PDA

View Full Version : Paying Help??

2menandamower
04-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I have grown to the point that I need to add a helper. Do you pay for windshield time too or just for actual mow time. I pay 10.00 per hour and I am just wanting to be fair to my guys (or gals) and also be able to keep the business going. Any help is appreciated.

Bustus
04-19-2006, 05:56 PM
When you price a job do u consider the time it takes to get to the property? Likely so. I'm sure your worker will want the same. As long as they are at work, they should get paid.

PGA
04-19-2006, 06:38 PM
When you price a job do u consider the time it takes to get to the property? Likely so. I'm sure your worker will want the same. As long as they are at work, they should get paid.

Agreed. As far as I know of when an employee is on company grounds working or on a jobsite they are getting paid. You really shouldnt seperate the two.

rodfather
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Of course you pay for "windshield time"...no one is going to work for you if you're using a stopwatch :hammerhead:

Badgerz
04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I worked for a small construction company years back. We installed municipal water and sewer lines mainly. The jackass owner of that company liked to pull this kind of crap. You'd get your check and realize he had cut off an hour here, an hour there etc. One time we got all the way to the job site when he realized he forgot some stuff that we needed. He went back to get it while we waited. Our pay was docked for the time it took him to go back and get the stuff.

Set general work hours for any employees. I don't know if you have to pay OT or if that's a choice but if you have an employee you need to pay him whenever he's doing anything related to your business. Whether he's mowing or riding in the truck. It's your responsibility to make sure he's kept busy.

lawn_pro
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Of course you pay for "windshield time"...no one is going to work for you if you're using a stopwatch :hammerhead:

Exactly, unless you only need him for a day..because there is no way he will show up the next day after that bs..if you are worried about hours adding up offer him a flat daily fee.

StBalor
04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
My helpers pay starts when we get to the 1st yard and ends when we finish the last yard. Sometimes, not often if i need him to come to the garage in the morning his time starts then.