PDA

View Full Version : red mulch stained concrete

Anthony-MB
04-19-2006, 02:17 AM
I was spreading red mulch for customer, now there are red stains on concrete walkway and driveway.

I tried to wash off, but made things worst, spread red stain instead.

So my question is how do I remove the red stains???????

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-19-2006, 03:33 AM
You can keep hosing it off, or just let it be. It will naturally fade and wash away in a few weeks.

Mike33
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I had a bad experience with it also. Not with concrete but a real mess. My wife manages a 130 unit apart. complex and a has a slight grade going out back door 50' thru yard. Her corp. office had the domb ass idea to have me cut a a side walk area to parking lot and fill with red mulch. Okey im in business to make $ so i took my bobcat and made a single cut as told. Started at top adding red mulch got almost half way down and it started to rain. The parking lot from the run off looked like Charles Manson did his number on a few people ( yes a river of blood ). Well next day i got paid again to remove mulch and put in crushed stone for a sidewalk.
Mike

sheshovel
04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Try Simple Green..cleaner.....and a stiff scrub brush or stiff broom

Kate Butler
04-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Try Simple Green..cleaner.....and a stiff scrub brush or stiff broom

Can you say concrete paint??

fcg
04-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I was in the wood bus for 23 years. In most cases you are putting down hogged up pallets and other urban wood waste. the wood is old and the resins in the wood won't allow any stains to hold to it. some of the stains used will however stick to any clean surface. these same dyes are used in concrete colors. At First Class Grass we just say no to any customer that asks about this stuff.

Jimmy in Montana

PGA
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
I still have dyes from the "java brown" cedar on my driveway after 8 months. Good luck.

Dweezil
04-20-2006, 12:08 AM
If simple green won't do it (haven't had many jobs that it won't) get some sulfuric acid (sold as muratic acid, driveway cleaner, some other names), a stiff push broom and protective waders, gloves, and goggles. Put the acid down and scrub at the stain. Use a pressure washer to clean the acid off and your done. Shoulden't take more than an hour start to finish, and if the customer is really upset about the drive way offer to split the cost to do the whole driveway depending on how big it is.

Kate Butler
04-20-2006, 09:54 AM
If simple green won't do it (haven't had many jobs that it won't) get some sulfuric acid (sold as muratic acid, driveway cleaner, some other names), a stiff push broom and protective waders, gloves, and goggles. Put the acid down and scrub at the stain. Use a pressure washer to clean the acid off and your done. Shoulden't take more than an hour start to finish, and if the customer is really upset about the drive way offer to split the cost to do the whole driveway depending on how big it is.

How good (or not) is this stuff for the grass alongside the driveway?? I can recall being splashburned more than once putting it into our pool when I was a kid.

Dweezil
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Ive never had a problem useing it, but I've only done small areas and really soaked the area to dilute it when I was done. It's a last resort when simple green just isen't enough.

LwnmwrMan22
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I was in the wood bus for 23 years. In most cases you are putting down hogged up pallets and other urban wood waste. the wood is old and the resins in the wood won't allow any stains to hold to it. some of the stains used will however stick to any clean surface. these same dyes are used in concrete colors. At First Class Grass we just say no to any customer that asks about this stuff.

Jimmy in Montana

I can get you pictures of the 1000's of yards of mulch here. It's all trees.

As with anything, you have to be careful.

It's the same as when you're putting gas in your trimmer on a day it's 60+ and sunny out.

If you spill it on the blacktop, you're going to leave a mark.

As MJLs said, leave it be, it'll be gone in a couple of weeks.

It's just the same as when you spin your mower tire on concrete, it'll be gone shortly.

If your customer is complaining, just tell them that you'd like to let it set for a couple of weeks, at which point you'll take additional matters if need be.

I WILL say however, this is 1 of 2 reasons that I shovel everything out of my dump trailer instead of dumping it first. You don't have this issue, plus your clean-up is virtually non-existant.

Obviously, if I'm spreading 20+ yards of mulch I'm not doing it this way, but the 10 or under yards of mulch, it's the way I do it.

dtelawncare
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I also have a question about the red mulch. I use the red mulch in my own flower beds. Never had stain problem until a couple weeks ago. I went and got a truck load after a good rain shower. I had red all over my hands for 3 days. I plan on putting up a border around my kids play house and swing set and filling it with about 6 inches of mulch. If I use the red, will my wife kill me about all the red stained clothes???

Travel'n Trees
04-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Power washer with a tornado head! It's not a big deal!

nobagger
04-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Next time use a tarp:hammerhead:

Kate Butler
04-21-2006, 08:10 AM
If I use the red, will my wife kill me about all the red stained clothes???

Very possibly - unless YOU take on the laundry chores: this would give you GREAT insight into WHY she might want to kill you in the first place.

Sushiman
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
The dye in the mulch is a food grade colorant. Find something that will somewhat take dye out (if possible). It is very difficult to get that color out of the driveway unfortunately.

Travel'n Trees
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Use a dump truck, tarps and trailers are way too slow!

wurkn with amish
04-22-2006, 09:34 PM
reason #1002-- why we dont use red mulch
--gets wet stains everything

Idealtim
04-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Pressure washer with simply green pick up if water permiting. Rental washers are pretty cheap.

LwnmwrMan22
04-24-2006, 12:03 AM
One thing I'd like to know... how long was the mulch on the concrete??

I can't see how it would stain unless it was on there for a period of time and got rained on to begin with.

olderthandirt
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Has anyone noticed that dyed mulches slowly kill the plants and bushes it around? It may take a cple yrs but they slowly die out from the poison thats being laid over top of there roots to leach down where its absorbed. I refuse to use colored mulches. Besides I think they look unnatural and cheap

sheshovel
04-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I don't use them either.Muratic acid can and will eat concrete Dweezil..be carefull useing it.

olderthandirt
04-24-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't use them either.Muratic acid can and will eat concrete Dweezil..be carefull useing it.

Not only will eat concrete its one of the best steralents you can use. Have a gravel drive and don't want weeds spray it with muratic acid and your good for a least 1 more than likely 2 yrs before anything will grow.

Mr. Vern
04-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Colored mulches are here to stay. They offer a plethora of advantages over untreated wood chips. The red ones are hideous looking in my opinion, but if they are properly produced and cured they should not bleed under most conditions. You do not want them near a pool because the chemicals will cause leaching of the colorant, but as far as normal applications; there should not be a problem. What many of you most likely have experienced is an improperly cured product. The product needs to dry and completely cure prior to distribution. Since the colorant is a water based dye, if you do not let it go through a complete drying cycle prior to getting it wet again, it will bleed. I would bet that regions with regular rains would have more trouble with this than areas such as California where we can go 6-8 months without rain. We are having a lot of trouble getting curing times on our mulches this year due to the abnormally high rains, but we are disclosing this fact to our customers and educating them on the necessary precautions. As far as cleaning it goes, the simple green approach should significantly lighten the color and eventually it will fade out completely. I would really think twice about using acid to wash concrete unless you plan to seal it afterwards and continue to keep it sealed. Acid will eat the cement off of the surface and will expose the sand and agregates giving the finish a much rougher look. Use it with caution and sparingly at that.

LwnmwrMan22
04-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I've been using red mulch now for 5+ years, haven't seen any bushes dying yet.

I'm not one that removes the mulch yearly either, just put 1/2" or so on top, just to get the color back.

I agree though, I don't care for the colors, I'd rather just use natural, but it's all up to the customer.

I'm sure not all of you have a Famous Daves BBQ place in your area, but the one that I do, they had me tear out 1/2 the grass and turn it into Ruby Red mulch / bushes.

After all, it's what the customer wants 90% of the time. If they ask my opinion, or seem like they want to be led in one direction or the other, I'll state my opinion, but other than that, I've also learned that I can mark up Red / colors a little more, since a customer "thinks" it "special".

SOMM
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Don't Ever Ever Use Red Mulch !! Brown Mulch is way cheaper and fades to look like _ _ _ _ in the same amount of time in direct sun! Ever think of upselling them with perennial liriope border and daylilies instead of mulch every year? These desirable perennials work well in either sun or shade, unless its where all the snow and salt get pushed in the winter.

They Want Red?? Then it's up to you to have the posture to upsell them to Crushed Red Brick or Red Lava Rock !! Granted, it's one of the most expensive mulches and needs retaining, but make it affordable for them by stretching out your balance remittance payments over the next 6 months thereafter. Just give it to 'em (they think)free with the next tree/shrub/and durable-perennial, stone bordered bed you install the whole package for them !

Very possibly - unless YOU take on the laundry chores: this would give you GREAT insight into WHY she might want to kill you in the first place..

Superb perspective Kate, with Mom's Day coming up soon.
Here with us, the wife feels that after a quarter century with husb -s.o.g.. that he's living on borrowed time anyway ROTFLOL !!!

Want a good woman ? Then treat your woman good, with some degree of frequency.
We need to set a Supreme Court precedent that permits that if he ain't bought her that "rock" yet after all these years ... then he deserves to be slowly poisioned with anti-freeze in his old age! ROTFLOL !!!
:hammerhead:

Anthony-MB
04-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Finally got the stains off,
used simple green to presoak then blasted it with a pressure washer.

:clapping:

Dweezil
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Believe me, I've learned what it can do. That's why it's a last resort after Simple Green and a wire brush followed by a pressure washer.

XMT&RCV
04-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Jimmy in Montana

Hey Jimmy,

How's it going! I am orginally from Florida. I moved to Missoula to work for MSU as a Network Admin and boy what a shock! (weather wise)... and there I met my wife which then led to the Marine Corp. which brought us to NC..

Now my question is when we get out in Sept where are we going to move MT or FL... since being here in NC I started up my own Lawn Care Service and it has grown from 3 customers to about 15 with this just being a job in the afternoon to compensate for lack of a better word sucky government pay! I really like the outdoors and thought of doing this full-time.. I know the there are two seasons in MT Winter and July 4th.. but during July 4th what are the strengths for the business... And for the winter months I know Snow removal is what you would call a never ending battle... So with you actually living there whats your take on the biz... I would really like to get back to MT...

Tucker~

sheshovel
04-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Finally got the stains off,
used simple green to presoak then blasted it with a pressure washer.

:clapping:

Well how do you like that?See worked huh?:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

gorknoids
05-01-2006, 11:14 PM
They wanted to use red-dyed pallet mulch, and they're concerned about the way their place looks? LMAO!
Sorry. Had to say it. Just tell Ronald and the Hamburglar that it will wash out before they know it.

causalitist
07-16-2006, 02:58 PM
How good (or not) is this stuff for the grass alongside the driveway?? I can recall being splashburned more than once putting it into our pool when I was a kid.

muriatic acid is 27% hydrochloric acid. will kill grass way better than roundup concentrate... and foam and smoke while doing it. turns it black. i just did this myself from acid runoff when i used it to clean out rust from an old gastank.