PDA

View Full Version : Starting a business in Connecticut

LTD Services
04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi i need a little help. I am starting a business here in Connecticut and i have a few questions. I have worked in the field for 7 years and thought it was about time i started out on my own.I plan on just doing lawn cutting for the first few years and plowing during the winter. So first i was wondering is there any lic's i need here in ct? Second is how much insurance should i carry, i see most people are carrying 1mil lib is that enough? I am not sure what i need and what i don't any and all help would be nice thanks guys

Lenny :confused:

scagwildcat
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
im not far from you, i would say, DONT DO IT!! every year it gets harder and harder, were we live the people are loosing their jobs and lawn care is a privilege and not a necessity... also many people are doing it in our area, most without insurance.. as far a Ct. lic.... not needed for mowing, fert however is another story... good luck to you !!

Gmgbo
04-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Go to the states website you can do everything from there. First you have to file for a name and make sure no one has it, then a Federal EIN, and then a sales tax and use permit beacause lawn mowing is a taxable service. If you are going to do any changes to a persons hosue such as planting trees, you need a home improvement contractors license. It will cost $200-400 to start up.

As far as insurance, its a good thing to have, but can be expensive.

Badgerz
04-20-2006, 08:24 AM
im not far from you, i would say, DONT DO IT!! every year it gets harder and harder, were we live the people are loosing their jobs and lawn care is a privilege and not a necessity... also many people are doing it in our area, most without insurance.. as far a Ct. lic.... not needed for mowing, fert however is another story... good luck to you !!

And, of course, a new LCO would be more competition for you. :)

scagwildcat
04-20-2006, 08:39 AM
NO, its not that, look up my thread slow year and see for yourself im just trying to help him...... why are people so negative all the time...i dont even go near his town, i just live not to far away from him...

richallseasons
04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
knock yourself out,there is plenty of work to go around in my opinion,i have some things in bristol go to www.ct-clic.com and look around:)

Gmgbo
04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
ill be building a stone wall right on wolcott st in bristol this week hopefully