PDA

View Full Version : Couple Rainbird Questions 5004's and Valves

DOCDIGGLER
04-17-2006, 09:05 AM
What radius do you guys use with Rainbird 5004s for square spacing and what distance for triangular??? (35psi and 10gpm, slight wind) also, which valves do you prefer the JTV (jartop) or the normal DVF's???
thanks in advance for your time.
Doc

Flow Control
04-17-2006, 03:45 PM
What radius do you guys use with Rainbird 5004s for square spacing and what distance for triangular??? (35psi and 10gpm, slight wind) also, which valves do you prefer the JTV (jartop) or the normal DVF's???
thanks in advance for your time.
Doc
I would try to keep the rotors no more then 30' (square) if possible with low pressure and wind. I would go with the JTV, why would you need a flow control valve with those specs? Good Luck

Beartooth
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
I agree, 30' maximum spacing for both design situations (sq. or tri.). Personally I prefer the standard DV or DVF valve, the jar tops haven't been in our market long enough for me to put my faith in them yet. Plus it's not often I am inside of a DV valve, they're very reliable.

DOCDIGGLER
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I would try to keep the rotors no more then 30' (square) if possible with low pressure and wind. I would go with the JTV, why would you need a flow control valve with those specs? Good Luck

I meant just DV, I was more concerned about the style than the flow control sorry.

Do you guys go another 20% or so if you are doing triangluar spacing??

bicmudpuppy
04-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I meant just DV, I was more concerned about the style than the flow control sorry.

Triangular? or off set square? :)

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 09:58 PM

In a word... NO! :laugh:

I might go 10%..............

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Triangular? or off set square? :)

Is there really much difference??? I haven't seen anyone lay out a new zone that would be that precise to come up with triangulation anyway. Now... when I lay out a system I use plenty of flags and paint. :)

Flow Control
04-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Is there really much difference??? I haven't seen anyone lay out a new zone that would be that precise to come up with triangulation anyway. Now... when I lay out a system I use plenty of flags and paint. :)

Where you work it sounds like a good job. Do they give you budgets on jobs or the git r done command.

PurpHaze
04-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Where you work it sounds like a good job. Do they give you budgets on jobs or the git r done command.

It's the "git r done" method. Fortunately I don't have to worry about the budget aspect and we use open purchase orders for our parts. When the purchase orders get low they transfer more monies into them. When they tell me to stop buying at the end of the fiscal year then those jobs I have parts for get done and those that I don't get tabled until the new fiscal year with new POs.

DOCDIGGLER
04-19-2006, 08:45 AM

Yes it makes a big difference if you are conscious of money savings and a uniform distribution with proper precipitation rates. I am a golf course superintendent by trade and with the odd shapes we get it is imperative that we use both square and triangular spacing. The relationship of the height of an equilateral triangle to the length of the sides is 0.87 to 1.0. Based on this you can use triangular spacing and extend the heads up to 15% further apart and cover more ground with less heads. I am doing a few side jobs and was wondering how picky you guys were laying out systems, but I think now I have my answer.....

“Is there really much difference??? I haven't seen anyone lay out a new zone that would be that precise to come up with triangulation anyway. Now... when I lay out a system I use plenty of flags and paint. ”

Wet_Boots
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Everything you do has to work in the real world, where the lines aren't straight, and the ground isn't flat, and trees get in the way. Coverage matters more than head count.

PurpHaze
04-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Well said................:)