PDA

View Full Version : Software for master plans?

PerfiCut L&L
04-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I was asked to produce a master plan for a landscape job that consists of upgrading a playground, installing a couple small retaining walls, patio, and modifying existing mulch beds. Along with, future additions of a concrete pad for a shed, paver walkway(s), and a few other items.

These plans will be submitted to the local community association, however, we curently do not have any software to produce such plans.

Any suggestions? What do you use, and what pros- cons do you have with what your using?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

AGLA
04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, you don't need software. You could draw this by hand.

You are introducing another hoop to jump through by having to learn a software at the same time that you are drawing this plan. But, that is for you to decide.

You might want to try Intellicad. It is an Autocad clone. Progecad Lite is available for free on the internet (it is intellicad - several companies are part of a consortium that owns rights to produce it). I think you will spend much more time trying to learn to draft on the computer than if you unroll a piece of paper and break out a scale and circle template.

You should get this software and experiment with it for the next time though. There is a steep learning curve.

PerfiCut L&L
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Your probably right, I probably will be better off drawing it by hand. And thats probably what I will end up doing for this job. For future jobs I wanted to try and find some software that I could learn to use in the mean time.

If not, not big deal. I though it might be a little more professional done up on computer.

Ill try the free version you mentioned and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Dreams To Designs
04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Pro Landscape is excellent software in plan mode and a great selling tool in 3D imaging. As with any CAD based software, there is a steep learning curve to master the plan mode. The professionalism of your design will be in the design details and materials selections, not if it was created using a computer. Any software is just a drafting aid. If your drafting skills need improvement, software may be the way to go. If your design skills need improvement, the software will be of no value.

Kirk