PDA

View Full Version : OK guys here it goes

wescane
04-20-2006, 06:37 AM
I talked with my wife and she wants me to quit my regular job and start doing lawn maintenance full time. Question is, do I have enough work, yes I do. Next question is since I already have a security blanket do I really want to take a chance and go for it, I mean leaving all the benefits which family insurance is a must with two kids. I would be thankful for any feed back because this is a HUGE decision.

scott's turf
04-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Can you do both and hire someone to act as your operations manager? This is what I do and it works out pretty well. It is a little stressful in the sping and I end up using some of my vacation time to do clean-ups and bark mulching but once July comes I usually don't do any lawn care until November. A lot of it depends on how much money you are making at your other job and the benefits associated with it. I would not be able to net any where near my salary no unless I at least quadrupled my lawn care company.
-Scott

wescane
04-20-2006, 07:31 AM
The thing about the whole deal is that I hate my regular job. I have been here for 11 years and Im going nowhere. OH yeah did I metion I havent had a raise in the last 4 years. Liking what you do is important also.

Badgerz
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm with you, working on the same decision myself. If you don't mind me asking how much income would you need to replace? If you quit your job does your health insurance go bye bye or does your wife work and have the ability to carry insurance for the family.

In my case my salary is only $31,500 a year gross. Actual bring home ends up being around $23,000. My wife has a great job and brings home more than I do currently with just a few hours of voluntary OT a week. Her job also offers better insurance than I can get at work. It makes the decision a little easier but it's still not something I'm going to rush into without thouroughly testing the waters.

wescane
04-21-2006, 08:06 AM
I tell you what Badgerz why dont you give me a call or give me your number so we can talk about some things. I will PM you.

Badgerz
04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Check your messages. Reply sent.

dtelawncare
04-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I hear you guys. I am trying to juggle my Bill paying job and my Lawn Care business. I know I can make a very good salary with my business, but it will take a year or so to build up customers. My wife has a good paying job, but not even close to what I make. I have a lot of $$ going out each month on bills. Not in huge debt, but I have been hammering on my house. Went with a shorter term loan for better interest rate. I will be 26 next week, I'm on pace to pay off a $155,000 home at 34. About 2 1/2 yrs and truck is paid off, wifes Pilot is paid for. I am afraid to step out and lose everything I have worked so hard for.

KCLandscape
04-23-2006, 01:02 AM
I am afraid to step out and lose everything I have worked so hard for

Good Luck. Hold on and make it happen. Keep your head high and get some stuff done.

Badgerz
04-23-2006, 01:28 AM
I hear you guys. I am trying to juggle my Bill paying job and my Lawn Care business. I know I can make a very good salary with my business, but it will take a year or so to build up customers. My wife has a good paying job, but not even close to what I make. I have a lot of $$ going out each month on bills. Not in huge debt, but I have been hammering on my house. Went with a shorter term loan for better interest rate. I will be 26 next week, I'm on pace to pay off a $155,000 home at 34. About 2 1/2 yrs and truck is paid off, wifes Pilot is paid for. I am afraid to step out and lose everything I have worked so hard for.

If I was making damn good money I might have second thoughts. But, I'm not so the decision is a little easier.

