PDA

View Full Version : Pics for Jon

BSME
04-19-2006, 09:26 AM
In an ongoing effort to prove that pulling is better than trenching, I told Jon I'd get him some pics from last weekend's job... unfortunately the camera ran out of batteries after about five shots but I managed to get it to turned on again at the end for one last pic. In related news, a new camera is on its way!

pic #1: a long shot down a lateral line I pulled... I think you can see one line to the left and one line to the right that I pulled also.

pic #2: a spot where I pulled 4 lines within 5' before you get to the coiled poly pipe. There may also be another line pulled underneath the pipe... I forget how close I pulled that line.

pic #3: the last pic I managed to take with the sprinklers on.... there are five lines going across the length of the front yard... the guy with no sleeves (i dunno why he did that) is one of my guys and is explaining how to adjust the rotors)

Dirty Water
04-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Looks good!

I'm confused though, I'm a big fan of plowing as well, so no need to try to convert me...maybe you meant for Hayes? :)

Something you might want to consider doing is pulling pipes together in the same pull instead of pulling them all next to each other. Big time saver. I've managed to pull 3 (up to 1.25") PVC pipes at once with the 410.

BSME
04-19-2006, 03:44 PM
yea I didn't mean to prove it to you... I meant to the others...

I know what you mean about pulling multiple lines at once... but that pic of the four lines running together is right after the manifold... shortly out of that shot they all start curving away from each other... if you look at the front yard pick I have two close to the street... one going down the middle... and two near the front walk. And even those lines of two split away from each other at some point.

justgeorge
04-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Those are some nice seams! What machine did you pull those with? Also, have you already run the maching back down the seam to flatten it back out?

Thanks,
George
(who wishes he could pull pipe that cleanly!)
Ditch Witch 255sx

BSME
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
thanks

Pulled it with the 410sx... I just got it this year after Jon made me jealous talking about his for the last couple seasons.

I ran a 255sx for the last three years but it can't compare to the 410... the 410 has a sod cutter that pre slices the grass so that you don't start tearing... it's also A LOT stronger (diesel engine) so that roots and large rocks don't slow you down and make you start spinning tires like on the 255... this yard was actually tough because it had the biggest boulders I've ever run into.

the first two pics were taken right after they were pulled so nobody went over them with a tamper or rake yet... the last one was taken when we were all finished so my guys had already gone over any rough spots with a rake or tamper.

I know what you mean about running over the lines with the tire but I haven't had the problem of the lines mounding up with the 410 yet. Triple D sells a "turf hammer" that I never tried out but looks cool because it attaches to where your plow goes so you can tamp lines like that

justgeorge
04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed the 255sx doesn't have the sod cutting wheel. Price was right though for me just starting out last year. I did buy a Triple D Turf Shark blade which helps some.

A google search doesn't turn anything up for a Triple D turf hammer - I'll ask my JDL dealer about it.

Thanks,
George

BSME
04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I understand... that's why I got my 255sx three years ago.. I think I spent more getting it repaired though than I actually bought it for... it was POS...

I have a Triple D product catalog from Central Irrigation Supply... it's in there..

Rainman7
04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Any reason for going with the 410 as opossed to the LM42 or LM25 or the Case Maxi?

I currently have a Burkeen and a Mini-Sneaker. The Burkeen is about 35 years old now and still pulls 1-2 jobs a day during the season. I think it might be getting tired so I was considering my options.

Ray

jcom
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Oh contrare! There is a sod cutting pull blade for the 255sx. $700 here from DitchWitch. Haven't bought one yet. Only contemplating.

John:waving:

Dirty Water
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Rainmain: The 410 and the LM42 are in the same performance category. Next time we look at a plow I'd like to demo a LM42.

I don't think any machine does as clean of cuts as the 410. We do run the lines down with the tire if it humps up, but that doesn't happen much.

We have a turf hammer for our old VP-12 plow. The problem is that without the blade buried in the ground it rattles horrible and I think it would rattle apart.

justgeorge
04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh contrare! There is a sod cutting pull blade for the 255sx. $700 here from DitchWitch. Haven't bought one yet. Only contemplating.

John:waving:
I can't find that anywhere on the Ditch Witch web site....

BSME
04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
justgeorge... what kind of blade do you use?

the turf shark blade kind of does the same idea as the sod cutter... but not as well... that's the blade I had for my 255sx but now can't use for the 410 because the sod cutter and the forward part of the blade get in each others way

justgeorge
04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
justgeorge... what kind of blade do you use?

the turf shark blade kind of does the same idea as the sod cutter... but not as well... that's the blade I had for my 255sx but now can't use for the 410 because the sod cutter and the forward part of the blade get in each others way
Turf Shark 10" blade. Although I don't know where they come up with 10" (the other choice was 12"), when I have the blade all the way down it's a good 12-14" deep already. Lots of digging.

Last two jobs I did last year had BAD damage from grubs, running the blade thru just ripped the sod loose. BIG chunks of sod. It was ugly. Made me want to go put down some grub control. But the loose sod just laid back down and with enough water survided.

PurpHaze
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm confused though, I'm a big fan of plowing as well, so no need to try to convert me...maybe you meant for Hayes? :)

Sorry guys. We have no plans in the foreseeable future of pulling poly. Maybe when I retire they can mess with it. :laugh: