PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered grease guns?

thepawnshop
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but I am in the market for a battery powered grease gun and I am considering either the Alemite 14.4v or the Lincoln 14.4v. I wish dewalt made an 18V one...I have about 8 of those batteries already!

Any of you have experience with either brand, and if so, what are your thoughts?

ksss
04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a Lincoln. One of the best time saving purchases I have made.

RockSet N' Grade
04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I've got a lincoln too! Buy an extra battery! You'll be so excited you will be greasing all the neighbors equipment just for the fun of it.....

Dirty Water
04-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Do they really grease all that much faster?

I have a regular grease gun, and usually just topping off a zirk takes less than one pump if you do it daily.

LawnScenes
04-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I look at one every time I'm in the Kubota dealer here in town. You guys saying it's definitely worth the 200 buck price tag? Does the grease end up everywhere like the hand pumps I have?

bobcat9957
04-17-2006, 08:48 PM
We have a lincoln that we got when they first came out and have had no problems with (it about 3 years it think). It cuts grease time in half and is much cleaner. A friend of mine had one and tried to run grease through it when it was extremly cold and screwed it all up. Just some advice for the cold weather guys. We keep the gun and grease in the office all winter and have no problem.

RockSet N' Grade
04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Is it that much faster? YES! Is it cleaner and easier? YES? Is it worth the $150-$200? Absolutely!!! It is one of the pieces of magic I could not and will not do without.....especially if you have other guys grease..with a hand pump they said they did, but in reality they won't...with the electric they do.

By the time you hand grind, I mean hand pump, and complete one machine........I am sure I could do 3 in that same amount of time.....

JDSKIDSTEER
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but I am in the market for a battery powered grease gun and I am considering either the Alemite 14.4v or the Lincoln 14.4v. I wish dewalt made an 18V one...I have about 8 of those batteries already!

Any of you have experience with either brand, and if so, what are your thoughts?
My ace skid steer mechanic left ours in the floor when he went to lunch. I ran over it backing loader out of the shop. He was not to happy. It is an excellent tool to have. I even get out there and grease machines before delivering. I guess I better buy another one.:hammerhead:

Itsgottobegreen
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I got a 7.2 volt and a 14.4 volt versions. Worth every penny. With all the machines I got, I need them.

MarcusLndscp
04-17-2006, 09:26 PM
I see the Lincolns in all the mags etc but have never seen another brand out there. I really want to buy one but was waiting to hear all these positive remarks from you all. Does anyone have a link to other brands on the market?

TURF DOCTOR
04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
We have a lincoln this saves us time in the morning.

RockSet N' Grade
04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
best price I found on electric lincoln was at northerntool.com

don't know of any other brand that anyone else is using in the field except for lincoln...

Scag48
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
My dad picked up 2 cheaper ones from Napa today for $100 a piece, they have 18 volt batteries. I told him I thought they sounded "cheap" compared to Lincoln, but he said we'll just try them out and see how things go. I will keep posted as to what brand they are when I'm home this weekend running the new "toy".

Grass Man
04-17-2006, 10:46 PM
.... What about the Alemite 14.4v model :confused:?

TURF DOCTOR
04-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Tracter supply is where we bought our lincoln.

thepawnshop
04-17-2006, 11:52 PM
.... What about the Alemite 14.4v model :confused:?

I was wondering the same thing...costs about the same...

Soupy
04-17-2006, 11:59 PM
What about air guns? are they any good?

Scag48
04-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Air grease guns only work if you've got a compressor close to the machine either at your shop (which our machines NEVER see) or on your truck. We have one at the shop that my grandpa had for years, works good, but you can only get it about 30 feet from the compressor.

I'm planning on leaving an electric gun in the lockbox on the 312 and a manual grease gun in the truck in case of dead batteries, etc.

Drew Gemma
04-18-2006, 05:44 PM
lincoln electric gun is a must have used mine for 2 years now love it

ksss
04-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I had a air grease gun (still do somewhere). It sucked. Granted it was not a high quality one but after running the electric its got kicked to the curb.

Gravel Rat
04-18-2006, 11:22 PM
The air guns are junk we had one at the familly shop it was a POS then at the excavation contractor shop I worked at had a brandnew one never would work right. I got the thing to work for a few mins then it would stop working tried it again got frustrated screamed the "F" word and threw the grease gun accross the shop :laugh:

Nothing will ever beat a good old manual grease gun for out in the field work its simple works every time no batteries to worry about. Also if you got one of those Pins that are hard to get grease into a manual grease gun has more power.

I can see the electric ones good for shop use where you can keep it plugged in and its not falling in the mud and dirt so its kept semi clean. I never tried one I don't think I could spend the 200 plus for a electric grease gun when a manual one works just as good just takes a little longer.

ksss
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I use mine mostly in the shop and keep the manuals for the field. They are worth the money though. Like someone said. emplyees are more likely to grease as they should if greasing isn't such a PINTA.

Gravel Rat
04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Greasing was a job requirement where I worked we had to grease the machine the boss usually made us grease the machines after the day was over. Pretty much if you didn't do some the equipment maintenance you would be gone its that way with 90% of the contractors.

Grease is cheap replacing pins and bushings is not.

Soupy
04-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Ok, the air gun is out. I was thinking of buying one since I grease everything in the shop were the compressor is.

miacharger
04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Running over a 200 dollar greas gun can't be a good feeling! What's wrong with the pneumatic guns? They're a lot cheaper and work extremely well. Also liked the CO2 style grease gun but no one makes those anymore! For portability I rigged up a fire extinguisher with a pneumatic gun for field work. Never even HEARD of a battery powered unit!

CutRight
04-19-2006, 12:31 AM
lincoln, tractor supply, just do it.

tylermckee
04-19-2006, 02:35 AM
I always keep my grease and manual grease gun in the lockbox on the excavator, and i'll grease at the end of the day while im letting the machine idle down. I like to grease at the end instead of the begining because its so easy when everything is nice and hot, its like pumping air. It doesnt take any time at all with the manual if its nice and warm.

wanabe
04-19-2006, 10:04 AM
The air guns are junk we had one at the familly shop it was a POS then at the excavation contractor shop I worked at had a brandnew one never would work right. I got the thing to work for a few mins then it would stop working tried it again got frustrated screamed the "F" word and threw the grease gun accross the shop :laugh:

Nothing will ever beat a good old manual grease gun for out in the field work its simple works every time no batteries to worry about. Also if you got one of those Pins that are hard to get grease into a manual grease gun has more power.

I can see the electric ones good for shop use where you can keep it plugged in and its not falling in the mud and dirt so its kept semi clean. I never tried one I don't think I could spend the 200 plus for a electric grease gun when a manual one works just as good just takes a little longer.

Have you ever used a Lincon battery powered grease gun? How do you claim that a hand operated gun has more power? I have found the lincoln battery gun will grease fittings that would not accept from a hand gun. The battery even has so much pressure that sometimes I have a hard time removing the tip from the zerk.

Gravel Rat
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I have had cheater pipes on grease gun handles trying to get grease into pins that haven't seen grease for a long time. Alot of machines that haven't seen regular greasing only take grease in some of the boom pins if its in the right position.

A electric gun would be good for greasing trucks which I did alot being shop mechanic. When your greasing the rear spring pins and the U joints on the center driveshaft there isn't much room to get your arms to move. I have gotten stuck under the trunnion rod that goes inbettween the two walking beams.

rluscomb
04-20-2006, 11:11 PM
try northerntool.com

Squizzy246B
04-21-2006, 02:27 AM
We have an air powered gun at the shop which sits on a 5 gallon tub of grease. Its a great machine and heaps more power than a hand gun. Has about a 40ft hose but you gots to wind it up at the end.

In the field we have hand powered guns, normally three on the truck, two for the machines and one just for the rockbreaker. I think I'll look into the battery powered ones. I find with battery powered stuff that it all depends on the quality of the battery and they have a habit of letting you down when you most need it.

I have found the ignore button works really well for repetitive crap you don't need to read.

oldrustycars
04-21-2006, 09:52 AM
i work with union operating engineers that get paid for time to grease their machines. if they can do it in less than the alotted time (i think 30 minutes) they can just goof of the rest of the time and get paid for it. most of them use the Lincoln. they say to watch which kit, some dont come with a charger, or extra batteries. they mostly have the kit with 2 batteries, and a 12 volt charger. in the winter, they stick grease tubes in the exhaust of a running pickup, it softens it and the grease flows much better. they dont know of anyone who's had trouble with a lincoln.

tylermckee
04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Hell, i can grease my machine in about 5 minutes with a manual grease gun, i should go union and screw off all day.

Gravel Rat
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
And you wonder how unions get a bad rap for having lazier employees.

qps
04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Hell, i can grease my machine in about 5 minutes with a manual grease gun, i should go union and screw off all day.

At least you got the union attitude:laugh:

Scag48
04-24-2006, 01:32 AM
I thought about going union.

That thought lasted about 30 seconds. Enough said.