PDA

View Full Version : laying sod

agm
04-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I was reading an article that says when you lay sod that you should use a dolomitic lime and an 8-8-8 fertilizer. I have never done this and have never had any problems. I was wondering if anyone uses these things when laying sod and how does it work out for you if you use it.

daveyo
04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
If your not to sure about preparing the area I would do a simple soil test. Go down to your local extension center and for like $10 bucks get a soil sample bag, take the sample as directed and send it off to the address on the bag. Problem solved!

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
You do not want to add lime to a yard unless there is a pH problem. You could end up messing up the pH by adding lime. It is real easy to raise the pH of soil, but a lot harder to lower it. Get a soil test done to determine if you need to adjust the pH.

About the 8-8-8 is just a basic fertilizer to get the sod to grow. You dont have to use it, but you can. This should not hurt the results.

dg806
04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Around here, we have alot of red clay soil that is acidic. You can't put too much lime out here!

AWJ Services
04-21-2006, 06:52 PM
It also depends on the type of sod.