PDA

View Full Version : spears vs. dura

BSME
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
anyone have any opinions?

I'm only really interested in the insert fittings... I've almost always used spears fittings but another supplier has recently opened up and sell Dura.

they swear by Dura being a superior product but I like Spears more. I don't know why though... it might just be because I'm used to them.

koster_irrigation
04-15-2006, 11:35 PM
doesnt dura make those new pvc fittings that have the barb elbow built in? or is that dawn? those are cool...

Dirty Water
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
We use a mix, but we don't use insert fittings (PVC)

When we do any poly work, all fittings are brass.

BSME
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
you talking about those new manifold fittings that are swivel and have the o rings in them?

Dura makes those

but i was talking about regular insert

doesnt dura make those new pvc fittings that have the barb elbow built in? or is that dawn? those are cool...

Dirty Water
04-15-2006, 11:45 PM
I think Koster is talking about these, from Dawn:

bdb
04-17-2006, 12:37 AM
anyone have any opinions?

I'm only really interested in the insert fittings... I've almost always used spears fittings but another supplier has recently opened up and sell Dura.

they swear by Dura being a superior product but I like Spears more. I don't know why though... it might just be because I'm used to them.

I work at a distributor and to be honest with you it's just a fitting. I personally like Dura...and we sell both...the barbs they have on them I think grip better. But I this is preference.

As far as Irrigation goes I would say #1 is heads,valves controller brands, #2 Customer Service, #3 Stock (what you need,when you need it) #4 Price

You just have to weigh the differences. Is a brand of a fitting that important to you?

BSME
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
thankd bdb....

yea it wasn't anything I was considering when deciding which distributor to go with... I was just wondering if people had a preference.... in the picture attached, the dura fitting is on the right...

i like the fact that the spears fittings is shorter because you need less room to work with... if you look though... the barb length is the same the dura fitting just has more room in the middle

bdb
04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
OK we must have older parts. There are more barbs and they are closer together on the other spears parts. Must mean Dura has something....but shorter would be nice!

Wet_Boots
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Dura has some Sch 40 fittings that will nest into other fittings, in tees and elbows.

Dirty Water
04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Dura has some Sch 40 fittings that will nest into other fittings, in tees and elbows.

We use a lot of them, SCH 40 male adapters nested into a tee for tighter manifolds etc.

Beartooth
04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I just started using dura, and have been using spears for years. So far the dura fittings seem to be made with every bit of quality I have seen in spears. The jury is out in my opinion. Time will tell.

Wet_Boots
04-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Can anyone supply a side-by-side photo of their 3/4 Marlex elbows? Spears has made theirs thinner, which bothers me a bit. Haven't seen what Dura and Lasco are doing with theirs.

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Can anyone supply a side-by-side photo of their 3/4 Marlex elbows? Spears has made theirs thinner, which bothers me a bit. Haven't seen what Dura and Lasco are doing with theirs.

I don't have any side X side pics but we get both Spears and Lasco. I can't tell much of the difference between them except for one freaky thing. The Spears is much easier to thread onto our SCH 80 nipples in the 3/4" size only. The 1/2" and 1" sizes thread on with about the same ease.