PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pro-C / Rainsensor Problem

Summett
04-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm havin' a little problem and can't seem to figure it out. I'll try and give the whole scoop here, so this may be a little long but hoping you experts could give me a little assistance.

Have a Hunter Pro-C controller w/ Wireless Rainsensor Plus. When in the "Run" mode and with the sensor switch in the "Active" setting, I get an "OFF Sensor".

Here's what i've checked so far. Have the Sensor off the gutter and next to the base. The sensor is not wet [at all] and getting good signal. "red sensor" light is NOT on on the base. I can push the plunger and hold it and the "red sensor" light will activate, and then go off when i release.

I've checked the sensor wiring. Seems to be good. Brown & White wires going to two seperate "sen" terminals and 2 red wires going to seperate VAC terminals. I've checked and rechecked the connections, and all seems to be good.

I've powered off and on the sensor thinking it might reset, didn't work. I've reset the Hunter Pro-C completely and still i get the "OFF Sensor" when in the "Active" mode.

The only way i can get irrigation to run is by switcing to "Bypass", but then i'm not getting the benefit of my sensor then, right?

Any help would be appreciated if i'm missing something. What might be the issue? :help:

jimmyburg
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Sound to me like you or someone wired the rain sensor wrong!. I did that myself and had one of the wires in the wrong place

Summett
04-16-2006, 09:47 PM
well, it seemed to work fine last season, so not sure what's up.

I did check the sensor manual and it seems to be wired like the manual suggests (like stated above). There are only 4 wires, so not too much to wire wrong.

I can't figure it out!

bicmudpuppy
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
well, it seemed to work fine last season, so not sure what's up.

I did check the sensor manual and it seems to be wired like the manual suggests (like stated above). There are only 4 wires, so not too much to wire wrong.

I can't figure it out!
I see two obvious possiblilities. Either the sensor is bad (reciever) or the PRO-C sensor circuit is bad. put an ohm meter on the rain sensor. Is the reading zero or near zero resistance unless the sensor is tripped (red light on)? Put the jumper (or a jumper wire) back on the sensor terminals. Do you still get a sensor off message? If the jumper wire doesn't kill the sensor off, then your problem is in the controller. If not, then check to make sure the wireless sensor is closing that circuit when not active.
Good Luck

Summett
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks Bicmudpuppy! I did as you suggested. I took the two wires from the sensor off the sen terminals and put a jumper back in. The "off sensor" went out when the switch was in "active" mode. So it must be the Rainsensor then...right?

I used an ohm meter and tried to get a read touching both the brown and white (sen wires) and i got a + read well above zero without the sensor being tripped. Does that mean my Rainsensor circuit board is bad?

Thanks again for your assistance