PDA

View Full Version : load placement on trailer

jd6323
04-19-2006, 04:57 AM
I've always balanced the load on my trailer so that the wait is mostly on the trailer axle and not the tounge. Is there a reason most everyone in my area is running around with one mower on a trailer and have it loaded all the way up front? I guess it's easier to tie it down that way but man it makes the truck ride like crap. How do you do it?

LindblomRJ
04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
10 % of the total weight of the trailer should be on the tongue of the tow vehicle. 4000 LB trailer 400 LB tongue weight (down force on to the trailer ball). By loading further foward on the trailer the trailer will handle better. Slightly ahead of the axle (s) with a mower (depending on size) should give a proper weight ballance.

It will tow better. The trailer will handle better. If the truck is heavy duty enough the ride should not be a problem.

General Landscaping
04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
If you have the wieght balanced on the trailer axle; you are setting yourself up for dangerous swaying, usually at highway speeds, sometimes as slow as 45MPH:dizzy:

Scag48
04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
The reason you see some guys running around with their mowers up front is because with that little weight, it doesn't matter. Having too much tongue weight isn't good either, but a 400 pound mower is nothing. Personally, I would run it forward of the axle to get enough tonque weight. The trailer will handle better and you won't have to worry about any bouncing or swaying of the trailer at highway speeds.

ALarsh
04-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I like to run mine balanced on the trailer. Makes it easier to move around in the garage.

oldrustycars
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
400 pounds may be nothing with a class 3 hitch, but a class 1 is only rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, and dont forget the weight of the trailer. but everyone is right...10 percent on the tongue. knuckleheads i work with wreck thing by loading up the trailer, then at the first stop unloading the back of the trailer, thus ending up with a Cat skid loader with all its weight on the hitch.

jd6323
04-20-2006, 01:59 AM
If I load my walkbehind all the way up front the truck bounces like crazy but it's just a half ton chevy. I only do city driving with the equipment loaded up so I guess that's why I haven't noticed swaying or anything like that. Thanks for the info I've been curious about this for a while.