PDA

View Full Version : Major Project-At least for me...

GodsMan
04-14-2006, 12:17 AM
:dizzy: I have a client that wants to fill in an existing pool, remove an attached deck and replace with a p/t deck. They also want to remove a floating dock and replace with 16x16 pilon anchored deck. I am in the process of organizing the whole project, doing what I can and contacting subs for that which I cannot perform. My question is regarding how to negotiate with subs and the client. This is the largest project I have attempted and want to deal professionally with the contractors as well as the client. How would you approach this?

Thank you for your expertise!:usflag:

GodsMan
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Anybody out there? Any input would be highly welcome. Thanks

olderthandirt
04-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Anybody out there? Any input would be highly welcome. Thanks

You should already have been in contact with subs or "networking" with other companies that you may need there services and have a plan already worked out. If your acting as the general contractor all complaints fall on you and you are responsable for paying the subs.

Mr. Vern
04-16-2006, 02:08 AM
The very first thing you need is a plan. If the client does not have one you need to get some money from them to develop one. Once you have the plan, you can shop it with subcontractors. Send them the plans and let them know what you are looking for them to bid. After you receive the bids you should look them over and see which ones seem right. Conctact these subs and sit down and let them explain what they are planning to do on the job (assuming it is not just a no-brainer of a task). Once you are comfortable with your subs then you can put the whole thing together as a bid to your customer. If it is a design build, you had better do your homework before you go messing with pylons and underwater structures. You don't want it to fail 5 years from now when you have a multi-million dollar business that they can take away. If the job is bigger than you can handle right now; find someone who can handle it, get a piece of the action and take lots of notes.

Squizzy246B
04-16-2006, 04:01 AM
I do work for a big landscaper. He supplies plans which are often conceptual and do not work. The devil is in the detail and this means time = money. What you are describing is not huge if you break it down into its sections. Make sure your plan is good and sit down and work them out with your subs. Do not over commit on time frames. Do not forget to put a good project management fee on the subs cost. When it goes wrong the sub will revert to the plans and at the end of the day somebody is responsible. Make sure your subs are not over commited and will abandon you if things take a little longer.

Project time lines and planning are one thing but being able to manage all the bumps along the way is another.

GodsMan
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
You guys are great! As a small operation it is critical to have the input from those who have been in the industry for years and have experience. Although I learn best from my own mistakes I learn alot from those who have been there, done that and got the T-shirt! I will develop the plan. Thanks a bunch!:usflag: