PDA

View Full Version : High Voltage?

Travisty
04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey guys,
Had a guy call me out the other day for a small job in his backyard. Quick job so I gave him the bid and he asked me to take a look at the front yard lights that weren't working at all. Problem was it's line voltage. I told him I couldn't do anything with it because It was line voltage and I'm not an electrician. I did pull one of the covers to see if he was even getting power to Ballasts and photocell. I pulled the ballast to check the power and it was packed full of Fireants.!! When I say packed I mean the whole thing had a nest in it. I check the others and every one of them had a nest in it.
So two questions first; Is this common??
Second; He said he was having to change the par38's on the house all the time. Is it illegal for me to unscrew and screw new lights in to these sockets?
I know it sounds stupid, but I want to do everything by the book.

I guess I do have a third question... He was buying the spots from Home Depot. Are these bulbs lower hours than a better quality lamp?

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes

Travisty
04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry to keep posting but I thought of one other question.
Does a 50watt Par38 put out a lot more light than a MR16 LV 50watt?
the reason for my question is that everyone I keep putting lighting in for is comparing my stuff to every other house around them with line voltage.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes

eskerlite
04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
The mr -16 50 watt flood is approx, 3 times brighter than 50 watt 120 volt. Its part of the low voltage advantage. 1/3 the watts at the meter.