PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait to mow after overseeding??

mrusk
04-16-2006, 10:27 PM
One of my customers wants me to over seed this week. I know it makes more sense to do it in the fall, but he wants it done now. There is a chance for rain on fri, sat, sun, and monday. So i am planning on mowing shorter than normal on wednesday, then going back on thrusday to aerate and overseed. After i overseed how long should i wait to mow? Will 10 days be enough? Part of the lawn is getting slit seeded. The lawn is to big to slit the whole thing.

I just don't want to mow the lawn to soon and hurt the grass, but i don't want it to become a jungle either.

Matt

lawnspecialties
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm guessing this is fescue. If so, I wouldn't mow until the homeowner couldn't stand it.:) Seriously, I'd let it get at least 6" high or more and then cut it no shorter than 4". You'd be surprised how much a ztr can pull up seedlings just from the suction of the blades. Water, water, water.......

jpmako
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Matt,

Like you said this is not the optimal time to overseed, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. I have done about 25 renovations last week (some aerated and overseeded, and some with the slit seeder) I would probably wait about three weeks to cut if you can. Make sure you put down a good starter fertilizer and also instruct the client to at the very least keep the seedbed moist. Depending on the soil conditions, seed type and the watering habits of the client germination should be in approximately 7- 14 days. If you are cutting these lawns I would try to use a 21" or at the most a walk-behind. Stay away from heavy mowers like ZTR's for a month or so.

Hope this helps,

Jason

mrusk
04-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Uh this lawn is 90k sq ft. I am not going to mow it with a 21in. It will not be watered!!!

Should i really talk the customer out of this or what? If you belive i should, what facts should i use to back up my argument?

dcondon
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Uh this lawn is 90k sq ft. I am not going to mow it with a 21in. It will not be watered!!!

Should i really talk the customer out of this or what? If you belive i should, what facts should i use to back up my argument?

You will be wasting your time if you don't wait 2 weeks to mow it. Yes you will have to use a small mower!!! Tell him to wait till fall!!!!:nono:

mike lane lawn care
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
if it doesn't get watered then he has just wasted $500, enough said

dcondon
04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
if it doesn't get watered then he has just wasted $500, enough said

Very true, if he is not going to water it your wasting your time and his money!!

mrusk
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
So if its not going to be watered would it be better to do in the fall?

olderthandirt
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
2 acres with the right seed sliced in and a little rain and you can mow in 3 wks.
I would tell him that it needs to be done ASAP to catch the spring rains and I woulds slice it in. Cost would be more for the customer but the results would be worth it. Here's a close up of what slicing should look like when its done.

jpmako
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=mrusk]Uh this lawn is 90k sq ft. I am not going to mow it with a 21in. QUOTE]

Sorry you did not mention that in your post.
Why is it not going to be watered???
You could set him up with some sprinklers and a timer for some $$$
or have some employees go over after work and water it for some $$$
That is if he can not do it.
Otherwise not a good idea and I will say this Aerating and overseeding a 90K Sq ft Lawn should be a lot more than $500.00. Hopefully someone was kidding:confused:

Jason

olderthandirt
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
heres the same yard after slice seeding that was done last yr. May 10 this pic was first wk. in june

pondfishr
04-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Wow thats a big difference. Great Job!!!

Olderthandirt, What kind of seed did you use after the slicing?

olderthandirt
04-16-2006, 11:55 PM

80% 3 way per. rye 20% KBG

CuttinUP
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
I just slit seeded one yesterday and they haven't cut the lawn in about a week. I thought that they would have cut it the day before but they didn't. So if they waited until the end of the week and mowed it with a 21" mulching mower would this hurt it, and they are watering it daily?

Sorry, not trying to hi jack this thread but I am kinda in the same boat but with some differences.

olderthandirt
04-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I just slit seeded one yesterday and they haven't cut the lawn in about a week. I thought that they would have cut it the day before but they didn't. So if they waited until the end of the week and mowed it with a 21" mulching mower would this hurt it, and they are watering it daily?

Sorry, not trying to hi jack this thread but I am kinda in the same boat but with some differences.

Won't help but if they mow after keeping it wet and the ground is still slightly damp should be OK

Grass Man
04-17-2006, 12:04 AM

.... Yes, I too would be interested in the type of seed you used also :).

CuttinUP
04-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Won't help but if they mow after keeping it wet and the ground is still slightly damp should be OK

Would higher cutting height help any in this situation?

olderthandirt
04-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Would higher cutting height help any in this situation?

Yes.
Less chance of "sucking" the seed loose and less mulched grass clipping covering it. IMO

1MajorTom
04-17-2006, 12:27 AM
why rye?
and just curious, should that slit seeding be done in a cross hatch pattern?

olderthandirt
04-17-2006, 12:32 AM
why rye?
and just curious, should that slit seeding be done in a cross hatch pattern?

Comes in fast and we use a lot of the 3 way blend in this area. It can be done in a cross hatch pattern and in some cases it should be, but using my renovator I get by just running it one way most of the time.

firefightergw
04-17-2006, 02:18 AM
mrusk,

Make sure you add into your seeding price the lost revenue in not mowing for 3 weeks. I don't know how much you charge to mow this 2 acres but at $500 it might be more profitable for you to just keep mowing it.

topsites
04-17-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing this is fescue. If so, I wouldn't mow until the homeowner couldn't stand it.:) Seriously, I'd let it get at least 6" high or more and then cut it no shorter than 4". You'd be surprised how much a ztr can pull up seedlings just from the suction of the blades. Water, water, water.......

Absolutely, if you want to do it right then please wait as long as you can and WATER HEAVY !!!
It is the proper way and how it should be done.

That having been said, I've aerated and seeded a yard in November and due to even poorer planning, I had to come back the next day (no rain or water) to cut the grass and it still turned out awesome in spring of next year. Thou I must admit, I was sweating it pretty bad lol.

Best I can say is you can do whatever and take your chances, I've done it before and so far so good, but you need to let the customer know there exists a risk of failure. If they ask how large the risk, the chances are in favor of success but if it doesn't turn out, that's too bad. Then they can make the choice, or perhaps another tactic works, best of luck.

lawnwizards
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Comes in fast and we use a lot of the 3 way blend in this area. It can be done in a cross hatch pattern and in some cases it should be, but using my renovator I get by just running it one way most of the time.
i love your topsite-ism... takes him 2 pages to answer a yes or no question:laugh: