PDA

View Full Version : Loud Trucks...

LawnScenes
04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I was just wondering how many of you guys have loud trucks. I don't mean road noise or things like that you hear while driving. I'm talking about the trucks that sound like a train rolling by when you take off. Loud exhausts basically.

The reason I ask is there's a guy a few doors down that does mainly tree work. I'm assuming he's landscaping also but I've never seen any equipment loaded except saws and such, and he doesn't have any at his home except for the 2 trucks. Anyway... He knows I'd rather not do tree work and usually sub it out if it's anything larger than 20 feet tall, and has been asking me to keep him in mind as a sub. From what I've seen he does good work but I just couldn't imagine him rolling up to a clients in his vehicles with the way they sound. He leaves really early in the morning and I could use this guys vehicles as an alarm clock if I needed to. I mean it's like something from a 70's hillbilly racing movie. I mean besides being a "good ole boy" thing... Is it just me... Or does anyone else think it just doesn't scream "professionalism"?

Badgerz
04-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, that's not too professional. I can see maybe a little rumble from a nice exhaust system but if it sounds like he's running open headers or something then, no, that wouldn't be very professional.

Dirty Water
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I find loud gasoline trucks irritating and annoying and redneck.

A loud diesel truck seems more professional, people hear loud dump trucks all day long, and recognize the sound.

A loud gasoline truck (regardless of its a nice exhaust system or not) just sounds like it has a hole rusted in the exhaust somewhere.

bugspit
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
whats worse than loud exhausts are those damn kids thumping their stereo next to ya at a stop light :angry:

I've laid on the horn a few times, some have even joined in...drowning out the thumping :clapping:

zim bob the landscaper
04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
whats up with u people and unprofessional its professional some companys dont have a choice. i know a company that has loud trucks and there bigger than alot of people on this site. what if its diesel like fords there pretty loud if there diesel. this is JMO so dont get pissed at me.

zim bob the landscaper
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
whats worse than loud exhausts are those damn kids thumping their stereo next to ya at a stop light :angry:

I've laid on the horn a few times, some have even joined in...drowning out the thumping :clapping:
those are cars i feel ya there i want to throw rocks at those kids. u no whats funny? put on like classical music or country and turn it up wicked loud i did it with metal and they did not like that.:laugh: :laugh:

Badgerz
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM

That is one of the most annoying things I can think of. If i wanted to hear your damn hip hop I'd be listening to it by choice not by your dumb ass forcing it on me. The worst is when the vehicle sounds so crappy you could swear the trunk was going to fall off at any moment. That rattle just makes you look so damn ******ed.

Sorry for the ramble, you hit a nerve. :)

LawnScenes
04-17-2006, 10:07 PM

I've got kids like that right next door. They do it every time the parents aren't home. Hopefully they'll fry another amp soon and I'll get another break for a while.

LawnScenes
04-17-2006, 10:14 PM
whats up with u people and unprofessional its professional some companys dont have a choice. i know a company that has loud trucks and there bigger than alot of people on this site. what if its diesel like fords there pretty loud if there diesel. this is JMO so dont get pissed at me.

I'm not talking about choice... I'm talking about when you intentionally go buy a case of beer and invite your buddies over one Saturday to make your truck sound like the apocalyps... Or going into the auto parts store and coming out with some aftermarket part the guy sold you along with the statement "this'll make dat dere truck o yours sounds bad ass pawdna"... Diesels are in a different category... They are supposed to sound like that. I'm talking about the gas engine guys that intentionally make them as loud as possible. You know... The one's that pull off and grin with the thoughts of someones ears bleeding as they drive by. You know the guys... They always shoot that "damn boy, I bet you're impressed with how my truck sounds" look when they go by. I mean I loved Dukes of Hazard also... But I just never understood the loud vehicle thing.

stroker51
04-17-2006, 10:37 PM

What I like to do to these kids, especially since they seem to always have their window down, if I am on their drivers side in the old 96 Powerstroke, is just stand on it from the light, or in traffic, doesnt really matter, with the straight pipe and Edge evolution in #2, she'll blow a nice cloud of black smoke in on them as I quickly put some massive distance between us.:clapping: I know this ain't professional, but this only happens mainly at night, when the magnets are off. Yes, my diesel is loud, and as many have said it should be, my gasser has dual glasspacks and just has a nice tone, not the straight pipe, redneck noise, just a nice rumble. There is a happy medium between stock exhaust and straight piped gassers.

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
04-17-2006, 10:47 PM
the straight pipe and Edge evolution in #2, she'll blow a nice cloud of black smoke in on them as I quickly put some massive distance between us.:clapping:

Im prolly gettin a diesel soon and just wondering how loud your straight piped diesel is? Thats what im gonna do and i want to to be bad soundin lol. :clapping:

TriplePLandscaping
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I really don't think it is near unprofessional, yes maybe if you do not have a muffler on and is rattling like hell maybe. But I have a flowmaster on my truck it gives the truck a nice rumble i love it.

Brendan Smith
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I've got kids like that right next door. They do it every time the parents aren't home. Hopefully they'll fry another amp soon and I'll get another break for a while.
i had the same problem from some neighbor kids down the street when my son was about 6 months old. the music was so loud he couldn't sleep and it was like 10 o'clock at night. so i went down there and told the kids (both of their parents work nights) that their stereo was really nice. then i told them i was going to let their parents hear how nice mine is (1400 watts constant, 4 15" subs) by pulling up in front of their bedroom window the next morning and see how they like it. (incidentally, i don't listen to rap, can't stand it. also turn it down in town and at gas stations, red lights, etc. but metal blaring at me on the highway doesn't bother anyone) the kids turned their crap down and haven't done it since. i think they knew i meant it.:weightlifter: :hammerhead:

zim bob the landscaper
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm not talking about choice... I'm talking about when you intentionally go buy a case of beer and invite your buddies over one Saturday to make your truck sound like the apocalyps... Or going into the auto parts store and coming out with some aftermarket part the guy sold you along with the statement "this'll make dat dere truck o yours sounds bad ass pawdna"... Diesels are in a different category... They are supposed to sound like that. I'm talking about the gas engine guys that intentionally make them as loud as possible. You know... The one's that pull off and grin with the thoughts of someones ears bleeding as they drive by. You know the guys... They always shoot that "damn boy, I bet you're impressed with how my truck sounds" look when they go by. I mean I loved Dukes of Hazard also... But I just never understood the loud vehicle thing.
ya theres a kid in back of me who has a chevy xtream and a 1500. he outs flow masters on them. i like them but there also not that loud my dad wants to put on on his truck too becasue that will higher miles per gallon. but his truck is already pretty loud.

lawnmaniac883
04-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Here is my opinion:

If you cut off the muffler 4'' from the headers, you may be a jackass.

If you unbolt the headers from the engine block, you may be a jackass.

If you straight pipe your engine so that everyone that drives past you is now deaf, you may be a jackass.

HOWEVER:

If you put on a decent exhaust system that has a nice rumble and is not so loud as to be heard from 3 blocks away, you are fine in my book.

If you put a free flow exhaust on a diesel, you are fine in my book.

JMO, a work truck shouldnt sound like a rice racer.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Im looking to upgrade to a diesel truck end of this year, ive been thinkin about it alot, since its going to be in front of peoples homes a lot, how loud do i want an exhuast. I dont really LIKE the loud ass mac truck noise from the 5" exhaust kits guys bolt on to their powerstroke, duramax or cummins, yes i do want mine modified "some" and added some boost and more torque/power, but if i have to go to a noisy, "jet taking off sound" exhuast that sounds like the turbo turbine is outside of the truck body, then no i would leave it stock. I personaly think the "LOUD" diesel trucks sound redneckish and just rediculous since theyre not "engine" loud theyre "hisssing" loud like a turbo sucking in a ton of air. Just like i HATE what a SRT4 turbo modified NEON sounds like in the car. Went in one of those last year and that godawful pissing sound wide open throttle on the street is about the same as holding compressed air near your ear lol

Ive heard some diesels definitly louder than stock but still ok/manageable, others like the cummins or ford guys that are going all out to make balls to the wall HP in their trucks, take off from a light and leave 10 cu. yds of soot in the lane next to them , sound like a redneck wishing he had a peterbuilt 18 wheeler and then looking rediculous because its noisy as hell just cruising... thats not what i want.

stroker51
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Im prolly gettin a diesel soon and just wondering how loud your straight piped diesel is? Thats what im gonna do and i want to to be bad soundin lol. :clapping:

It really isn't all that bad unless I just flat out stand on it. My uncle has a 97 PSD and I have been tryin to get him to put a straight pipe on it to make it breath better (the cat on that truck has to be gunked up at 240K) and he told me the other day mine wasnt as loud as he thought it woud be. All you really hear most of the time is the turbo whistle. My "straight pipe" is just cutting out my cat and muffler and welding in 2 pieces of I think it is 3 or 3.5" pipe. I am hoping to do it right this summer later on and get a 3 or 3.5, whichever I can get crammed in, down pipe, and then a 4" straight from downpipe back. You can be an a$$ and make it loud depending on how you drive it, but most of the time it isnt that bad. It is definately quieter than my bosses 99 cummins w/ a stock exhaust.

