PDA

View Full Version : slow year !!!

scagwildcat
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
i have had my ad in the paper for about one and a half months now in connecticut, and ive only had 3 calls !!! what is going on??? i also notice alot of ads this year from those who claim to beat any ones price and one i saw this week it read, LAWN MOWING, NEXT YEAR HIGH SCHOOL GRAD, WITH A AUTO LIC, PUSH MOWER AND A QUAD. FOR A DEAL ON MOWING CALL CELL### AND NO NAME.... I SWEAR THAT IM AT THE POINT WERE I GET PISSSSSSSSSSSS@@@@ WHEN I READ THE PAPER........ has any one elso been dealing with this same thing in CT.??

scagwildcat
04-20-2006, 08:56 AM
I Guess Its Just Me!!!

bubb1
04-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the Foothills Trader? If so, yes there are a slew of landscapers in there, more so now than ever before. Hitchcock chair, just recently laid off also. Every other vehicle on the road seems to have lawn equipment in the back on a trailer or back of a pickup bed..

bubb1
04-20-2006, 12:35 PM
To Answer your question, this is my first year in business and it has been very slow, only a couple calls... so far I have only secured 1 weekly mowing account. I wanted to start off slow but not this slow, lol

scagwildcat
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
well, BUB its nice to know its not just me !! lol whats your biz. name? if you ever need a hand let me know... i was just in torr. i had to sign court papers for my lawyer, another non payer going to court..woooooohoooooo the gmc place closed also.. my old place of work about 6/7 years ago..

bubb1
04-20-2006, 01:43 PM
My dba name is RMC lawn service. So far I have only passed out flyers. I haven't advertised in the Foothills yet. I feel as though I'd be wasting money with all the other lawn services to compete with in the foothills. It's a good publication though, It's mailed here every week. I'm thinking about putting an ad in May...will see how the flyers do first.
Thanks for the offer of help. If I ever get off the ground maybe I'll take you up on that lol......Do you do any work out towards Simsbury/Avon? My cousins husband started three years ago and he is swamped with work in that area..... Anyway, best of luck to both of us....

daveintoledo
04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
are you sure, i just saw on the news where our president was saying how strong the economy was???????????????????????????
we are close to detroit,and tied ito the auto industry as well things are going to get very bad , befor they get better.... hope it goes well for you.....

richallseasons
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
if you limit yourself to only doing lawn care then what your saying is probably true but why do you put yourself out of so many things,or maybe i should ask do you guys do patios,walls,landscape design,ponds etc. we do it all because a well rounded educated and constantly growing and evolving business is the only business that is going to thrive. I am booked up through July and i am working with many more customers with estimates as well-expand your mind and your business and stop holding yourselves back,or dont I can handle the overflow.

scagwildcat
04-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Rich, i agree , but im not going to hire some one to do walls, with no work..plus all the equipment needed..like i said i agee totally with what your saying, my goal is to build up the mowing and then once i have a helper ,start doing the construction part of the buis..My problem is, the phone is not ringing at all !!!! one call since march!!!! i talked to others that advertise in the local papers and they told me the same thing... i dont get it... 10k people that read the foothills trader and no calls?? have you received any calls from your ad??

topsites
04-22-2006, 01:12 AM
If you got some initiative and are willing to put up with some bs, here's an interesting story ...

About a week ago some Lco called and left a message asking if I had any customers I wanted to sell to him... I deleted the message immediately and was pretty annoyed at the whole thing but later ran into a couple of yards that I can not do: One has a 3.5 foot gate and my smallest mower is 4 feet wide, the other is in an area I do not service - both of them were made up of average turf (weeds and stuff) but even to me, a customer is a customer. Well I referred them to the guy's number, if he's as short on work as he sounded desperate on the phone, he will accept that stuff and do it at a decent price. If he's full of himself, then his idea backfired because he will get some bottom of the barrel stuff, so to speak (not customer wise, just stuff I can't do, meaning I won't or can't service but also it's whatever comes along, I'm not nitpicking out nothing and obviously it's not anything I want - but no, I wouldn't send something that I wouldn't take because of a bad feeling or whatever, this is not about revenge it's just may not be the best accounts on earth because those I take lol).

But it's an idea, call around to all the Lco's in your area... I wouldn't go so far as to offer buying an account (that was the only part really ticked me that someone would think I'd sell a customer of mine) but you could always ask if they have any work they don't want or can't handle or don't service, to send it to you and thank you.

Bit of a long shot and you might get some pita stuff sent your way, but in your first year it might just be what gets you through.

dKoester
04-22-2006, 02:39 AM
You need to learn how to be more confident in your business. Higher clients want a seasoned lawncare provider and not some teenage kid who just got their license a no insurance. You'll get past this slump.

CBrosLawn
04-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I lost potential five lawn clients because of the gas increase, so maybe that's a factor for you as well?

It has me worried some being that this is my 1st year and all being that it was a chunk of work for me to lose right out of the gate but I planned on it being tough starting up so I'm just sucking it up and fighting through....

so maybe it's not just the fact that there's tons of us out there, because there's three times the amount of homes going up in CT (especially this area) so I feel there's plenty of work. If you have the $$ try some different advertising or something....diversifing is a good move too, I'm in school right now doing coursework for landscape design. I figure yea I know how to do some stuff (patios, walks) but there's a million things you may not know and you can learn to make yourself more professional. It also impresses "some" clients when they know that your not just someone who throws a mower in the bed and your actually taking the effort to become better educated.

richallseasons
04-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Rich, i agree , but im not going to hire some one to do walls, with no work..plus all the equipment needed..like i said i agee totally with what your saying, my goal is to build up the mowing and then once i have a helper ,start doing the construction part of the buis..My problem is, the phone is not ringing at all !!!! one call since march!!!! i talked to others that advertise in the local papers and they told me the same thing... i dont get it... 10k people that read the foothills trader and no calls?? have you received any calls from your ad??

Paul, the funny thing with me is that I stopped all my advertising early in the year except for my yellow pages and servicemagic.I dont think i will run a local ad for quite some time or never,but because i do softscape and hardscape installs things are very busy,in this week alone i went from being booked into June to august.if i was just a lawn care co.i would have had to sell one of my children by now to make ends meet(thats a joke by the way),i just don't see mowing for me as anything other than a supplement,i don't want anyone to feel like I'm giving them crap,i am just saying put it out there that you do other things and when you book some work that you cant get done by yourself hire a helper and continue to move foward-nothing motivates me more than being responsible for my workers getting paid because now i have to make sure i make enough to pay me in the end-it lit a fire under my ass for sure.

scagwildcat
04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
bub i tried to pm you with no luck, turn your pms on lol. anyway, hows it going, get anymore??

bubb1
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey scag, my pm's are on I believe. Maybe it's because I have less than 25 posts. Anyway my email is bubb153@yahoo.com. I have just secured another account, so now I have 2, lol. No other calls here though, how about you? Are you having better luck now that the grass is in full growth?
I just mowed my first account today and realized I should have worn sunblock and a hat. I have a shaved head and now it's all red lol.....take care....

Charles
04-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I am going on 16 years in business and the call volume has been dropping like a rock for the past 5 years. Why? Because everybody knows somebody in the lawncare biz these days. Just this year I have been dumped by a few customers who have family members getting into it. I have picked up a few customers that saw me on the job. The textile industry laid off 31000 people in this time period and the number goes up daily. Lots of them got into Lawncare and many with nice equipment.. I guess up north it the slumping auto industry and the outsourcing. I don't see how all these new people are going to build a biz based on just lawncare either.