PDA

View Full Version : Stump Grinding removal

kemmer
04-15-2006, 11:13 PM
A customer had a stump grinded and they want grass. I told them that i have to dig it out. how deep could this go? its about 10x10 but i dont know how deep it could go? would i need 1 yd of soil to fill it?

Also whats the best way for removing ivy ground cover?

GodsMan
04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Stumps can grow very deep but I would just remove enough to put a good layer of topsoil and then place sod. I worked in Miss after Katrina and those grinders were not the least bit concerned with the mess they left behind.:usflag:

ASBK
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Stumps are usually ground at least 12 inches below grade. Good luck getting all the debris out of the hole. It's like 50/50 dirt and wood and is a b!tch to dig or rake , hope you have a good pitch fork, when its fresh you wouldn't believe how heavy it is.

o-so-n-so
04-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Take a pick and pick the grindings to loosen them up...Once you got most of the grindings out...rake the shake thats around the hole back into the hole...put at least 5-6" of quality top soil back in hole and pack it down as you fill so it won't settle. Leave your self about a 2" below grade finish, loosen top layer of top soil, place sod on top and tamp in to level. I do it this way time and time again. The key is to have enough top soil in the hole so the grass won't brown out when you have a week or so without rain.

For a small stump like in the photo....I usually fill up 5 or 6 7 gal tree containers with top soil. Then you only shovel top soil one time. Once the chips a removed....your practically done.