Lawn Masters
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
IMO gassers that are incredibly loud are just stupid. a decent muffler system, that sounds like a low rumble, as others have said, is perfectly fine by me. now diesels, lets get that muffler and cat out of there, and get that bigger pipe in.

Bustus
04-18-2006, 11:06 PM
It's definitely unprofessional to be rumbling to your job site. Same with having music blasting. I believe everything you do in your truck reflects your business.

tcls83
04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I have quiet trucks, but I don't care if anyone drives around in loud trucks. I mind my own P's and Q's. I actually like the sounds of some of the gas V8 exhausts. Was thinking of putting a nice exhaust on one of mine for my own enjoyment. Maybe those guys with exhausts probably don't even lose any clients as some clients don't know about cars and would believe it if you told them it came from the factory that way.

If I was looking to hire someone to cut my grass, and saw a guy with a quiet exhaust doing shoddy work, and a guy with straight pipes doing impeccable work, obviously I'd take the guy with the louder truck. (Heck, his truck could be nicer, anyways, not that that matters anyways.)

I used to be annoyed by guys pumping rap music in their Civics, but don't give a crap anymore. And, that's so 2001, it went the way of the mullet now. I don't know about anywhere else in the US, but the "ghetto cars" with thumping bass and huge tailpipes have disappeared as of recently.

There is no perfect lawn care operation out there, we all have our quirks.

Could it be that maybe you don't brush your teeth that much so when you meet potential clients you blow your stink cloud breath into their face? Is that "professionalism"?

What I am trying to say is, only the pain in the butt clients that you really don't really want to deal with anyways will be the only ones who would complain about a loud exhaust. So, maybe you should install an exhaust to see how much headaches this client could give you in the future?

If you gave an estimate while wearing a racoon skin cap, and the person hired you, you know for a fact that this new client will be totally stress-free for you.

jd6323
04-19-2006, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't say it's unprofessional. Most of the people I cut for probably wouldn't notice it if my truck was loud and the ones that would notice it probably would enjoy it if it sounded nice. What is stupid is when I see people drivin around with their signs all over their truck and trailer with really loud music on and driving stupid...not putting a good impression on people.

AintNoFun
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
my thoughts exactly nothing sounds worse than flowmasters or something of the sort on a gasser... diesels sound greats with no mufflers. you would find a ford diesel in my fleet without a muffler, trucks get lettered and the mufflers come off.......

A loud diesel truck seems more professional, people hear loud dump trucks all day long, and recognize the sound.

A loud gasoline truck (regardless of its a nice exhaust system or not) just sounds like it has a hole rusted in the exhaust somewhere.

FearThisDeere
04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a nice rumble from a Flowmaster 40 series on my Chevy which is the play truck and nothing special on thw Dodge work truck. I love a good rumble... nothing too crazy!

mcwlandscaping
04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a nice rumble from a Flowmaster 40 series on my Chevy which is the play truck and nothing special on thw Dodge work truck. I love a good rumble... nothing too crazy!
i agree......but the kids with those super bassy steros listenin to that rap, R&B and hip hop crap is deffinatly one of the most annoying things ever

04TurfT
04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I dont really see how thats unproffesional to have a loud truck.... I got two 40 forty series flowmasters and no cats on my tahoe....

meathead1134
04-20-2006, 01:24 PM
I dont really LIKE the loud ass mac truck noise from the 5" exhaust kits guys bolt on to their powerstroke, duramax or cummins, yes i do want mine modified "some" and added some boost and more torque/power, but if i have to go to a noisy, "jet taking off sound" exhuast that sounds like the turbo turbine is outside of the truck body, then no i would leave it stock. I personaly think the "LOUD" diesel trucks sound redneckish and just rediculous since theyre not "engine" loud theyre "hisssing" loud like a turbo sucking in a ton of air. Ive heard some diesels definitly louder than stock but still ok/manageable, others like the cummins or ford guys that are going all out to make balls to the wall HP in their trucks, take off from a light and leave 10 cu. yds of soot in the lane next to them , sound like a redneck wishing he had a peterbuilt 18 wheeler and then looking rediculous because its noisy as hell just cruising... thats not what i want.

