PDA

View Full Version : I need Raised Patio Pricing

DoneRight
04-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Folks,
I am hoping to get some feedback and info from paver pros.
What would you charge for a raised paver patio?
Can you tell me your location as well. Im in NJ.

- 40ft x 25ft (1000sf)
- 3ft high/85ft long wall
- Top Four Steps (5x6/6x8/7x10/8/12)
- Bottom Five Steps (14ft/14ft/14ft/16ft/18ft)
- Two 4ft high pillars
- 35 recessed flush mounted stair lights (Copper finish)
- Drainage inside patio with clean stone and mesh
- Coventry caps on all steps and edge of raised patio

Materials
- EP Henry Coventry Wall 3 inch (7 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry I 6x9 (4 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry I 6x6 (3 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry Corners 2x4ft (128 pieces)
- EP Henry Coventry Caps (136 pieces)

- 100 ton 3/4 blend
- 15 ton dust/sand
- 20 ton 3/4 clean (For Drainage)

Thanks
Calvin

neversatisfiedj
04-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Calvin - consider flowable fill instead of modified . Labor saver and 99% compaction.

bigviclbi
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm from south jersey southern ocean county and our prices would be too low for most of NJ. Where in NJ are you?

Drafto
04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Folks,
I am hoping to get some feedback and info from paver pros.
What would you charge for a raised paver patio?
Can you tell me your location as well. Im in NJ.

- 40ft x 25ft (1000sf)
- 3ft high/85ft long wall
- Top Four Steps (5x6/6x8/7x10/8/12)
- Bottom Five Steps (14ft/14ft/14ft/16ft/18ft)
- Two 4ft high pillars
- 35 recessed flush mounted stair lights (Copper finish)
- Drainage inside patio with clean stone and mesh
- Coventry caps on all steps and edge of raised patio

Materials
- EP Henry Coventry Wall 3 inch (7 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry I 6x9 (4 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry I 6x6 (3 Palets)
- EP Henry Coventry Corners 2x4ft (128 pieces)
- EP Henry Coventry Caps (136 pieces)

- 100 ton 3/4 blend
- 15 ton dust/sand
- 20 ton 3/4 clean (For Drainage)

Thanks
Calvin

What is your overhead? How many people do you have on a crew? How much experience does your crew have? My total might not be the same as yours but these are factors you need to know when configuring pricing.

Dan

landscapingpoolguy
04-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Calvin,

Where in NJ are you located? I would be happy to give you an estimate for the job and you can sub it out. Raised patios are difficult if you have not done them before. What you are describing is something my company installs all the. You labor rate will probally be triple what mine is based on shear time. this job sound slike it should be around 20 grand tho.

Drafto
04-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Calvin,

Where in NJ are you located? I would be happy to give you an estimate for the job and you can sub it out. Raised patios are difficult if you have not done them before. What you are describing is something my company installs all the. You labor rate will probally be triple what mine is based on shear time. this job sound slike it should be around 20 grand tho.

20K? I was easily thinking 30-40K? When you say 3' wall, you need a rail or a sitting wall per code, correct? Add that and you are easily at 40K.

JMO.

Dan

Mike33
04-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Do you guys in jersey actually get 40k jobs? Im lucky where i live to get a 12k jobs a season.

mike

Drafto
04-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Do you guys in jersey actually get 40k jobs? Im lucky where i live to get a 12k jobs a season.

mike

Maybe you are not pricing correctly? On a job like that you probably have 15-18K in material.

DoneRight
04-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all your feedback and response. I am not a landscaper/hardscaper. I am a home owner who recently took on the task of building my own raised patio. I thought my overall cost would be no more then 12k for a 2ft high raised patio with simple steps. However, it kinda grew bit by bit. Its stilll basically the same size, but the savings sure did shrink.
I thought I might of been able to save 50% by doing it myself, but so far, Im way over budget. However, I think its still cheaper then the quotes I had gotten. Ive gotten quotes for 2ft hight, 600-650sf plus basicl steps for $20,500 or 750sf, 2ft high and basic steps from another contractor for 18,500 to $23,000.

So far, Im at $24,000 already. The only difference is that I now own a Wacker 1540 Tamper, a Wacker 14inch chop saw/demo saw AND a Target Table Wet saw. Total spent on equipment was around $4,000.

The 3 workers I had hired were regular day workers. I told them what to do and how to do it. I did a lot of reading before I jumped into this project.
I spent about 5k on workers for close to 2 weeks so far. I spent about 12,000 on materials. 1,000 on supplies.

Yes, I did end up spending more then what I was quoted for, BUT, the raised patio Ive built ended up bigger, higher and nicer. I used all coventry caps on edges and steps. Im just wondering if I saved any money from doing this project on my own or did I end up spending more then It would of cost to pay someone esle to do it for me. It was fun though.

I had an existing pool paver deck done last year and to be honest, the deck I built seems more professional. I ran all the drainage, mesh, clean stones...etc while my pool paver didnt.

Anyay, I will post some pictures soon. Unfortunatley, its been raining so I cant get much work done. I just finished caping the border of the patio. I will cap the top steps when it stops raining and then pave the patio top. Then Ill be done.

