PDA

View Full Version : Did you want to be a landscaper?

liquidforcedude7
04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Well at school were finally being pressured into classes that will best set us up for occupations later in life, so needless to say they want to know what we plan on doing after school/college. Ive talked to several people my age on here and there pretty set on being landscapers. So far the only things ive really decided on is that if I have to sit around at a desk all day im going to go insane, but Id still like to make a very good living (aka be rich). I know that these 2 decisions contradict each other in most cases, my top 2 choices would be either contractor and build houses/additions/renovations, or a landscaper. Did yall plan on being a landscaper when you were planning for your career? :usflag:

JB1
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
naw, started out wanting to be a strip bar owner so end up doing this.

Badgerz
04-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Way back when, when I was asked this question in school my response was that i wanted to be a small business owner. However, I did not follow my own desires for some reason. I've worked in factories for the last 13 years starting out as a walk in general laborer all the way up to my current position as a Project Manager for an ASME code steel fabrication plant. I still don't feel like I've accomplished much other than proving to every superior that I ever had that I can work circles around my co workers. Where has this gotten me? That's right, I sit at a desk for the majority of my days wishing I was somewhere else. Believe me, once you've gone down this road the premise of owning a business that's all yours gets to be very interesting. I've been learning what I can for the last few years and next spring I'll be putting all of the knowledge gained to work. I take this quite seriously to be honest and with a little luck and a lot of hard work I may just follow my small business desires after all.

Lawn Masters
04-14-2006, 11:48 PM
I've decided I'm not going to be doing lawncare, but instead I'll be doing repair work, which I enjoy much more than anything else in my life, aside from running a chipper.

it took me all of 4 years dabbling in tree work, lawn care, and many years of tinkering in motors to learn this.

Mr. Vern
04-15-2006, 01:54 AM
I never intended to become a landcaper. I am actually an electrical engineer by education. I was moving up the corporate ladder, always dreaming of following my entrepreneurial desires but held captive by golden handcuffs. Well, I started working with a faith based drug rehab program and noticed that one of the main drivers of folks who had graduated the year long program falling back into their old lives was a lack of a good job to go to. Those who did not have a good job in a safe environment seemed to go back to their old friends and environments and were soon using again. I decided I needed to start a business that I could offer good jobs to these guys. I started with lawn mowing (thinking that I could take unskilled laborers and train them reasonably quickly), but quickly realized I could provide better and more stabile jobs doing installs. I kept my job in corporate america as long as I could, but eventually had to hang it up and dedicate my full time efforts to the business. I now have multiple crews and facets of my contracting business as well as a large materials yard where we manufacture many of the materials that our competitors sell to their customers. Even if we don't make the sale we get a piece of the action now. We have large scale tub grinders for grinding wood waste and screening plants for screening soils and wood products. We just purchased a colorant machine to color our mulches and are in the process of opeining a very large scale composting facility that will be able to service markets all over the country.

I said all of this not to boast, but in hopes of stimulating you to dream really big. My father always used to tell me "son; you need to shoot for the moon; that way if you miss at least you will hit the side of the barn. If all you shoot for is the side of the barn; if you miss you might blow off your toes". It was advice that shaped my future. I remember it as if it was yesterday and I apply it in all that I do. To this day he can not understand how I pull off the things that I do; he has no idea how much that simple saying has meant to me. I hope that it inspires some of you as well. Dream big and dream often!

sheshovel
04-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Naa I wanted to be a nurse

jameson
04-15-2006, 02:12 AM
naw, started out wanting to be a strip bar owner so end up doing this.

Yep. Why just today I was thinking to myself, who needs a lap-dance when you get to plant a 120 Leyland cypresses in a row to form a hedge. Good times. Yeah, good times ;) .

James

Desertdweller
04-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Also started out going to school for engineering. Started doing sprinkler work as a summer job. Didn't like school but loved working outdoors so quit school (mom and dad were so proud) and started working for a guy full time. 30 years later still digging trenches but no regrets. Have built the business up, bought out a few others, put both kids through college and have a nice house. If its what you want you can make money, really good money, at anything. You'll have to work hard and be a good businessman as well as landscaper but its all yours. Good Luck.