PDA

View Full Version : Diesil Exhaust ?

Motoman69X@aol.com
05-10-2001, 01:22 AM
What is the best way to setup my Diesil Exhaust system on my 1983 Chevy k-20 with the 6.2 Diesil ? I want to straight pipe it back into 2 glass backs, With this work fine or will I will I losse power, or will I gain power ? I have it straight piped into 2 mufferles right now, Any help would be great.

Thanks Brandon

MTCK
05-10-2001, 04:24 AM
I had dual probably, 2.25" pipes out of the manifolds into two stock looking muflers with the tailpipes turned out behind the rear wheels (stock setup). A friend of mine had the same setup on his, but with glass packs instead. Performance was about the same. The only way to get a little more is to go with a bigger pipe, IMO. And use a lower restriction muffler. Anyone tried a flowmaster with a diesel? I'd be curious, I love them on my gas truck now. Hope this helps.

MT

85w/350
05-10-2001, 11:32 AM
I never had a diesel with a flowmaster but i have ridden in a few with straight pipes to a flowmaster. If you like glass packs you will definately like the flows on it. To put it simply one guy with a newer fullsize chevy bogged his truck down and while he was gunning it to get it out people inside the house about a 1/10mile away thought a helicopter was landing outside. :eek: It sounds aggressive!

MTCK
05-10-2001, 01:43 PM
Perfect! Do you know if it was a 6.2 or a 6.5 that the guy had?

85w/350
05-10-2001, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a 6.5....

TLS
05-10-2001, 06:44 PM
The term "straight piped" is used to describe an exhaust system without muffler(s). So technically you cant straight pipe a truck and use 2 glass packs, thats just a standard exhaust system. I personally like the sound of "turbo" mufflers over glass packs.

If its a N/A 6.2, they can get pretty loud and droaning at cruise rpm's. A turboed diesel isnt quite as harsh when straight piped and really helps power.

http://www.thedieselpage.com

Motoman69X@aol.com
05-11-2001, 11:00 AM
Got it all done ysterday, I went straight back into 2 27inch glass backs and out the back with 3 1/2 inch cans, needless to say its loud ! Makes my freinds 350 sound nudered , Thanks Guys

Keep On Truckin !

John DiMartino
05-11-2001, 10:28 PM
My uncle had dual glass packs on his 6.2 1 ton-it rapped to much,and became annoying after plowing for hours,didnt seem to add any power either-did keep you from falling asleep plowing though.

85w/350
05-13-2001, 03:09 PM
motoman69:
Thats the way to do it...the longer the glass pack usually the quieter at idle and better for higher speeds because they aren't as loud as say a 12inch glass pack...bet it sounds nice...hope you enjoy! My summer project is to convert my 1 in two out 2 chamber flowmaster to true dual exhaust with two three chambers and 4 1/2inch echo tips....I've had loud long enough I am going more for mellow and tone quality now. All of this is on a carb'ed 350 with no cats