PDA

View Full Version : '06 Ford F-250 bad transmission..........

K&L Landscaping
04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Just bought a brand new Ford F-250 Super Duty and the transmission falls out with 800 miles on it! I had just finished for the week (Friday evening) and turned up my road coming home and it sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings in the tranny, I WAS SICK! Service manager says it was just a glitch from the factory and the new tranny should last at least 150,000 miles. And to think, I was worried about the 6.0 power stroke engine living. My father told me I would regret buying a Ford, I just didn't think he would be right so soon.

lawnmaniac883
04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok so now you have learned your lesson, I assume the dodge will be here next week, right? That must be the soonest I have heard a tranny failing. So much for the 'TorqShift POS.

Dirty Water
04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Ford hasn't made a good automatic transmission since the '80s.

Enjoy buying 3 more, plus a turbo or two.

I also think its stupid to expect a transmission to only last 150k. I'm spoiled by the many japanese vehicles i've owned over the years I guess...I'm used to running them to 250k before anything major breaks.

biglawndog
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Things happen. I had a 2002 F250 with 60,000 miles and it never hiccupped once. Humans make em, they ain't perfect. There's people on here that have problems with Chevy,GM and Dodge. There all good trucks but things do go wrong occasionally. You got a good truck,don't worry.

Lawn Masters
04-16-2006, 03:05 PM
I havent liked a Ford tranny since the C6 and AOD models.these new things are too light duty, and weak. the C6 was a tried and true transmission. oh how I miss the good ole days.

K&L Landscaping
04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I forgot to mention that I really wanted a manual transmission but the slaesman convinced me how great these new trannies are when in tow/haul mode. Needless to say, he didn't have much to say when he was giving me a loaner truck.

lawnspecialties
04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Ok so now you have learned your lesson, I assume the dodge will be here next week, right? That must be the soonest I have heard a tranny failing. So much for the 'TorqShift POS.

A Dodge man cracking on a Ford's transmission. What planet are you on? I'm not a "Ford Man" or "Dodge Man" or whatever, but the only reason I didn't buy a Dodge this time (and I love the Cummins) is because they have got by far the sorriest automatic transmissions in the world. :hammerhead:

lawnmaniac883
04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
A Dodge man cracking on a Ford's transmission. What planet are you on? I'm not a "Ford Man" or "Dodge Man" or whatever, but the only reason I didn't buy a Dodge this time (and I love the Cummins) is because they have got by far the sorriest automatic transmissions in the world. :hammerhead:

Obviously you didnt take a test drive in a new model. The 48RE is a great transmission especially compared to their old tranny, the 47rh now that was a pos. The 48 shifts very firmly for such a "sorry" transmission as you call it.

I encourage you to test drive one and post back the results.

lawnspecialties
04-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Obviously you didnt take a test drive in a new model. The 48RE is a great transmission especially compared to their old tranny, the 47rh now that was a pos. The 48 shifts very firmly for such a "sorry" transmission as you call it.

I encourage you to test drive one and post back the results.

You may very well be right. I hope so. I'll have to see a pattern there first. Let's face it, when we use a vehicle to make a living, it takes a while for a bad reputation to get fixed. Thanks for the heads up, though.

oldrustycars
04-16-2006, 07:28 PM
i'll second the opinion on bad Dodge transmissions. ive owned 30 vehicles over the years, beat the crap out of some, babied others. the ONLY failures ive had were Chrysler products, and they were the ones i babied, as they were my main family vehicles that my wife was driving the kids around in. my 98 plymouth minivan failed at 60,000 perfectly maintained by the book at the dealer miles. fluid changed at 12,000 miles, flushed at 30,000...by the book, with the correct Mopar brand fluid. $2800. never towed, never abused, the dealer felt there was nothing wrong with a trans failure at 60 thou. plus several 727 torqueflites. ive beat the piss out of crappy GM work trucks and never changed the fluid, no problems.
and taking a test drive in a new truck sure wont convince me chrysler can make a good trans now. what, just because it didnt fail on the test drive?

start2finish
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
break them in hard and they will last.

dcondon
04-16-2006, 10:47 PM
FORD all the way!!!!! Dodge Junk IMO:cool2:

Ramairfreak98ss
04-18-2006, 09:35 PM

aint that the truth lol, if the cummins came with an allison or something much better, particularly NOT built by chrysler in any way, i would hands down pick one up..... a buddy with a 15k milage 2004.5 cummins dodge got an edge kid set on 3 and he laid down 808 wtq on a dyno lol and 402whp, his trans slipped the first time he floored it in 2nd gear at a track, testing to see how fast the thing actually was, he needs to rebuilt it now.

the ford trans im sure is good, pending it doesnt blow up like this, the allison i hear is the best by far and the dodge trans is the worst by far, but thats the same for any dodge vehicle pratically, ive never heard of a GOOD dodge trans, they all clatter and clickity click when a car/minivan whatever pulls up to a stop light, sounds like the plastic gears just wound back up ready for the next takeoff lol.

tcls83
04-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Fact is you're all wrong. Today's trucks are neck and neck in reliability.

All trucks break. Not just one brand in particular.

Lawn Masters
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Fact is you're all wrong. Today's trucks are neck and neck in reliability.

All trucks break. Not just one brand in particular.
I think recently I heard Dodge got the tranny issues worked out, though any transmission will slip if you put it together with a motor that has more power than the tranny was designed for. it happens when you exceed the design parameters.

Steveb
04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Just bought a brand new Ford F-250 Super Duty and the transmission falls out with 800 miles on it! I had just finished for the week (Friday evening) and turned up my road coming home and it sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings in the tranny, I WAS SICK! Service manager says it was just a glitch from the factory and the new tranny should last at least 150,000 miles. And to think, I was worried about the 6.0 power stroke engine living. My father told me I would regret buying a Ford, I just didn't think he would be right so soon.

Hey if you have any more problems call this phone # it is the dealer quality rep at the plant where I work.

Ford Kentucky Truck Plant

1 (502) 429-2408

The mans name is Joe Spalding and his job is to help take care of people that are having problems with there vehicles. He is not a company man, he is a regular person that goes to work everyday just like me, his job just happens to be a job where maybe he can do the customer some good. Trust me, he knows that his job and mine and many others are dependent on your satisfaction.

Mowingman
04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Ford has had some type of problem with their auto. trans. in F250, and F350 Powerstroke trucks since at least 1996. I have bought 10, 1996 - 1999, used, Ford Powerstroke pickups for my business. All, came from the same large, company fleet. All have had the best care and maintenance money can buy. All came with complete service records. Probably 90% of the miles are highway miles. All had trans. failures before they reached 130,000 miles. After receiving new, or rebuilt transmissions, not one truck had another transmission failure. All the trucks had between 225,000, and 255,000 miles on them when I bought them, and not one truck has suffered a trans. failure yet. Some now have nearly 300,000 miles on them.
Why does the new trans. fail before 130,000, and the replacement trans. go at least 170,000 without failure? Something is wrong with the original, new, trans. they put in those trucks.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-22-2006, 01:56 AM
i know this is OFF topic from trucks, but i know that in the later model GM "cars" like the grand prix, buick regal etc... the Heavy duty transmission on the 3.8L v6 supercharged cars is a good trans, i raced mine a lot before it showed signs of excessive wear.. but i know 100% fact that from the factory, the transmission shifts TOO slow. They do this for one reason, shift softness for "old farts". Just as its not great for BANG shifts like clutch popping, its not good to "glide" into each gear soft either. Possibly the trucks transmissions being rebuilt are setup to HANDLE extra power with better clutch packs and shift solenoids etc. On the othe hand, i know my 91 my father bought new in 91, he puleld EVERYTHING with it, and finally after 145k it started having some shifting/hiccuping problems. Finally at 154k, it was redone, although its still working good, it isnt nearly as NICE of a trans as the original was, it shifts up kinda hard and you damn near have to stand on the gas pedal now sometimes to get it to downshift, it also "bucks" while in over drive at too low of rpm, again, trans isnt smart now to go down into 3rd, it will run 1100rpms on a 5.0L v8 and think its got the power in overdrive lol.

