PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys wear hats?

stihlgirl
04-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm always having customers tell me I should wear a hat. Hats at work drive me crazy... always having to take it off to wipe the sweat away. But I'm thinking about putting up with it anyway. What type of hats do you wear?

Soupy
04-19-2006, 01:07 AM
I were hats, and ear muff style hearing protectors. I do this so I can listen to music or I would go with the in ear style. It is hot, but you get used to it. I were regular baseball style hats, but did purchase some of the full brim hats awhile back and keep telling myself I should start wearing them. The back of my neck was burnt, but now it's turned to tan. I might go dig those full brim hats out anyway just because I should.

Anthony-MB
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
I have short hair, so I wear hat to keep my scalp from burning
I hate the ball cap type hats so I wear am old (regular)fashion type

Sweat -- ever hear of a sweat band ( I buy these by the dozen )

Hat + sweat band + ear protection = may look stupid , but making the money:weightlifter: ( imagine lifting money)

Bustus
04-19-2006, 01:46 AM
I almost always wear a hat, for the reasons above, and it keeps my hair somewhat clean. Better than messy hair!

n2h20
04-19-2006, 03:02 AM
I wear a hat as often as I can. The big straw rimmed type, Ones with holes on the top are best. im losing my hair and the sun beats on my noggin and burns it.

stihlgirl
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I may go with the sweatbands. My ponytail gets in the way with a brimmed hat.

dwlah
04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I wear a regular ball cap til it gets hot then I switch to straw hats
I pick them up at the thrift store from .59 to 5.00
I have a habit of leaving them around cant see spending a lot on something Im going to lose

woodycrest
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
nuthin worse than a fried bald spot!

i wear baseball stayle hats most of the time.

nephilim0167
04-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh yeah. Most of the winter I don't wear a hat but as the sun here in Phoenix gets warmer I put one on. Like the other guys I've got short hair and a shortage of hair - so a ball cap does keep the sun off my head. I'd imagine that I will have on a straw hat here soon as we're already in the 90's. :clapping: :clapping:

FERT-TEK
04-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm always having customers tell me I should wear a hat. Hats at work drive me crazy... always having to take it off to wipe the sweat away. But I'm thinking about putting up with it anyway. What type of hats do you wear?
I wear a Fedora and a tank top, drives the woman wild.
Seriously, I bought a uniform so to speak today. Tan, Dickies cargo shorts 19.99 each and red polo style shirts 10.00 on sale both at Kmart. I also wear a baseball cap and hearing protection. I have a double curse, I am balding and have hearing loss from my job as a fireman (sirens and power tools). I have worn hearing protection my entire adult life but still have significant hearing loss. WHAT!!!!! thought the wife was calling me.

jtkplc
04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes, but not always.

Precision
04-21-2006, 08:14 AM
ball cap in winter.
collapsable "boonie" hat with full brim and water proof in summer.

CBramble
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Everyday, am hardly ever without it....

LawnBrother
04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I wear a wide brimmed "straw" hat. The hand woven ones that are full of holes. Head stays cool, sun stays off my face and out of my eyes.

oldrustycars
04-30-2006, 11:16 PM
i wear a hard hat at work.

Tadams
04-30-2006, 11:20 PM
I shave my head every day so I HAVE to wear a hat. I don't want skin cancer on the top of my head- or anywhere for that matter. I picked up a couple of fishing hats from Sports Authority last year that work great. They are like a regular baseball cap except that they have a slightly longer bill and they have a flap on the back to keep the sun off of my neck. Got the Company name embroidered on them and they look GOOD! :dancing:

General Landscaping
05-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Checking in with a MIL spec, wide brim boonie in woodland camo.(complete with stampede string)

ALAN'S LAWN CARE
05-01-2006, 01:30 AM
i used to wear caps..one year i shaved my head not all the way bald but i had like 1/8" it kept me kool thats al i do know shave it about april and just keep it trimmed short..my hair is about has short has if you was a marine...

garth1967
05-01-2006, 06:28 AM
hats give me headaches

Dirty Water
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I wear a baseball cap with our company logo on it.