Thanks again folks,
Calvin

KCLandscape
04-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Post some pics when you get them....

DoneRight
04-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Everyone,
Here is the link to my gallery.
The patio deck is the deck I am working on. The pool deck was built by paver company.
It was not bad, but I had a few issues with the pool patio built by a paver company.
Anay, any suggestions, comments, feedback would be appreciated.
Thansk again,
Calvin

DoneRight
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi all,
Ok, here is the link to my gallery: http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/calvin888/

<a href="http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/calvin888/">My Gallery</a>

The pool deck was done by a paver company. I am working on the raised patio. Any feedback, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Calvin

hortiscape
04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Did you tell the contractors you had work up your estimate that you were not going to hire them anyway?
If you had, you could have saved them the work and time involved in doing estamates.
Do you have any idea how many hours hardscapers spend pricing jobs and meeting clients.
If you did, you may not have taken advantage of their time to suit your own curiosity.
Sorry, but too many hours can be spent pricing work, instead of time with family because of inconsiderate people such as yourself.
this time of year is very tight for time and any unessasary travel and meeting time can effect the bottom line.

DoneRight
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Ouch, I apologize to everyone that I might of wasted their time. First off, the quotes I did get from was from the pavers who did my existing pool deck AND the ones that did my front walkway last year. They were already here giving me quotes for what I had them do for me. I had asked them for a quote for the patio last year. I was going to have them do it this year but decided to try and do it on my own. Second of all, when they gave me the quotes, they did it roughtly. It was based on an existing deck he had JUST completed.
I understand you may think that you may of thought I wasted their time, but I didnt. I considered it, but figured it was cheaper for me to try and do it on my own. I dont think i was obligated to have one of them build it for me.
In either case, they already did work for me anyway. One I wasnt too happy with, the other wasnt bad, but expensive for what I got.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Calvin

DoneRight
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
btw, when they gave me the quote for the raised patio, it was at the same time when they gave me the quote for the pool deck and front walkway. It was over my budget last year to do the pool deck AND the raised patio. I had the second paver give me a quote for the raised patio while they quoted me for the front walkway as well which I had them do anyway. In both cases, I was going to have them do it for me. It was this year that I decided to try it on my own. I found this forum and figured Id ask what a paver like yourself would charge for what I tried to do on my own. I thought we were here to help. Or are owner/builder not allowed to post here?
Calvin

OGM_Mows
04-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Hortiscape,

Whoa buddy! I don't think Calvin meant any harm in getting an estimate on the raised patio. We all want to sell when we go for an estimate, but a homeowner seeking pricing information, even if they don't intend to purchase, is now educated in the costs associated with getting this type of work. In my humble opinion, the more people who understand what these types of projects cost, the better. What bothers me more is when I go meet with a potential client and tell them the price and they look at me like I have 3 heads because they have no idea what this stuff costs.

Have you ever gone into a store just to window shop? Did you ever call your equipment dealer to ask about a piece of equipment you never buy? Did you ever go to say the Bobcat dealer to look at skid steers and end up buying a Caterpillar?

Maybe someone doesn't buy from you today, but maybe they will tomorrow. Or maybe they have a friend, relative, colleague who needs a landscaper. Now if you come off with the attitude you brought to this discussion it will come back to bite you.

Mike33
04-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Maybe you are not pricing correctly? On a job like that you probably have 15-18K in material.
I screwed that up, i meant i was lucky to get 4-5 15k jobs a season. In my area people is not in to raised patios, etc. They do look real nice though. I build a lot of retaing walls only because we live on a hill side and they are needed to hold something back. I install a lot of new home lawns, but 95% does grass only no shrubs.

Mike

KCLandscape
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Not the kind of customer I want...

DoneRight
04-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi OGM Mows,
Thanks for understanding.
I can also understand why Im not a customer KCLandscape may not want.
If everyone decides to do their own patio, it would hurt all the hardscapers.
Im not sure if I mentioned this, but I thought I would be saving alot doing it on my own, but it has alot of pitfalls taking on a task like this. I did do some research before diving into it. I did not encourage just anyone to try this. If you are serious and do the research, its possible. But its not as easy as you may think. I under estimated labor cost, material cost and equipment cost and other things you come across. I was hoping to get a quote, even a rough quote. It would help educate members if they were looking to do this on their own that it may or maynot be worth the effort to save alittle or alot.

Anyway, thanks and i apologize again to anyone else i may of offended by asking what it would cost to build the patio i built on my own.

Calvin

saidiadude
04-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Calvin, Thx for posting the link to your Gallery as well as the quotes and your cost to DIY. I am considering a project that is about half that size. This would be for my dad's house in southern CA. I agree with OGM_Mows that educating the consumer is important. I now have a much better idea of how much the project would cost my dad and he can budget accordingly. Or we may build a wooden deck if the costs are too high for stone/brick work :-)

KCLandscape
04-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Your cost will be cheaper because you have no overhead costs involved, other than the chiro bill you will pay for your own back.
So go ahead and build it, and send us the pics...

KCLandscape
04-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Your cost will be cheaper because you have no overhead costs involved, other than the chiro bill you will pay for your own back.
So go ahead and build it, and send us the pics...

saidiadude
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Aah... there's that Charming Personality...