PDA

View Full Version : Hardscape Projects "Gone Bad"

Pavers Plus
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm curious to see if everyone can post pictures of bad paver/wall installations that you may have seen in your travels. Here are a few I can donate to the cause:

Pavers Plus
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
more pictures

Pavers Plus
04-13-2006, 06:11 PM
more pictures of bad installs

Itsgottobegreen
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Are these from around here? Cause I got a bunch I could add to it. I don't do hardscapes and man those are crappy jobs. I sub all my hardscapes to one of the best hardscape guys around here.

cgland
04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Adam - Did you hack into my computer and steal my portfolio?;) j/k
I don't think I've laughed so hard in my life. And to think, this is our competition.:hammerhead:

I have a few. These were taken from a job that was next to one of ours..................................Yeah....Next to! LOL

Chris

AL Inc
04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I was going to say my first few jobs would definitely qualify...I don't think I'm going to post pics, though:o

PSUturf
04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh my god. All of those jobs must have been done on Friday afternoon

SOMM
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
The 1st "stacks" were really wacked, and the driveway lamp post pitch, too funny. Supv was gone, training the new guys.

Aside from the pitch of the drives and walks which is a good thing to drain off snow and ice, and you always want a slight pitch away from the building - perhaps you see other things that alot of us don't. You may want to try some arrows or lines from a paint program on some of the same pics so we can all can benefit better by your expertise about the pics:

-All the surface pavers look great (except for some rough cuts on the dark mulched bordered light gray walk, true).

-The Circular Front Walk looks alright. (bad choice of regular gray wallstone to be untumbled like the circle walk is, true.)

-The last Brown Wall and steps looks especially well done (wierd choice of pavers to go with it, true).

Sure, these maybe arent all the finest or your own choice of materials and/or craftsmanship used, but you get what you pay for and pay for what you get in the Market. These aren't million and a three quarter dollar homes with outdoor granite topped islands, either, friend. And when a homeowner's getting 5-1 for their landscape dollar in many markets - most all the above look a heck of alot better than zero-landscaping or just plain poured concrete. Besides if the builder did it themselves because they "thought" (lol) they could do it better than a f/t landscape outfit like all of us here on Lawnsite, then builder may have even got paid better than many of us here would like to think, laughing all te way to the bank, and finally putting that knuclehead drop-out nephew to work landscaping for him real cheap.

lawnkid
04-13-2006, 11:30 PM
WOW Somm,
How can you not see the mistakes. I am no paver expert but I know how to do a quality job. They are clearly obvious in all the pics.

1st pic- Dry stacked wall looks terrible, no uniformity in them, the steps are all uneven, and way too much sand on the bottom of the steps. I hope that's jusr concrete sand and not poly.

2nd pic- Paver quilting looks good but looks like their base wasn't very good along the siding of the house cuz that all sunk(probably a pool after rainfall), and look at the steps. Blocks used for bottom step and pavers stacked on top of another for the second step. Looks very shoddy and unprofessional to have that structure first of all let alone two differnt step heights.

3rd pic- Look at the stairs against the house. The whole staircase is uneven and the blocks on the right side of the steps are also falling off. Nice ramp in the pavers going up to the house too, haha. And looks like they used that cheap black plastic edging as a restraint and it's hanging above the surface of the pavers instead of holding the sand in. Oh and I also don't like the beds
sloping up to the raised patio. Talk about luch washout on the lawn and good luck planting something that will look good in there.

4th pic- Steps again from the side view that shows two differnt materials used. And again you can see the nice little ramp and cheap plastic edging.

5th pic-Bad bad bad! Soldier course is wavy, cuts are bad most likely cause from not overlaying and most likely no edging restraint.

6th pic-Chipped stair blocks, tons of sand, and by also by the time you steo outside the door you're already at the edge of the top step. Again poor quailty all around. Probably got blocks for half off.

7th pic-Cuts into wall aren't very good. One wall block and cap almost look rusty to me. Not sure what that is. And also not crazy about the way the blocks are laid on the one wall. It goes from the top, Cap>one row of 135 mm> one row of 90 mm> one row of 135mm> two rows of 90mm>one row of 135mm, three rows of 90mm.

8th pic-Again with the rows of 90mm and 135mm Celtik for the walls and then the unmatched caps and unmatched wall block on the bottom right of the pic.

9th pic-Uneven steps, couple step block are chipped, and looks like some big gaps in the stairs too.

10th pic-Chipped block and in the middle and then it looks like they cut a wall block thin and glued it to another to give it some added size. "Hardto explain but noticeable. Wall blocks are also stacked in an ugle unmatched way. It's like someone just stacked a bunch of stuff and no pattern or consistency.

11th pic-Bad cuts, didn't overlay, probably no restraint, and whole walk is wavy

12th pic- HOLY PILLAR is all I have to say.

13th pic- Not really sure about this one, split countertop maybe idk help me out.

14t pic- And I have to say the pavers look good from far, could be far from good, but the wall is uneven and the grade from the yard looks like it's going right into the house not away.

Those are just the ones I spotted, anyone care to add to what I've found? When I first started I thought all pavers looked good and none of that crap mattered but now after taking classes, attending manufacturer seminars, and viewing pics on Lawnsite, I see the differences in people's work. I myself am a perfectionist so no one tells me to cut corners or use bad material or products. If the customer wants that they can find someone else, not ruining my image....

Dirty Water
04-13-2006, 11:52 PM
#14 has horrible step design.

CGland...is it just me, or do those walls have no buried course?

SOMM
04-14-2006, 12:47 AM
What's keeping the builder from using shoddy workmanship, if he's allowed to, and cashing in??

Around here about 10 years ago, the good old boy town fathers from one part of town allowed a new home developer's retaining wall crew to install railroad tiewalls on mud bed 10 feet below ground level to retain an 8 foot deep man-made lake 10 feet away from home foundations along 22 acres of "shoreline". The 10 year old waterfront community had the courtesy of the township finally draining the lake last summer so each homeowner's contractor of choice could install 80 lb wall block retaining walls on concrete piers and all underwater portions backfilled with poured concrete.

We got 3 seperate properties contracted last summer, but only because the original developer (no longer in biz) had originally been allowed by (no-longer-in-office) town fathers to cut corners with design and materials.

scraper69
04-14-2006, 08:11 AM
HOLY Pitch. ($hity jobs)

Those are the guys type that should just stick with Lawn Maint, and stay away from any hardscape.
(How is that flower pot staying on the patio? He must have glued it down)

Adam@SUNYCobleskill
04-14-2006, 12:35 PM
pic 13, the grill... i honestly laughed for about 5 minutes when i saw that! haha some people seriously amaze me. How could you honestly walk away from that job leaving it looking like that.

neversatisfiedj
04-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Why would you choose grey - when everything else @ is terra-cotta color ?

mbella
04-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Those projects look like 99% of the DIY projects I've seen.

cgland
04-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Dirty - You are exactly right! There was no course buried and the soil from behind was eroding under the wall.

mbella
04-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Sometimes, pictures are deceiving. We definitely buried a course in that wall, dammit!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cgland
04-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Well what's your excuse on the paver job with no shoulder? pixelation!

Chris

mbella
04-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Well what's your excuse on the paver job with no shoulder? pixelation!

Chris

All of our paver jobs have shoulders! They're all pixeled to within a 1000th of an inch too, smartazz.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cgland
04-14-2006, 10:10 PM
I stand corrected! The only guy I know who uses a micrometer to set his bases!

Chris

Drafto
04-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I stand corrected! The only guy I know who uses a micrometer to set his bases!

Chris

Seriously Chris, once again you hi-jack a thread with some of your job pics. Will it ever end? For Pete's sake, you even hi-jacked the back of my trailer with one!

Dan

Grn Mtn
04-15-2006, 09:53 AM
I like the one with the curving wall into the steps and they glued a 1" face piece to the back of the wall block.

Please say these were DIY's, because I myself would never allow a contractor to leave a job like those. Damn ugly they are. Makes me feel good about the work I do. I certainly consider myself to be a rookie when it comes to hardscaping, but geeze, I'll take the time to figure out how to do it right.

cgland
04-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Dan - Shouldn't you be underestimating a job somewhere?

Chris

Drafto
04-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Dan - Shouldn't you be underestimating a job somewhere?

Chris

That really hurt :cry: . When my business goes under b/c I tried to do it all right and I fail miserably you will feel really bad for taking that shot at me. I will be sure and tell my kids (without any candy or food for Easter b/c of my estimating) that you said Happy Easter.

Dan

P.S. Happy Easter to you too.

kris
04-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I agree with the poster ..I think it was Mike, that said they look like DIY'ers.

cgland
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
That really hurt :cry: . When my business goes under b/c I tried to do it all right and I fail miserably you will feel really bad for taking that shot at me. I will be sure and tell my kids (without any candy or food for Easter b/c of my estimating) that you said Happy Easter.

Dan

P.S. Happy Easter to you too.

ROFLMAO!:laugh:

sheshovel
04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Lawnkid..that was a very good critique of those jobs gone bad..very good.

Pavers Plus
04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Well......I know for a fact that the project with the bad walkway and the patio with the red/charcoal walls were installed by a contractor in Middletown, MD (Glenbrook subdivision) for over $60,000. One of my preferred contractors took those pictures of the job while working in the neighborhood.....

Attached are pictures of a job installed by a homeowner that purchased material from us last year...... Not all "DIY" jobs are horrible..

kris
04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Where is the water draining in the patio with the BQ on it?

DVS Hardscaper
04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
A.M -

Stop showing people pictures of our work!!

Or I'm gonna post nudie pics of your wife!! :hammerhead:

mbella
04-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Well......I know for a fact that the project with the bad walkway and the patio with the red/charcoal walls were installed by a contractor in Middletown, MD (Glenbrook subdivision) for over $60,000. One of my preferred contractors took those pictures of the job while working in the neighborhood.....

Attached are pictures of a job installed by a homeowner that purchased material from us last year...... Not all "DIY" jobs are horrible..

Give it time. The biggest problem I see homeowner's having is with determining suitable soil and compaction. Problems associated with those issues might not surface for a couple of years.

mrusk
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Just got a call from a guy who wants 1400sf of ep henry devon stone overlayed on his 10 year old concrete pool pad. Then an additional 500sq patio.

I didn't make an appointment with him yet. It seems like a guy whos trying to save money and looking for the cheapest price.

Lets say this guys slab is in good shape (which i doubt), what would be the best way to install this engineered blue stone. I'd screed half and inch of concrete sand, and then mortor in the pool coping.

Would you take this job?

Matt

mrusk
06-19-2006, 07:48 PM
AHHH ment to start new thread..