PDA

View Full Version : Do you answer your business phone on Sunday? Do you get restults from answering it?

z_clark
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I don't answer the phone on Sundays. The callers are usually new sign ups looking for one time mows that very minute.

Yet....every Monday, I check the voice mail...and return theses messages. 90% of the time I am returning their message with my own message on their machine, and never hear back from them. The other 10% end up being some one who "found some one else", or want it done that very minute.

A mentor of mine does not return calls. He says he keeps long business hours, if they can't call during them it is their own fault. I answer my phone Monday - Saturday 7 to 7, no exceptions. I even include my phone hours on my voice mail if they call after hours.

What are y'all's experiences? Any solutions / ideas / comments?

Badgerz
04-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't be calling businesses on Sunday so I don't think people should expect me to answer my phone on Sunday. It's your own choice but I wouldn't answer.

topsites
04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
There could be something to the mentioned effect about sunday calls, I find this effect mostly on calls coming in real early in the morning (like 5:30 am and bs like that).

As a general rule I don't answer the phone during what I consider 'off' hours, be it that I'm there or not, but I pay attention to the phone number in case it's one of my regulars and I may review our relationship at that time as it can be an indication someone thinks I'm their lawn boy.

jt5019
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
If I'm not busy with something i will answer it but i tell the customer that i wont be out until Monday. Some say never mind some are fine with it. If its a one time cut i tell them i will get there asap but it could be a couple days. I'm not gonna mess up my whole schedule for a 1 time cut unless they happen to be right near where i am.

SWD
04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I run my business like a business - when was the last time you called a business after hours or on closed days to speak with someone?
My hours of operation are posted on my message, and weekend calls/site visits are through appointment only.

TWUllc
04-18-2006, 04:41 PM
No way I'd ever answer my phone on a sunday, unless its one of my top customers who have my cell number. I recieved one call on a sunday once around 7pm. I laughed and deleted the message before it ever started. Some people are just :hammerhead:

HOOLIE
04-18-2006, 06:52 PM
No way I'd ever answer my phone on a sunday, unless its one of my top customers who have my cell number. I recieved one call on a sunday once around 7pm. I laughed and deleted the message before it ever started. Some people are just :hammerhead:

Why would you delete it???? They probably figured no one would answer and were trying to leave a message for you to call back during business hours...

sheshovel
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
You bet I answer calls on Sunday..not a problem,alot of my work is at the clients second home..they may only be up for the weekend.They may work all week and are talking or thinking about their landscape or lack of one on Sunday and decide to call around.
I have gotten many many jobs from Sunday calls.

lawnspecialties
04-18-2006, 09:19 PM
You bet I answer calls on Sunday..not a problem,alot of my work is at the clients second home..they may only be up for the weekend.They may work all week and are talking or thinking about their landscape or lack of one on Sunday and decide to call around.

I'm with She on this one. The one thing I have tried to do is develop a more personal, less rigid, relationship with my customers. Every now and then, a regular will call on Sunday or in the evening and usually, I'll get it. I want my customers to actually like me and it almost always shows. In the past seven years of my LCO, I have never lost a customer to a competitor. The only lost customers I've had have been due to moving, they can't afford an LCO, or I've had to fire them. Noone's abused my willingness to answer at odd hours, and I think they appreciate it. It's just one of the "personal touch" things I'm willing to do for them.

Don't worry, I'm already heading to the back of the bus. Actually, the view isn't so bad back here and nobody can sneak up behind me when I'm not looking.:waving:

ECS
04-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I answer my phone all the time. Part of the business is caretaking for second and third homes. Sometimes it is the alarm company calling and sometimes it is the customer calling. My customer have called late at night, very early in the morning, but not very often. Got a call at 2:30 in the morning from the alarm company because the freeze alarm on the hot tub was going off. I chose this business and will not turn a customer away for a 5 minute phone call.

