PDA

View Full Version : Shovels

Hank Reardon
04-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Where are you guys buying shovels? What brands?

topsites
04-15-2006, 01:21 AM
sears, store brand, lifetime warranty.
I like the handles, mostly splinter free because they're fiberglass but they can crack (watch out if it does) but it takes a lot and once it's cracked you can't use it anyhow. I bought 2 each (2 flat, 2 round), have brought one back for replacement, no other problems.

Don't use them much, but had them going on 5 years now, I dare say you'd get at least a year's daily use out of one but if I'm wrong, please let us know. You can get it replaced for free anytime but ... Once is enough for me, if it's no good why do I want another? In my case, I find their shovels are dandy. Nice yellow handle, hard to miss.

Used them for topsoil (uhm maybe 10 cu.yds.), rocks (about 10 cu.yds. of that) and a fair amount of minor digging as well.
Never took them mining for gold, but other than that.

PurpHaze
04-15-2006, 11:23 AM
We order these shovels six at a time through one of our suppliers. Heavy sucker and breaks through just about anything.

Squizzy246B
04-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Steam Shovel???:rolleyes:

Okay...do they still make the "Rigid" brand. I tell the boys they can have whatever they want so long as they replace them when they lose it....so we use the cheap fibreglass handled "Contractors" shovel ($17). We find the older the shovel the better it holds up (whilst the same can't be said for the owner). We often find a shovel with a broken handle and fit a new "Mallet" handle of Aussie hardwood and they are often better than new. Love those old rigid shovels though, they were the best....if they were at least 20 years old.

Popular brand down here is "Cyclone" but they are reasonably expensive($46).

Wet_Boots
04-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Ridge Tools sells their stuff with the "Ridgid" brand name. Union Tools is/was another shovel supplier of note.

Critical Care
04-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Hayes, the high schools where I worked at back on the Cally Coast used to have their automotive shop students weld together tools for the maintenance crews. It was a win win situation. The students got training and projects that they were graded on, and the maintenance department almost always got more hefty and nicer tools than readily available… and they were free. Just couldn’t beat it with a stick, so we took good care of these kids.

PurpHaze
04-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Hayes, the high schools where I worked at back on the Cally Coast used to have their automotive shop students weld together tools for the maintenance crews. It was a win win situation. The students got training and projects that they were graded on, and the maintenance department almost always got more hefty and nicer tools than readily available… and they were free. Just couldn’t beat it with a stick, so we took good care of these kids.

They're more interested in other things these days. :laugh: We have our mechanic fabricate some of the things we may need.

Keith
04-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I was just thinking about this very subject yesterday. I remembered having a string of problems back about 7 years ago with shovels. I started a thread about it on here back around the turn of the century :laugh:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=2487

Anyway, shovels typically got lost before they ever broke for me. But all of a sudden I had purchased several Ames fiberglass-handled ones, that looked almost exactly like what I had been using for several years, and they broke almost immediately. I bought a high-dollar Hisco from the supply house and mangled the blade on that within a day. All had True-Temper blades, but most others did too.

I guess I got a string of defective stuff, because pretty soon all was back to normal. I have not broken one since those three and that happened, all within a few week period. I still have some Craftsmans from about that period. And few from Ace, at least I think that is what the red handled ones are.

BSME
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I use structron trenching shovels... I've never broken one yet... I can put one under a boulder and jump on it...

I do use craftsman rakes though... I bought four of them three years ago and usually exchange about three of them a year... so I guess I got 9 for the price of 4 so far...

Dirty Water
04-15-2006, 10:36 PM
We use Bullhead trenching shovels.

Stronger than anything we have tried, and a wooden handle (which I greatly prefer to fiberglass)

koster_irrigation
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I perfer WOOD handles to fiberglass, our trench cleanouts are fiberglass, wood long handle for drain spades.

i have YET TO FIND A HARD RAKE WORTH a crap!!! <steel rake> the extreme duty rakes weigh too much.....

we use plastic fan rakes for fine trenchwork raking..

Keith
04-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I prefer wooden shovels too, but the sun, heat, humidity and rain are rough on them here.

BSME mentioned Structron. I think thats what our trenching shovels are now that I think about it. The labels are long gone. I think Structron was also the one that put out the shovel with the funny fangs on it :laugh: I bought one, what a waste.

Squizzy246B
04-16-2006, 04:04 AM
I prefer wooden shovels too, but the sun, heat, humidity and rain are rough on them here.

Tung oil twice a year...give them a light sanding first.

Keith
04-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Don't you get splinters? Oh, you said tung oil :p

Seriously though, thanks for the tip. It never really crossed my mind to use anything on them.

Squizzy246B
04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Don't you get splinters? Oh, you said tung oil :p

Seriously though, thanks for the tip. It never really crossed my mind to use anything on them.

Eucalyptus hardwoods don't taste so good...Hickory is yummy:rolleyes:

Off track but I always tell my guys if they bust something to make sure they take it out of the truck or trailer and put it on the bench in the shed so I can see it, and know it needs fixing.......I gets to the shed this afternoon and there they are..two busted shovels, two busted axes and one sledge hammer with no handle. Do they think I'm made of handles???...anyway, thats what I get for buying cheap plastic handled stuff.

PurpHaze
04-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Eucalyptus hardwoods don't taste so good

I thought Aussies referred to them as "gum" trees or something like that. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I thought Aussies referred to them as "gum" trees or something like that. :laugh:

Hayes, I was trying to edumakate you lot:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/gunnado/gumtrees.html

PurpHaze
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Hayes, I was trying to edumakate you lot:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/gunnado/gumtrees.html

Cool little tune. Guess "eucalyptus" wouldn't fit in as nicely. :laugh:

Squizzy246B
04-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Good timing...yesterday I ripped the plastic handles out of two of our crappy contractors shovels, got the grinder and cut 3/4" off the cutting edge and re-ground and sharpened the edge. Then I fitted two new mallet handles which I oiled with Linseed oil. Everybody wanted to know where I got the new shovels from this morning. Only one problem, the top class hardwood handles I fitted cost more than the original shovels did:dizzy: .

Hank Reardon
04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
We use Bullhead trenching shovels.

Stronger than anything we have tried, and a wooden handle (which I greatly prefer to fiberglass)

Where are you getting the Bullhead's, Jon?

-Russ

DarkLotus
04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I have found that ZAC Tools make some bad-assed shovels. Previously I was using Kenyon, but the quality is unmatched with ZAC.