PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new truck GAS or DEISEL

grasshopper13
04-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Looking to get a new truck, had an '83 1/2 ton Chevy and now I am using my Z71 Tahoe. Looking for 3/4 ton and need some help. I know that deisels are great for high miles, but is it the best choice for a small business owner staying within 25 miles of home on most days? Only pulling 52" z turn and usually no more than 5 yards of mulch. I like the GMC and Chevy, but you see a lot of F250's on the road.. Any oppinions would by great...

climber
04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Did you read about the guy with the 250 and after 800 miles his tanny fell out! Id stay with gmc/chevy and a 2500 duramax will last you forever.

Dan

scott's turf
04-19-2006, 08:19 AM
If you are going to put on less than 20k miles per year and don't plan on towing heavy loads then save your money and buy a gasser.

PerennialSuccess
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Yea that was one time that a tranny blew. Buy a Dmax if you want an Isuzu engine, but they are really all decent trucks. I will always recommend Ford, as will the majority of the people on this site, they do control about 50% of the commercial market (if that says anything).

Bustus
04-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Stick with gas in your situation. If your concerned with cost of gas consider putting in natural gas conversion. I'm not sure how it works down in the States, but we can get grants for that sort of stuff up here in Canada.:canadaflag:

bugspit
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I was planning to a buy Ford until I found out about this, http://www.boycottford.com/ so, my next truck will most likely be a Dodge diesel, 3/4 ton.
Never had much luck with chevys.

:usflag:

Dirty Water
04-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I was planning to a buy Ford until I found out about this, http://www.boycottford.com/ so, my next truck will most likely be a Dodge diesel, 3/4 ton.

Boycotts are such stupid things.

I'm surprised you have a computer since parts of it were manufactured in communist countries!.

:)

Jpocket
04-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Yea Fords are nice trucks, but how many old Fords VS. GM do you see on hte road???

I'd be willing to bet that there are almost as many 20 year old Chevys on the road as 2006 Chevys, GM speaks for it's self, and always did. Ford is just a bunch of hype and good looks.

elmo1537
04-23-2006, 11:53 AM

You know it is stuff like this that makes me think that there are way to many people out there that have way to much time on their hands. Ford makes an incredible truck plain and simple. So what if they want to support gays and lesbians at least they arent supporting terrorist. There are so many more things in my daily life that I should be worrying about. Than who or what the makers of the best work truck I have ever had support. I would like to point out that yes I am straight and will be until the day I die. But come on why isnt everyone allowed to make there own decisions and do what they believe in. Isnt that why your great grandparents came to america for in the first place.:hammerhead: :usflag: :hammerhead: :usflag:

lawnboy dan
04-23-2006, 03:53 PM
if you want a trouble free long lasting truck-get a toyota tundra

Jpocket
04-23-2006, 05:48 PM
if you want a trouble free long lasting truck-get a toyota tundra

The key word is "TRUCK" not rice burner lol, The only foriegn truck I would buy is a Cab-over.

OGM_Mows
04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Lawnboy Dan,

You missed part of the original message, he's looking for a 3/4 ton. The Tundra is a 1/2 ton if you can actually call it that with a straight face.

Grasshopper,

I just picked up an '06 Ford F-350 Diesel Dually. I would definitely go diesel over gas, regardless of what people say about annual mileage. There are several reasons for this. The first is resale, when you sell a diesel truck you get about 99.9% of what you paid for the diesel option back when you go to sell it, provided you take care of it. The second is gas mileage, a V-10 is terrible for gas mileage. With a diesel that is properly broken in, you can get 18-19 on the freeway. Not bad for a 3.5-4 ton truck.

The problem with the duraslapper is that it is an aluminum head on a cast iron block, with such high compression ratios in diesels this can cause you problems in the long run. There is a definite reason that Ford controls the lion's share of the heavy-duty pickup market.

To all those who choose a truck based on what some special interest group has to say, I say get a life. I rely on my trucks to run my business and my truck purchases are based on capabilities, resale, etc. and not on the fact that some people are afraid of homosexuals and need to alienate people by boycotting a particular company.

PJDiesel
04-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Diesel all the way. Mileage is not even comparable, resale is much better, longevity, so on and so on.

Plus, they are just Cooler!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/PJDiesel/TruckDec42005001.jpg

HDFF03
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy a Ford with a 6.0L diesel engine. Ford is having many problems with this engine. The '07s are supposed to have a new 6.4L diesel engine. A safe choice would be an '03 or older with the 7.3L diesel. For more info on Ford diesels visit The Diesel Stop forums on the net.

Dan

Bustus
04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
How about those new GM hybrids?

OGM_Mows
04-23-2006, 09:59 PM
I've got an '06 6.0L with about 5,000 miles on it. I love it. Works great. Most of the kinks have been worked out.

elmo1537
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I have a 6.0 and have never had a problem with it. There were a few recalls in the beginning that I got fixed but it wasnt because I specifically had a problem with them. They have had enough time to get the kinks worked out and you just cant beat them. I would bet that the first couple of years any new engine or vehicle for that matter will have it problems but that is what recalls are for.

tcls83
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, how about just another old Chevy- this time a 1 ton dump (73-87 style) that is in good mechanical shape? If you're not taking it on the interstate much and just hauling a mower around it shouldn't be bad. Plus, if you are mechanically inclined, parts are cheap and easy to replace.

I agree with Jpocket with how much more old Chevys are on the roads compared to old Fords. But then again, I see more 87 and older Chevys on the road than 88, 89, 90 Chevys nowadays, so maybe the older than 87 ones are the good trucks before they started to cheap out on them. And I think today's trucks between Ford, Chevy, Dodge are neck and neck in reliability.

If I was getting a new truck, I'd go with a Dodge.

lawnboy dan
04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
i think the best chevys are the 88-98or so. i love my 93 silverado. 1/2 ton is all you need for towing a lawn trailer

OGM_Mows
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
A 1/2 ton will tow a lawn trailer unless you've got a 24 footer with 3 riders and then you're looking at about 8500 pounds and that's a big load for a half ton.

Also, the 1/2 ton comes up short if you need to plow. It voids your warranty and they're just not built for the abuse.

montana jack
04-26-2006, 10:06 PM
A diesel option would not be the best choice unless you drive 30K miles or more a year or tow heavy, often. I would opt for an F250 with the V10 as it is only a $600 option over the V8 & has much more power and gets about the same MPG. Ford is offering 0 down & 0% interest for 60 months on '06 gassers.