Brianslawn
04-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Hey if you have any more problems call this phone # it is the dealer quality rep at the plant where I work.

Ford Kentucky Truck Plant

1 (502) 429-2408

The mans name is Joe Spalding and his job is to help take care of people that are having problems with there vehicles. He is not a company man, he is a regular person that goes to work everyday just like me, his job just happens to be a job where maybe he can do the customer some good. Trust me, he knows that his job and mine and many others are dependent on your satisfaction.

you guys done a good job on my 06 f550 xl crew last august. 6.0, 6 speed, 4x4, 200" WB.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-22-2006, 03:14 AM
My wifes highly rated Honda Odyssey is going in the shop Monday for its 4th tranny and now has 90k miles on it. Honda did extend the warranty on this model since they had such a high failure rate but still have not solved the problem just keep putting the same pos tranny back in. My point is I dont care what you own it can fail. I thought dodge had bad trannies after owning several but the Honda has beat it hands down. I noticed that the last 2 that failed was within 2000 miles after the dealer serviced the tranny for what its worth.

Steveb
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
you guys done a good job on my 06 f550 xl crew last august. 6.0, 6 speed, 4x4, 200" WB.

Thanks, its good to hear something positive every once in a while, seems like all we hear from managment is doom and gloom, and the sad thing is that most of the trouble, they create themselves. (A bunch of fresh young college know it alls that don't know anything)

Imulchmore
04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a 1999 f-350 first year of the present body style. It is quikly approaching 100,000 mile and I have not had 1 bit of trouble with the motor or the trans. Now I have put about 4 set of front and back rotors on it though. I use the truck every day it has a E-Z Dumper on it and we use it to deliver mulch and stone.

J&R Landscaping
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
All models have there flaws. Its like the stock market. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose! $hit happens. At least its under warranty!

K&L Landscaping
04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
UPDATE: Truck is in the shop again!!! Put it in 3rd gear and it will not hardly take off. Feels like you have the parking brake pushed down to the floor. It might be time for Ford to give me a new truck, afterall, that's what I bought right? The truck now has a little over 1,400 miles on it and has been in the shop twice now. I'm a pretty long suffering guy but my patience is running thin.

lawnmaniac883
04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
K&L, lemon law that puppy and get a new one man! Tranny problems are only the beginning. Every manufacturer has their lemons but its up to YOU to get them to pony up.

Brianslawn
04-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks, its good to hear something positive every once in a while, seems like all we hear from managment is doom and gloom, and the sad thing is that most of the trouble, they create themselves. (A bunch of fresh young college know it alls that don't know anything)

here it is now. when you get enough posts, pm me and tell me more about your job. thanks.

a guy i know here in town just got a new, yellow F650 with traditional pick up bed. that might be my next truck... :waving:

TXNSLighting
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
so... whatever happened? im about to buy an 06 ford dually its lookin like. I heard something happened in the production plant with the torqshifts in the first few hundred trucks for early 06. was corrected and have been doing great since.

supercuts
11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
figures, i was supposed to go look at an 06' 6.0L auto truck tonight but the POS little auto dealer had to go hunting instead! supposed to go tomarrow in the rain now. ill have to look at the production date. it has 47k on it.

my 00 f350 has 142k, original everything, my 00 f550 has a new tranny at 56k

TXNSLighting
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
you'll be fine. they are great trucks. got done talkin with my friends up at the ford dealer and they finally said its ok to get a 05-07 6.0 powerstroke.

GravelyGuy
11-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Why does you sig say that Ford is not standing behind it? Didn't you get a new auto trans?

Also, how were you still able to get an 06 brand new? Won't the 09 models be out in a few months?

Sydenstricker Landscaping
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Why does you sig say that Ford is not standing behind it? Didn't you get a new auto trans?

Also, how were you still able to get an 06 brand new? Won't the 09 models be out in a few months?

Look at the original post date, it is from 2006.

lawnman456
11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
the ford tranny problem is in the computer. my neighbor told me that a ford rep was in town and he asked about the problem. the rep told him that it was off record and took the ecu out and dropped and he never had a problem after that

GravelyGuy
11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Look at the original post date, it is from 2006.

Good Call.

TXNSLighting
11-05-2007, 09:56 PM
yeh i found this earlier when i was bored, and i was trying to see what happened with this guy, since im gettin a newer one in a few days.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
11-05-2007, 10:40 PM
i don't understand all these transmission problems. it may be that GM has not had that many problems, but knock on wood, i have never had a tranny problem and don't hear that much from other people about them. There seems to be a lot of people in this tread who have/had fords with tranny problems. No offense, but i think i would jump the fence and crawl into a gm for a little while and see if it does not serve you better.

DK lawn care
11-05-2007, 11:45 PM
gravelyguy, the 09 superdutys are coming soon, the 08's just came out.

Texanlandscape, if ur still buying that dually, go over to www.fordtrucks.com/forums. and go to the superduty section. Ull find so much help. I dont know if u know about this site, but its a forum like this with 400,000 members. I read their everday and it seems that no one is having problems with the 05 to 08 trannies. My guess is that the OP got a lemon. Every brand has lemons, no truck company is perfect.

DK lawn care
11-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Correct my post to gravely guy. I meant to say that the 09's arent coming out, the 08's just came out**** my bad

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Correct my post to gravely guy. I meant to say that the 09's arent coming out, the 08's just came out**** my bad

actually the 08's have been out since febuary...

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
gravelyguy, the 09 superdutys are coming soon, the 08's just came out.

Texanlandscape, if ur still buying that dually, go over to www.fordtrucks.com/forums. and go to the superduty section. Ull find so much help. I dont know if u know about this site, but its a forum like this with 400,000 members. I read their everday and it seems that no one is having problems with the 05 to 08 trannies. My guess is that the OP got a lemon. Every brand has lemons, no truck company is perfect.

yeh ive heard of it, but im more partial to superdutydiesel.com have made allota friends there. and they have great info. yes, the 05-07 engine and trannies are substantially better. thats why im only looking at 06 and 07. wish i would want an 08, cuz i love the new body style, but dont want all that emmsion crap.

DK lawn care
11-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats still not along time compared to how long the 05 front end change over has been out and how long the 99 to 04 model have been out

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
i don't understand all these transmission problems. it may be that GM has not had that many problems, but knock on wood, i have never had a tranny problem and don't hear that much from other people about them. There seems to be a lot of people in this tread who have/had fords with tranny problems. No offense, but i think i would jump the fence and crawl into a gm for a little while and see if it does not serve you better.

you just hear more about it, cuz there are so many more super dutys then duramax and cummins. they fixed the tranny problems 05-07 trucks. and theres been lots of allison trans failures. their all machines. machines fail.

DK lawn care
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I dont blame you. But hey after the warranties are up on the 08's alot of people are taking that DPF off

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
o you know it!! alotta people are already takin it off.

DK lawn care
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
If ur gonna get a 08, thats exatly what id do. Keep if off or buy an after market exhaust. I think their are like 2 or 3 that have exhausts out for the 6.4TT

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
i know, its great. but have you heard one without it? its almost like whats the point, you can barely hear any exhaust! i dont think its worth dealin with the law and ford to take em off.

DK lawn care
11-06-2007, 04:22 PM
no but i am sure that you could take it off and put a after market one on and it will sound like a real diesel

TXNSLighting
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
no but i am sure that you could take it off and put a after market one on and it will sound like a real diesel

go to you tube, theres a couple on there with the stright pipe.