PDA

View Full Version : Rototilling 2500 sq ft

Armadillolawncare
04-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Can anyone give me an idea how long it will take to rototill aa 2500 sq ft level backyard? I am going to kill everything, till it, rake it and then resod it. I just don't know how long the tilling will take me.

Armadillolawncare
04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Any help? Please.

LawnScenes
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
how big is your rotor tiller? And... Why not just use a power rake. It'll till and level for you all in a pass or two.

AWJ Services
04-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I always remove the existing grass.If you rototill it into the ground it tends to clump and make it hard to smooth the ground and also as it decays it can leave depressions .

I always hit with my Harley rake then just hand rake the grass out and bag it up and haul it off.
It is very feasible too do it on a small job like this.
Big jobs I have a dumpster brought in.

Also the Rototiller tends too dig too deep and makes the gound soft which can lead too dips.

But if you must rototill I would set aside at least 4 hours with a good rear tine tiller .If the ground is really tough it may take longer.

If you have access to a tractor you can use a box blade and it will get most of it.

desertrat
04-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Harley rake if at all posible. Rototilling makes a big mess, but if you must, use a rear tiller. Why kill it and then Rototill? Just Harley rake it, and lay new sod. I state when doing these jobs, I remove most of the old stuff, but unless we come in with a skid and remove at least 1" of dirt, there is no way to completely get rid of the old grass. Oh, around here everything is bermuda, so completely removing it is impossible. I give two prices, one to "basically" get rid of it, and the other to "completely get rid of it. The second is 3 times the price of the first.

Dweezil
04-21-2006, 09:47 PM
How about saving the time of killing it all off and tilling it, cut all the old turf out and lay in the new sod. Should only take about half the time to get it done.

Idealtim
04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
6 hours with a wb 30 inch 12hp. But depends on how hard the ground is.

LawnsRUsInc.
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Or harley rake it in about 30 min topswith much better results and no hand raking harley rakes are by far the best machine for a loader