PDA

View Full Version : arsenic in landscape timbers

Lawngeek
05-09-2001, 09:55 PM
I recently built a 12 by 32 vegetable garden frame w my landlord using treated timbers now will the aresenic leach into the garden soil and poison us do I need to make a barrier?

wd
05-13-2001, 02:28 AM
You're more apt to get far more arsenic from your tap water (and other natural sources) than from your garden timbers.

Dusty
05-24-2001, 01:28 AM
There is presently a ground water arsenic analysis going on in New England by a government agency. It seems that there is a vain of arsenic that goes from Maine to New Jersey and it is believed to be leaching into the ground water. It came up last fall at a town meeting in Woodstock, Ct and nothing has been mentioned since. I believe that it was the EPA that was conducting the study. There has also been a study of acid rain effect on pressure treated lumber and it has shown to be a cause of arsenic contamination of soil. I don't know the particulars of this study, but just heard about it in a magazine article last winter. That is all the information that I can provide.

Atlantic Lawn
05-24-2001, 08:15 AM
There are different levels of treatment in timbers. Pilings used in building docks and bulkheads have much higher levels of tratment. I would worry more about splinters I get from those timbers than eating the veggies. You could always wrap the in ground timbers in black plastic and shed the water away from the garden area.