PDA

View Full Version : Design Ideas Anyone? Sheshovel?

dkeisala
04-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a client that just had a new deck installed on a house they are selling. Wants plantings around the deck that will both compliment it and screen the open underside. Attached are pictures of the deck and the opposing flower bed. Would certainly appreciate any thoughts you may have.

sheshovel
04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Gosh..there are so many you could choose from
I suggest you get the book"Trees and Shrubs for the Pasific Northwest"if you can't find it..then PM me your address and I will send it to you.
Cistus..C.Laurifolius-Abelia-Carpenteria- Camellia-Holly- Mexican Orange..take a look at your local nursery for the height you want..I suggest you also add some of the shrubs that are existing in the other beds to whatever you decide..to keep continuity in the plantings.Sorry I coulden't be of more help but there are so many shrub you can grow there I could quote shrub names for an hour here.

dkeisala
04-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. That back bed has barberry, euonymus, escallonia and the so over used azelea. I just got back from the nursery and was thinking about using some different viburnums (I like improved doublefile alot) and maybe some pieris. I also like variegated cotoneaster and I stumbled upon osmanthus which I thought was very cool.

Lawn Lizards
04-14-2006, 09:26 PM
You should plant some variegated groundcover bamboo along that flower bed edge. Check this out:

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Pleioblastus%20shibuyanus%20'Tsuboi'.html

What zone are you in?

Dave

sheshovel
04-15-2006, 02:47 AM
NADA NOOO do not recommend planting Bamboo anywhere..it is an invasive plant.
Viburnums are great but you should put your main screening plants to evergreens so they screen in winter as well as summer

Lawn Lizards
04-15-2006, 08:05 AM
hahaha, another uneducated landscaper! There are two different types of bamboo, running and clumping. The running is invasive, but can be contained by installing a 60mm thick polyethylene barrier around the bed. You can safely plant clumping bamboo anywhere, just like you can SAFELY plant running bamboo if you know what you are doing. Do your research. You have to work for it, if you want some of the most beautiful plants in the world.

YardPro
04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
ditto on the "busted"

we plant clumping babmoo often.. we have a patch that has been on a property for over 15 years and it has only spread in about a 10 foot wide circle...

Lawn Lizards
04-15-2006, 09:31 AM
YardPro, thank you so much for the back up on the bamboo! My company has invested quite a bit of money into bamboo over the last couple months and have already started installing for customers. It is an untapped market where I am, but we plan on starting the bamboo craze here. Anyway, I think we will do mostly clumping because it costs way more to install running with the barrier. Runnings are EXCELLENT container plants and can be kept looking sweet, bonsai style. Look forward to more bamboo talk!

Dave

sheshovel
04-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I doubt bamboo would live in his area.But your right I don't know antthing about it cuz I don't like it and don't plant it.It is a tropical plant that I think looks funny unless you are going for a tropical landscape.
But hey to each his own.

dkeisala
04-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I personally don't care for bamboo either. There's lots of it around here and in certain applications it looks fine but I don't think I'd ever recommend it.

I agree about planting the viburnum in front of the evergreens. I'm going to install arborvitae around the deck perimeter with improved doublefile viburnum in the front. I think the light green leaves and white flowers of the vib. will play off the arborvitae nicely. Plus, whoever maintains the arborvitae can either keep it as a low hedge or allow it to grow taller to provide privacy and shade considering the deck has full southern exposure. A few trees would be nice as well but the client doesn't want to spend that much money considering he's just trying to dress up the curb appeal since it's going on the market.