PDA

View Full Version : What is your choice when dripping?

Beartooth
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
How many of you use drip irrigation? What products do you like or dislike? Finally, on a new installation, do any of you use a per plant price for bidding?

jcom
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
We use a lot of drip systems. Prefer the 1800 retro for the pressure reg and the screen. We use the LFV low flow RBird valve to start it all. Use the Rbird emitters as needed and our customers are tripping all over themselves with satisfaction. Needless to say it adds up to a crapload of referrals.

John:usflag:

Mr. Vern
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I avoid installing drip whenever possible. The problems I have had with them are clogging if the water is really hard, insects that crawl in them and die, and all of the lines are in the way when you want to turn the mulch over the next year. One of the big drawbacks in my opinion is that if one fails most often the homeowner does not notice until the plant is dead or near dead. They do have their strengths though, they reduce the amount of water used, and can help to reduce the amount of weeds. I have just found that over the course of a few years they become a major maintenance nightmare. Oh yeah, sometimes the plastic lines will get hard over time and pop off sending water spraying everywhere. Like I said, I will try to avoid installing them if practical, but if not I run the Rainbird equipment that was mentioned above. I'm sure the environment you live in plays a big factor as well.

Oh yeah, when I do install them it's $650 minimum for the line and $5.00 per plant. The valve and main line can get more pricy if there are circumstances that dictate such as multiple locations for tie-ins or if the run is very long or requires larger than 1" valves, etc... I never use flat unit pricing, all of my bids are calc'd based on real world conditions, then I add the desired profit margin and PITA adjustments. A PITA adjustment is a surcharge if I believe the client is going to waste a lot of my crew's time either chit chatting or being overly anal.

Dirty Water
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
We use lots of drip. We have a custom pressure regulator filter setup made out of couple different brands (I'd have to go look to remember), and we use a rainbird DVF-100 valve.

We use .700 tubing as the main tubing to go to each plant, then we either use a punch in emmiter from Agrifim or 1/4" emitter tubing (built in emitters every 6" or 12" inches that drip .5 gph) and make a ring around the plant for even watering.

We install it before the mulch goes down. or if its already down we rake the mulch back.

sheshovel
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I have installed miles and miles of drip.It is a low water use option here where water use and rationing are a factor.Also overhead sprinklers do not water as
well ,cause more weed problems and water things that do not need water,help compaction of the soil and by getting the leaves wet on roses other shrubs,contribute to fungal and bacterial disease spread.There are always little problems with them..but I feel drip irrigation IS the best way to water a garden.If the system is installed properly.I price my systems by the job because each one is different..but it goes the more plants..the more $$.....