I must be a redneck them, :weightlifter: :weightlifter: I really enjoy the sound of a good Diesel or a loud V8 it always gets my attention. I'm pretty much drooling when I hear something like that.

Then you wouldn't have enjoyed my 4th of july party last year. Burnouts infront of my house, muffler rapping competion. Truck burn out in my garage (i've got pictures) I'm surpised that nobody called the cops. My neighbors were cheering :usflag: .

Oh well can't please everybody :drinkup:

rickt
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I doubt any customer cares what the lawn company guy drives up in just like 99.9% careless about insurance, business license, if your equipment is commercial or not, etc. They just want the service they are paying for and a job well done.

Your "work" makes you look professional, not what you drive or work with.

Just because you drive a 2006 Ford wont make a customer not want to switch to a lawn guy who drives a 79 Ford thats all beatup who does a better job than you. You guys should worry about how well you can get a job done, not what you look like.

This reminds me of a guy i used to help who drove around in a 83 Ford F250 who was landing $30,000+ contracts to install water drains for home building contractors. Sure his work truck looked like junk but he had large contractors calling him left and right.

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
04-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I must be a redneck them, :weightlifter: :weightlifter: I really enjoy the sound of a good Diesel or a loud V8 it always gets my attention. I'm pretty much drooling when I hear something like that.

Then you wouldn't have enjoyed my 4th of july party last year. Burnouts infront of my house, muffler rapping competion. Truck burn out in my garage (i've got pictures) I'm surpised that nobody called the cops. My neighbors were cheering :usflag: .

nice. got any pics?

rfed32
04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
i wish my truck was loud...and nothing is wrong with having a system in ur truck, i guess its not to cool for the old timers on this site, but for the young bucks such as myself i feel that its not a big deal, sh*t if your work truck is the truck u take out on the weekends do whatever you want to it, tv's system, all of that stuff, as long as you turn the radio down when ur workin then all is good...now for having a loud exhausts do what u want i dont see it being unprofessional i think its ok/cool i know plenty of people in the biz that their trucks are loud and they have no problem, and they plow residental in the winter and hmmm same customers every year since they have had it on and plowing at all hours of the night, and they keep calling, must not be that bad for customers like rickt said they dont care all they want is to not do the work themselves and have it look good...

PROCUT1
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Any thing is better than the Honda Civics with the Fart-Can exaust tip thing they put on there to make it sound like a weedwhacker.

meathead1134
04-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Oh yeah I forgot I've got a dixie horn in my truck. My neighbors were laughing.

tcls83
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the closest experience I had to driving a "ghettoed out" Civic was when I was playing around with my trimmer's throttle.

meathead1134
04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh yeah I forgot I've got a dixie horn in my truck. My neighbors were laughing.

It's official I am a redneck as I was responding to this thread my wife came home and told me that she has a present for me :dancing: She bought an orange tee shirt with the picture of the General Lee on the front of it yeeee hawwww

LawnGuy73
05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I think its both unprofessional and I can't stand it. :rolleyes:

FrankenScagMachines
05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram with Cummins 12 Valve Turbo Diesel, straight piped with twin 5" chrome stacks in the bed. Maybe unprofessional, but I really don't care hehe.... fun to blow away the ricers... If I were to do it again I probably would just leave the exhaust under the back of the bed as the truck looks like too much of a toy with stacks in the bed of a work truck, but it doesn't really affect the trucks ability to be useful.... The slight loss of bed space makes no difference for me.

Now with my old toy trucks, the old PowerWagons, one has a mildly built 360 with headers and straight duals that dump under the doors. Its pretty loud! Another PowerWagon has a stock 360 with glasspack and its fine not too loud but you can hear it ok. If I were going to use either of these as a work truck, they would have dual exhaust all the way to the back of the bed with either glasspacks or turbo mufflers. I like to hear a truck sound healthy but not obnoxious (if work truck).. for a personal truck, I like it pretty loud but bearable.. for a toy, OBNOXIOUS!!! haha...

Potchkins
09-29-2006, 04:57 AM

Yeah, that's not too professional. I can see maybe a little rumble from a nice exhaust system but if it sounds like he's running open headers or something then, no, that wouldn't be very professional.

i'll go with Dirty Water on the diesel
and Badgerz on the gas burner