PDA

View Full Version : Mulch for steep grade

NEPSJay
04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Just curious as to what is the steepest grade you would recommend for a mulch install. customer of mine wants a steep embankment mulched w/ weed barrier fabric install. I dont like the idea. my thinking is a good rain would wash it all downhill. the size of the area is approx. 110 feet by 20 feet wide and is at least a 45 degree angle. I was thinking of possibly some colored stone or some low growing shrubs. Also i thought tiered block wall would be perfect but too much $$$ for him. Thank You!

Grn Mtn
04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
definitely no to the weed fabric, that will just be a mess later on. the mulch might hold if you use a triple ground (the dust kind of acts as a cement) but really your best bet would be some tall fescue if it is a sunny location.

NEPSJay
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
too steep for tall fescue. this must be as maintaince free as possible. thanks.

mike lane lawn care
04-18-2006, 08:26 PM
could you install some sort of netting every few feet down the hill? just a 3" high black net that would hold the wood chips from falling down when it rained. other than this, you could plant some ferns or something.

PSUturf
04-18-2006, 10:24 PM
A coarse, kind of stringy bark mulch will hold better than double or triple ground mulch. The smaller you make the particles the easier it is for them to go into suspension during a heavy rain and float downhill. If a slope is so steep that you are afraid mulch will slide down a ground cover is probably a good option. If it is sunny try crown vetch. No maintenance once it is established other than a few minutes of weeding every year. Putting fabric on a slope and covering it with mulch could be a money maker for you. You'll be out there once a month throwing the mulch back uphill.

AGLA
04-19-2006, 06:47 AM
PSU is absolutely right about long strigy bark hholding the slope the best. Fabric acts as a ski slope.

AintNoFun
04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
wildflower mix?

sheshovel
04-19-2006, 02:15 PM
It's called Gorrilla Hair here..a triple ground..very processed stringy hairy bark.Put it on thick and pack it down good.I mean 5'' to 6'' thick.

NEPSJay
04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Putting fabric on a slope and covering it with mulch could be a money maker for you. You'll be out there once a month throwing the mulch back uphill.

Mulch is not an option at this point. At the bottom of the hill there is a white vinal stockade style fence, parallel to the bottom of the hill. The fence surrounds an inground swimming pool. I'm not looking for trouble w/ mulch in the bottom of the neighbors pool. any idea of how much to charge for mulch removal from an 8 ft deep swimming pool with divers scuba gear? I'll pass. I found some #3 size colored stone today i think might do the trick. Im also gonna suggest the low growing grounds covers. Any other suggestions, Please chime in. Thank you.

olderthandirt
04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Mulch is not an option at this point. At the bottom of the hill there is a white vinal stockade style fence, parallel to the bottom of the hill. The fence surrounds an inground swimming pool. I'm not looking for trouble w/ mulch in the bottom of the neighbors pool. any idea of how much to charge for mulch removal from an 8 ft deep swimming pool with divers scuba gear? I'll pass. I found some #3 size colored stone today i think might do the trick. Im also gonna suggest the low growing grounds covers. Any other suggestions, Please chime in. Thank you.

Mulch it then hire a hydroseeder to just spray it with tack. It will glue it in place till it rots away.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I think a ground cover or or some type of grass is the way to go.

NNJLandman
04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
you could do it, just tell him he needs to add shrubs to hold the hill back.

Jeff

sheshovel
04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
You are looking at a WHOLE lotta trouble if you try and go with rock,Gorrilla hair is the only way to go with this.....
I don't wanna talk about this..I am gonna freak-out
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!