J&R Landscaping
05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I was never much of a hat person but last season in july or august, I just put one on for the day and I just got into wearing them. Now, I feel weird if I don't have a hat on!

liquidforcedude7
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Longerish hair and hats make for a very hot uncomfortable day, so no.

work4green
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes, I am almost always wearing a hat. With the brush cutting work I specialize in, I used to wear a peltor hardhat/ear muff setup. It must have built up my neck muscles- I can fall asleep without my head bobbing now.:cool2: :headphones:

racerxgtpro2002
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
again great advise, i require my guys to wear my uniforms which include visor/ball cap, polo shirts, chakey shorts/pants. yes it is hot, realy hot here(lol) i love the links,so i am customed to wearing visors.and with a nice pair of saftey crew glasses ( which,if not worn would get my guys terminated ). down time cost money,and a good crew is hard to come by, they make me money,so i make them priorty above all else,but never compramise on saftey.comfort is for vacations (lol)

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Yup, I wear a hat all the time.

Critical Care
06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Month old thread, but I'll reply.

I wear a bush hat, which is one that I got while in Kenya. One or both sides can be snapped up, as the Ausie's wear them. In order to wear my Peltors, I have to snap up both sides, or else switch over to a baseball cap.

In twenty years a lot of you young buckeroos will have wished that you had worn a hat, and put on sunscreen.

DynaMow
06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
What a bunch of sissys, you might burn your little heads.

No hat, to hot. I get some pretty decent scratchs/cut on that dome sometimes. No warning system installed. I will not get cancer very strong Italian skin. Does not burn, just stays hot!

DLS1
06-11-2006, 08:31 AM
What a bunch of sissys, you might burn your little heads.

That statement says a lot about how safety conscious you are and your character. What an imbecile. Look it up in the dictionary. That one word has a lot of meanings and they probable all apply to you.

Go back to collecting unemployment it will keep you alive longer. :laugh: :laugh:

Macho man with no brain. Please do no reproduce offspring. :laugh: :laugh:

Critical Care
06-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I will not get cancer very strong Italian skin. Does not burn, just stays hot!

All I can say to that is... RIP

AZScooter
06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I always am wearing my Tilly. Absolutely a fantastic hat to wear, not to heavy and fits comfortably.

BESTYARDS
06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Wear a Barma leather hat "made in Australia". It is sweat soaked and has white lines full of salt. Wear it rain or shine, winter or summer. It protects from some of those low hanging limbs and in case of rain, no need for an umbrella.

LONEMAN
07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I've found that wearing a hat (and sunglasses) really helps keep the sun out of my eyes and really helps me see better. I react to obstacles faster and the mowing patterns look more defined than when I don't have a hat on (easier to see where the cut grass meets the uncut grass). The only thing I don't like about wearing hats is that they can get caught in trees which causes me to mess up my mowing pattern when I have to adjust it! Better than messing up my head, I guess... :laugh:

Critical Care
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
The only thing I don't like about wearing hats is that they can get caught in trees which causes me to mess up my mowing pattern when I have to adjust it! Better than messing up my head, I guess...

Sounds like hard hat time! But yes, low limbs tend to do that, as well as knocking off your Peltors.

On the coast, blackberry brambles were thick weedy areas that would grow up to the edge of lawns, and worse than having your hat knocked off by limbs while cruising and cutting on a rider were these blackberry thorns that could latch onto your arms like fishing hooks and nearly pull you off your mower.

LONEMAN
07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I sometimes call em prickly b-#%@!

LONEMAN
07-07-2006, 03:45 PM
On the coast, blackberry brambles were thick weedy areas that would grow up to the edge of lawns, and worse than having your hat knocked off by limbs while cruising and cutting on a rider were these blackberry thorns that could latch onto your arms like fishing hooks and nearly pull you off your mower.

