PDA

View Full Version : yaupon holly help

scottt
05-09-2001, 10:07 PM
About a month or two ago, I replaced some shrubs at a home that was built about a year ago. Everything went well except for the yaupon holly. It is by itself, seperated from the other beds by the driveway. The original yaupon died and they called me to replace it along with a few other shrubs. I replace it and in less than five days, half of the leaves had turned black. I replaced it with another yaupon and it did fine for 2 or 3 weeks and now it's leaves are beginning to turn black. I am wondering if there is a problem with the soil. I am going to have a soil test done at my expense. I am thinking this because all the other plants are doing fine, and this one is seperated from them. If anyone has any ideas on what it could be, please let me know. Also if it is a soil problem, should I have the customer pay for the new plant and I supply the labor or should I just eat the cost. I just don't want to buy a third plant for the same spot. By the way I'm in NE Oklahoma.

EarthWorks
05-10-2001, 08:10 AM
I would check how much water it is getting also. Maybe because it is by itself homeowner doesn't get water to it? Irrigation not covering that area. Any other plants or grass around it showing bad signs? I have planted youpons that got dry and all leaves dropped. Given enough water and time most spring back within a month.

curlawngreen
05-10-2001, 09:42 AM
It could be spider mites or a fungus .

diginahole
05-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Black leaves would indicate overwatering rather than underwatering and spidermites would turn leaves yellow or very pale green. A fungus or overwatering sounds most reasonable to me. I think if it were a fungus the leaves would fall off and if it were overwatering the leaves would remain on the plant. Please note that I am not a horticultural expert as much as a hardscape expert, so
I could be all wet here.:)

greens1
05-10-2001, 07:16 PM
Sounds like chemicle poisioning, or wet feet. The only three things that can cause death that quick, without some obvious causation are:

1) root rot, most probable, cheak for a broken or leaking irrigation line.

2) chemicle, 2,4 D or petrolium distilate, send in a soil sample

3) Electricle short, voltage bleed off from a shorted underground line.

Good Luck,
Jim L:eek: