PDA

View Full Version : Who knows magnolias

wherebluegrassgrows
04-13-2006, 10:24 PM
A client would like a dwarf magnolia planted in an area that holds water after a good rain. Do any of you know if magnolias are tolerant of this kind of moisture? The lady said she has tried dogwoods but they always die. Any other suggestions.
Thanks,
Josh

Coffeecraver
04-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Magnolia soulangiana--Saucer Magnolia

Saucer magnolia grows 25 feet tall and spreads 30 feet. The tree has a moderate growth rate and grows best in a sunny location in rich, moist, porous soil. Saucer magnolia dislikes dry or alkaline soil.

Kate Butler
04-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Magnolia stellata - star magnolia - maxes out at 10' to 20'. The requirements for both stellata and soulangeana are the same. They like evenly moist soil. I'm not sure how tolerant either would be to standing water.

wherebluegrassgrows
04-13-2006, 11:16 PM
The client said dwarf I don't think I can get away with twenty five feet even if it takes 20 years to get there. Have you ever heard of a dwarf magnolia? I have know Idea what she's talking about. I just don't know much about tree's. Thanks for the input coffeecraver.

Kate Butler
04-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Hey, it's all semantics. If a standard (regular size) mature magnolia is 70', then anything under 20' should be considered a dwarf. The stellata takes many years to get to 10' and many more to get to 20'. In some areas it won't ever get to 20'.

Explain the concept of size/scale to your client and get a specific maximum height from her and then work from there.

treedoc1
04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Sweetbay magnolia will tolerate the moist site best and will remain small. The multistem habit lends itself to selective pruning occasionally to maintain a given size.

http://hcs.osu.edu/pocketgardener/source/description/ma_niana.html