PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! What To Do???

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 12:54 AM
When is it time to stop growing for a while? I have been getting a lot of new customers just this week alone I got about 25-30 more. I now have around a 100 + customers and its becoming a headache everybody wants projects done now. I am booked for landscaping until June and mowing is packed, treatments are going to be hard to fit in and I am behind scheduled. Its hard to know who's lawn to skip and still try to keep them happy. (sorry splicer none are around you) All of my customers are very happy with my work and quality but I'm afraid if I keep growing that it won't continue. Some resd customers alone are in the 5 digits dollar wise and I don't won't to turn any of those jobs away! I never advertise other then my shirts and truck signs its all by word of mouth. I started work at 7 am and worked until 9:30 pm tonight, my 1 employee had 57hrs the other had 31hrs this week and I put in around 70hrs. I think I need to hire 1 or 2 more employees and start a third crew to keep up, I think by the end of the year I could easily have 200 customers which sounds scary but fun to me. Every day I get home totally worn out I have missed most meals this week and am tired of answering the phone every 10 mins all day from new people (not complaining) I am thinking that I might have already hit the point of not being on a crew anymore and playing strictly business man. I have been training my brother how to run everything on the job and he knows all of my customers also, so I think it may be time to cut his ropes and let him lose.
So the question is keep growing or lose great high paying jobs and declare myself full? I am now also getting calls from HOAs wanting bids from me for next year and this year. I had a 100% renewal rate again this year and have only 1 customer that ever has a complaint and I may get rid of them.

The landscaper
04-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Did you read the post from lewis last night. You may want to take a look at that. It should help out to start.

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Did you read the post from lewis last night. You may want to take a look at that. It should help out to start.

No I didn't I barely have time to come on here I mean look its 1:00 in the morning. I even have a lawn to mow tomorrow on Easter!
I will take a look, thanks!:waving:

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Thats a little different situation because I already have 3 on payroll legally.

Mr. Vern
04-16-2006, 01:14 AM
You need to take the time to read Lewis' post. He hit a home run with that one. If you have any questions after that, I am sure he or some of the others will be glad to assist you.

gqnine44
04-16-2006, 10:26 AM
It would be great if you could have your bro reliably run things in the field. You may also want to raise prices significantly to slow down the new business. You can also send stuff to me :) If it is in our service area anyway.

Good Luck!

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
It would be great if you could have your bro reliably run things in the field. You may also want to raise prices significantly to slow down the new business. You can also send stuff to me :) If it is in our service area anyway.

Good Luck!

I already tried raising my prices and it did not slow down at all, maybe I will raise them even more. I think I will go to a college or carer center to find knowledgeable help that way they go back to school when the season slows down.

firefightergw
04-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Can't find the post from Lewis. Could you put a link to that thread?

rodfather
04-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Can't find the post from Lewis. Could you put a link to that thread?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=142572

Fantasy Lawns
04-16-2006, 03:17 PM
If raising pricing isn't slowing down rapid growth .... that's nice ..... only other thing too do is gain efficiency

Mowing on Sunday is NUTs .... Mowing on Easter ??? .... that Coconuts

sheshovel
04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
It's OK to say no to work.Keep the best paying work and dump the low paying jobs.

DLS1
04-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Can you give us an example of average sq. ft. for a yard and the price per mow. It is hard to believe you can pick up 25 lawns in one week. Your prices still seem low or you just don't have any competition in your area.

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Can you give us an example of average sq. ft. for a yard and the price per mow. It is hard to believe you can pick up 25 lawns in one week. Your prices still seem low or you just don't have any competition in your area.

I am charging $35 per cut for 5,000 sq ft or less lawns.

Gatewayuser
04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
If raising pricing isn't slowing down rapid growth .... that's nice ..... only other thing too do is gain efficiency

Mowing on Sunday is NUTs .... Mowing on Easter ??? .... that Coconuts

I know it sucks mowing on Sunday and even more on Easter and ended up mowing 2 today.

dtelawncare
04-19-2006, 12:26 AM
First of all, Rock on Brother. Please make sure you read what Jim Lewis wrote. It made me really think. I am not even close to that point, but I think he hit the nail on the head. My worker has been with me for a month now and is doing a good job. I get scared when I notice a little spot he forgot to trim, much less send him off with the New truck, trailer, Exmark, ect, ect... You must delegate some of the work to others. Just don't forget where you you came from and how you got there.