PDA

View Full Version : How is the irrigation business in Miami

DarkLotus
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
I am looking to relocate to the Miami area and haven't seen much on Monster or any other related sites. While I was down there on vacation, I saw some horrible systems that were an eye sore. Is there a demand for experinced people?

Also, I've heard that the southern states only use PVC, not Poly. Is this true? Any laws on backflow prevention requiring Pressure back flows as opposed to atmostspheric?

Any help is much appreciated!

Wet_Boots
04-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Florida probably leads the nation in having secondary water supply systems in place, for feeding sprinkler systems with 'grey' water - you've seen those sprinklers with the purple covers, that warn you the water is not of drinking quality. Backflow probably doesn't matter so much, with secondary water.

No poly pipe. PVC only.

DarkLotus
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Aye. I understand grey water and the non-potable covers. As for PVC vs. Poly, is that due to the heat down in the southern states? If so, wouldn't the same be true with funny pipe?

I'd like to learn a few more things before I get down there. I noticed alot of small commercial properties with 2" Febco AVB's.

Thanks for the reply.

Wet_Boots
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
The AVB might be pretending to be a PVB, or maybe those are one-zone systems from a large water meter.

PVC is supposed to be cheaper than poly, and doesn't need clamping. In soft sand, some short popup sprays I saw almost were supported by the PVC piping underneath them.

Dirty Water
04-19-2006, 11:14 PM
We use PVC up here in WA, were the climate is pretty temperate.

I don't think it is a climate thing.

DarkLotus
04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Wierd to me ;). I know that the price of any poly/pvc changes quite frequently and I have still found that in NJ, the price of poly is cheaper and quicker. No primer, glue or wait time to cure. Servicing poly seems to me to be much easier as well.

I can see the use of pvc in sandy locations due to the dexterity of the soil, but I can't fathom any other reason for residential properties.

Just my .02

Flow Control
04-20-2006, 07:03 AM
I looked into SW florida last year and I am still tossing it around, from a business standpoint they require a little more then where I am from. If you are just looking for employment the market is different from NJ but you only live once and if you like tropical weather whats holding you back. I say go for it and don't look back.

johnnyaqua
04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Been in the irrigation business in south florida since 1979.Here's some info the SoFla industry.

We use pvc very little poly.Mostly trenched very little pulling.

Pumps and shallow wells are major water source

Relaimed water is getting big and very regulated.

Backflow regs vary county to county ... avb,pvb or rpz

Year round work and lots of it

My company will do 7 million this year just irrigation.

Flow Control
04-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Kudos to you. In that market can an irrigation only company make it?

johnnyaqua
04-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Kudos to you. In that market can an irrigation only company make it?
Yes an "irrigation only" company can "make it". All we do is irrigation repair,service and installation. We keep 75 techs busy every day.

Flow Control
04-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Do you have a website?

Flow Control
04-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Never mind. I looked up your past threads and found your website. Very impressive (website & workload)