Itsgottobegreen
04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
No way I'd ever answer my phone on a sunday, unless its one of my top customers who have my cell number. :
What he said.

mike lane lawn care
04-18-2006, 10:05 PM
i do a lot of my work on the weekends, i answer the phone whenever it rings, i have some friends who have been know to get into some serious trouble in the middle of the night. plus, if there was ever an emergency i'd want to answer the phone, i check the caller ID, but i still answer.

dtelawncare
04-19-2006, 12:14 AM
I fall on both sides of the fence on this issue. I make a point to inform all my customers of what hours I typically work. Most of them know Sunday I will be at church. However, I have gotten up early and worked a few hours, came home cleaned up and left for church with the family. This has been only for clean-ups that a great customer needed taken care of. One cutomer works two jobs and very odd hours. I understand why she needs to call me on the weekends. I don't plan on working Sunday's, but I will answer the phone if I am in the office.

ebeirsdorfer
04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
The way I see it you are turning down a possible contract by not answering the phone. You don't need to tell people you answer on Sunday but answer their calls if they do call.

topsites
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
The way I see it you are turning down a possible contract by not answering the phone. You don't need to tell people you answer on Sunday but answer their calls if they do call.

Yeah I mean it all does depend what it is, it could be a pita thing but it could also be something completely rational, you never really know but the 2am phonecall is something else lol.

It is a good thing I keep the phone in the other room when I sleep.

drsogr
04-20-2006, 10:30 PM

Spoken like a person that doesn't know their personal life from their business life. When I first started I answered all of the time, didn't matter when it was I would answer. As time goes on, and I am getting into the business more and more I am realizing that I need to seperate my business life and my personal life. If I don't, who will? If you want to be treated like a legit business....act like a legit business. I don't see any of the larger companies in town answering calls on Suinday.

PROCUT1
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Cant hear it ring at the office from my house. But If I stop in on a Sunday, I may check the machine and fire off a few calls, otherwise it takes half the morning on monday to get through them all. I hate playing phone tag. I wont go out of my way to return a call on a Sunday, but if Im not doing anything else, Id rather speak to the person and not a machine while they're at work

Paradise Landscapes
04-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I answer sunday calls all the time. Do I have a problem with it? no. A sunday call could mean more money for the gas and more fliers.

K.Carothers
04-23-2006, 10:59 AM
I do not answer my phone on Sunday's. If I would start, then the next thing is working on Sundays for me. I need a day of rest with my son. I will take a lost potential pita customer over a lost day with my son that I can never get back.

kc

muddstopper
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I have voice mail and caller id. I answer the phone if it is one of my regular customers, all newbies have to leave a message and they are gotten backto on Monday. I dont do lawn service, so most of my regular customers are either builders or dirt pushers. they usually dont have access to landline phones during the day and cell service is spotty at best in my area. Most of the time, they will call during evening hours, but one must realize that a lot of the time they work till dark on saturday trying to finish up a job, so it doesnt bother me if they call sunday, and when they do, it is usually just to leave a message saying they are ready for my services.

Mike33
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Sometimes i do some times not. I dont make a habit of it but business is business and i thrive for more even though im booked for 2 months. Its a personel preference no need to debate pick it up or let it ring, your choice.

Mike

mrusk
04-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Most of the time i never awnser the phone when it rings. I like to check out the phone # of the internet to see where exactly the call is coming from before i call them back. Often i have the picture of there house on the computer screen from goggle earth when i talk with them. THis better allows me to under stand what type of project they want.

Matt

OGM_Mows
04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I answer the phone whenever it rings and I can get to it. I have noticed that a lot of potential clients don't like to leave messages, they like to talk to a person. I remember that clients are the reason I am in business and I will do whatever it takes to make them happy. I really don't have anyone who abuses this.

Most people who are thinking about their lawn and landscape are doing so on the weekends when they are out in the yard. For all of you who don't answer on the weekends, that is your choice, but remember, when you don't answer they may just be calling someone like me who does.

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger
04-25-2006, 01:20 AM
I answer on the phone on Sundays If it is someone that wants a lawn cut that day I will tell them sure Ill cut it but your going to have to pay a call out fee . If you dont need it cut today I will get to it on Monday. One guy did say a call out for Sunday was fine by him and paid the $75.00 call out fee ontop of the lawn fee so all was good.

The Lawn Ranger
Taupo New Zealand

cwlawley
04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Yup, all the time. When do people think about doing yardwork..normally on the weekend and at night when they get home from work.

dcondon
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM

I'm also with you sheshovel:cool2: