PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these?

Harry0
04-18-2006, 07:51 AM
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=1795
Could be helpful.
Harry

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Don't use one but interesting concept.

SprinklerGuy
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
By the time you have broken out your fabulous flushing POS..I have flushed the zone and installed the nozzles.

Great idea....who has time for it?

DanaMac
04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Change your name from SprinklerGuy to CrankyGuy!

I agree, another tool I'd use a couple times, then get lost in the bottom of my tool box. Not worth it to me.

SprinklerGuy
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
LOL.....CrankySprinklerGuy?

Keith
04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I looked at them on their site a few weeks ago and got the same impression. You'd use it a few times and decide it was more effort than it was worth. Of course I have stuff like that, things that are bought and rarely used. Also, looks like the allen wrench is seperate, so that would be the first thing to get lost.

SWD
04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I have two of them - the guy that was initially marketing them sent me those for a try out.
They work all right - especially when you have multiple sprays on one section and you want to flush them all at once. It is handy to reach down to extend the retracted riser for nozzle installation.
I will say that when we hit a 100*F - which was yesterday - we don't mind getting doused while flushing sections :).
I wouldn't buy one but I don't mind having those two either.

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
On new spray zones there should already be flush caps on the sprinklers.

We spent the day going through a large parking lot area of one of our high schools. If the riser retracts for some reason we just screw the Toro extractor into it, pull it up and put a spare flush cap on it. Then we can stand back, fire the controller via remote, blow the debris out and put a fresh filter and nozzle on the sprinkler. :hammerhead:

Dirty Water
04-18-2006, 11:17 PM
We don't use the toro 570's, but on the RB 1804's you can pull the riser up with the handy leatherman your supposed to always have on you :)

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 11:23 PM
We don't use the toro 570's, but on the RB 1804's you can pull the riser up with the handy leatherman your supposed to always have on you :)

And if you forget your handy leatherman you should put a Toro 570 in instead? :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
04-18-2006, 11:24 PM
And if you forget your handy leatherman you should put a Toro 570 in instead? :rolleyes:

I've had great luck with threading a flush plug with the riser retracted.

PurpHaze
04-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I've had great luck with threading a flush plug with the riser retracted.

This fits my large hands better. :)

jerryrwm
04-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Bend a small hook at the end of a marking flag - it will pull up the Rainbird/Hunter/Weathermatic etc flow tube every time.

Harry0
04-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I am amazed at the ingenuity that comes from necessity. Thats what this board is all about.
I will probably buy one (small investment) just to try it. The ideas just from this thread are great.
A marking flag has many uses: flow tube lifter, nozzle cleaner, temporary fastener or tye-down etc.
The one tool I am lost without is the irritool. I carry it in a buck knife pouch and use it a hundred times a day.
Harry

Wet_Boots
04-19-2006, 07:58 AM
One more use for a marking flag, for the one time you managed not to have any allen wrenches with you, and you were going to have to reduce the distance on a few of the Toro Super600 heads you just installed, in order to get paid for the install, is to file some flats on the end of the flag wire, and turn it into a close approximation to a 1/16 hex. Of course, you don't have a file, either, so the concrete curb will have to do. This actually works.

PurpHaze
04-19-2006, 09:02 AM
A marking flag has many uses: flow tube lifter, nozzle cleaner, temporary fastener or tye-down etc.

They also make great witching rods. :)

PurpHaze
04-19-2006, 09:04 AM
the Toro Super600 heads you just installed,

And then you get to adjust the arc on them. Button, button, who's got the button. :rolleyes: