equipment, and performance.

Some people don't agree with this and figure pay the employees as little as possible and not care if they lose people, but the part of business I hate most is finding decent new employees. Costs a little but reduces my headaces alot knowing that my employees are going to show up every day and pay attention to detail.