Oh yeah, I hate those things. When I get snatched by one of those prickly #%*@!, I'm like :eek:

Zito
08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I agree with AZScooter. I wear a Tilley, and it makes a HUGE difference. I have more energy at the end of the day, and can see what I'm doing without having the sun in my eyes.

rfed32
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
wear a hat 75% of the time with something under it

curtislawncare
08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I need to wear a hat to keep the sweat and sun off my bald head but hats annoy me.

parkeeee
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I have over 1000 hats in my collection.

The only time that I will wear a hat is when it is very cold, when raining or if I'm fishing.

I'm never outside without sunglasses.

jkingrph
08-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Have tried straw hats, ventilated hats but best has been Military surplus "pith helment" It has a suspension so helmet does not touch anywhere except for hatband area and ventilates quite well esp on a riding mower. Extra thickness seems to keep heat off your head.

Jeff

totalturfga
09-08-2006, 03:20 PM
In the summer I get to hot with a hat on. If I'm not careful I can get over heated very quickly and the idea of passing out isn't all that high on my list. I will wear a bandana which helps keep the sweat out of my eyes. Plus I can drench it in the cooler and makes my head feel much better.

Now in the winter I don't leave the house without a hat. If I can keep my head and my toes warm the rest of me is pretty much fine.

Branchland
09-08-2006, 06:32 PM
I harley ever wear a hat. Just don't like them. But first thing in the morining I will being that my hair is sticking every which way. But after the first yard I'm sweating it so it stays down and the hat comes off.

ACutAbovesiny
09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I always wear a hat. I had hats made for the business.

BMFL79
10-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Nope, I can't stand hats. I get so hot that when I wear a hat it gives me a headache. When I was a cook, we had to wear hats. Ball caps were ok. When I would get hot and start to get a headache, I could take my hat off and immediately feel better.
Plus, I like the bleach blonde look for the summer.

fyshstykr
11-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Absolutely.

PROFESSORRAIN
11-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes i wear a hat,but i shave my head for aero dynamics and found out that if i keep 2 water kegs on my trailer 1 lg for gatorade 1 small for ice cold towels drop 10 hand towels from $1.00 store in the ice water keeps you cool.wash and return to ice water next day repeat regularly thru summer time.

Beau Rivage
11-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I wear a ball cap, shades and big ear muffs over the lot. I'm going to try a boonie next summer instead...or maybe one of those fishing hats mentioned earlier.

AndyTblc
11-25-2006, 02:31 PM
When I wear hats and sun glasses, my ear muffs aren't as effected, and the noice interfears with the radio.

Steve's Mow & Trim
01-24-2007, 12:53 AM
The boonie style hat workes best (fisherman kind) keeps sun off your face and off your neck. You can't do anything about sweating...who cares

GreenN'Clean
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Ive wore a hat all my life

TGK
01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Have hats made for your business,if you like wearing them, just my .02

Total.Lawn.Care
01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I always wear Ball Cap Hats. I wear HD hats right now, but I am soon going to have some made for the business.

scottish lscape1
01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Sometimes I wear a hat pending on the temp, mostly in the Fall. But, I do issue 2 hats to employees each year. Their choice to wear them.

lawntimenosee
02-07-2007, 01:30 AM
The only time I wear a hat is on a cloudy day.

If it's sunny, I have to wear my sunglasses. Been wearing them so long I feel blind w/out them now.
Tried to wear cap n glasses together.. never works with baseball cap.

I need to start wearing a hat more often though.
I'm actually looking for a good hat for sun protection cause my neck gets burnt in the summer here.
Seems I had a good one a long time ago for camping.. maybe from campmor?.. can't remember.

How about someone suggest a good quality full brim hat :jester: that you wear that's comfortable to you so I can check it out.

A link with pics would be great too!

7 IRON
02-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Wear A Hat Pretty Much All The Time Unless I'm Inisde.:drinkup:

jinx 88
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I wear a regular ball cap with my logo, it looks more proffesional and it keeps the sun outta my eyes.

Swampy
02-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Use a Military Olive Drab Boonie. Had a regular ball cap for a while but I fried my ears and back of my neck a few years ago that hurt so freaking bad. I just had my sister in law embroder it with the name. Now the owner, supervisor, and both foreman have them.

WI heat and humity = Sucks.