PDA

View Full Version : 8-10' tree planting in yard w/ 36" gates lol

Ramairfreak98ss
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Theyre wrapped in burlap, 4' wide balls on them. Whats the easiest way or machine to use to dig holes large enough for these? I cant get even a garden tractor back there or bobcat or anything. whats the next best thing?

I have a customer, that already bought 8 trees, he currently has some cheap 4' tall evergreens in the back yard, im removing 8 and installing 8 much larger trees NOT in the same hole, thus needing to dig probably by hand 8 large holes. What should i charge JUST for labor ?

The soil probably isnt digging friendly, lot of NJ junk clay/small rock soil.

all ferris
04-19-2006, 11:02 PM
dismantle the fence and figure it in your bid.

mow king
04-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Theyre wrapped in burlap, 4' wide balls on them. Whats the easiest way or machine to use to dig holes large enough for these? I cant get even a garden tractor back there or bobcat or anything. whats the next best thing?

I have a customer, that already bought 8 trees, he currently has some cheap 4' tall evergreens in the back yard, im removing 8 and installing 8 much larger trees NOT in the same hole, thus needing to dig probably by hand 8 large holes. What should i charge JUST for labor ?

The soil probably isnt digging friendly, lot of NJ junk clay/small rock soil.
http://www.495rental.com/images/takeuchi_door5.jpg

Call up your local rental center. My local nations rent, rents out Takeuchi TB007 Mini Excavators. This unit is 36 inches wide and is designed for going through gates/doorways/etc.

rluscomb
04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
its called a shovel, depending on nationality it can be operated fairly inexpensively and very efficiently

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
A super mini-x. Thats your best choice. Plus removing the fence. If the hole is bigger 18" by 18" out comes the mini-x

southernlandscapespecial
04-21-2006, 12:05 AM
You can also use a one or two man auger, just make several holes then scoop out with a shovel.

desertrat
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
We do it all the time. The Bosc jackhammer. One guy jacks, one guys remove soil. Around here all the ground is horrible, so we dig everything with a jackhammer. Holes are dug the size of the root ball and stuck in the ground, watered, and we are done.

phototropic1
04-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I think dismantling the fence and figuring that into your bid will be necessary. You would be hard pressed to get a 48" wide root ball through a 36" wide gate no matter how you dig the hole. The mini-ex's are great, but a 4' wide ball is likely to be really heavy. I'm not sure that tiny mini-ex can lift a tree that size high enough to get over the fence.
So........dismantle fence. Rent min-ex to dig holes and place trees (use a specially designed tree strap or sling). Figure all of that into your costs. Have fun! Instant trees are great!!!

ElephantNest
04-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Get or rent a Toro Dingo. It will fit through a 36" gate, and you can lift the trees over the fence while going through the gate. I guess depending on the weight of the trees, but it sounds like the Dingo would do fine.

wurkn with amish
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
get a tree handler and a couple shovels, might sound old fashioned but it works!

Gilla Gorilla
04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
My Dingo TX420 with the pallet forks on maxes out when lifting a 36" b&b tree, I have tried to lift up a 48" balled tree and ended up 2 feet taller in the air. But if you rent the Dingo with the 36" wide auger bit then that is one hell of a good start on the hole versus digging the entire hole by hand. Also what type of trees are these that have 48" wide root balls and only stand 8 or 10' tall.
All of the trees that I get in that hight range don't have root balls any bigger than 36" wide. If the ball is closer to 42" wide then the Dingo with forks might lift it up a couple inches off of the ground to transport the tree into the holes.

Good luck and let us know what you end up using.