muddstopper
04-23-2006, 11:57 AM
this is my personal take on this subject. Building a self substaining business overnite is hard to do. Giving up the security of a steady paycheck and going out on ones own is a tough decision for anybody to make. to make the decision easier you need to have a plan. For me, I started with a five year plan toward self employement. Once the goals are set, it is easier to work toward those goals. My first decision I made was insureing that I could make enough money to replace my current job. I knew that I didnt want to give up a $20 hr job and replace it with one that barely paid minimum wage. I started building my company slowly, subsidizing purchases thru my current salary. Basicly, I took $5000 out of savings and bought my first peice of equipment.( I now own over $100,000 worth of equipment, including two hydroseeders, 4 trucks and three tractors and various attachments and trailers) My reasoning was that if I started with good equipment and worked with it, that that peice of equipment should be able to pay for everything else I felt I needed to purchase, without me having to dip into savings again and again. If the equipment cant pay for itself, there is noway it can pay me a salary. Over time, I kept purchaseing equipment, paying cash out of the business profits. Each purchase was made with the goal that that equipment would pay for itself and generate additional income for other purchases. As my equipment list grew, so did the number of hours it took to keep that equipment running and generating income. Since I already had another job, I couldnt very easily operate the equipment myself. this meant adding employees. Now I have two full time employess that make $10 perhr each, or equal to my current salary. my quiting my full time job would mean me replacing one of those employees with myself or a $10 perhr job. I am not ready to quit my current job just yet, I still need to build the company up to where I am making $10 more per hr just to replace my current salary, plus benefits. Otherwise, I would be taking a paycut and loseing money. My planning has enabled me to double in gross every year since we started, I am already at last years total gross this year. I am also considering another crew, I already own the equipment to do so, paid for by income from the company. My current crew is also making overtime almost every week. right now this is cheaper than paying two additional employees. I wont hire additional employees until the work load is to hard to manage for my current crew, and that might be sooner than I expected, but since I already own the equipment, and have two trained employees, its just a matter of hireing someone and splitting my current crew, placing one experienced person with the new hire until they are also trained. This will probaby also mean a slight wage increase for each current employee since they would both be considered lead workers.

Planning your business before you quit your current job, is the best way to insure that your new business will succeed.

lawnspecialties
04-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Can you do both and hire someone to act as your operations manager? This is what I do and it works out pretty well. It is a little stressful in the sping and I end up using some of my vacation time to do clean-ups and bark mulching but once July comes I usually don't do any lawn care until November. A lot of it depends on how much money you are making at your other job and the benefits associated with it. I would not be able to net any where near my salary no unless I at least quadrupled my lawn care company.
-Scott

Scott, I would love to hear more on how this work's for you. I'm a full-time firefighter and LCO. I actually have more work than I should, but I'm getting it done. Can't decide whether or not to cut back or take on some help. I really wonder if it's worth the hassles I hear all about?:confused:

Splicer
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I can only say that you are the only one who can answer your question. Ifit were me I would not quit the regular job if you have good bennies and a few years senoirity. Once you leave you have to start all over again...:hammerhead:

ENDURO
04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm just starting out and am quickly realizing that there just isn't enough time in the day to drive an hour to my full time job, an hour back and then do lawncare. I can't even think about quiting yet as my wife stays home w/ the kids. So now every weekend will be tied up w/ lawncare. I barely see my wife and kids as it is. I was really excited about getting into this business and really planned to do all the work myself. Now I'm having second thoughts. I am still excited and I do plan to stick w/ it and hire my 1st employee soon. If you guys have not read the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad", it's a must. I just read it and I have a totally different plan now. It can really shed some light on how you may want to run your company. I'm going to try and let my employee do most of the actual work while I concentrate on coming up w/ some new advertising ideas, better flyers, return as many calls as I can, bid on every job that my employee can handle, help grow the business. I'm sure it still won't be easy, but w/ some careful planning and a lot of luck, it just might work.

REENO
04-28-2006, 10:21 AM
The thing about the whole deal is that I hate my regular job. I have been here for 11 years and Im going nowhere. OH yeah did I metion I havent had a raise in the last 4 years. Liking what you do is important also.
DO YOU LIKE CUTTING GRASS THAT MUCH?

sheshovel
04-28-2006, 12:42 PM
How many years before you get vested in your current job?

Badgerz
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
DO YOU LIKE CUTTING GRASS THAT MUCH?

Obviously more than what he does now. :)

J Hisch
04-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Business is a risk no matter how you look at it. So what if you have enough revenue to go full time, you can always lose business, get hurt etc. That why it is a risk no sure things in the business world. Just ask yourself this one question. Are you willing to risk your lifestyle no matter what the cost? If the answer is Yes then you should go for it. And always remember it is a risk.

alyssa
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Great advice in this thread as me and my Husband are faced with the same decision. I work from home full time on the computer and make pretty decent money but I don't get any insurance benefits etc working for myself. My husband gets benefits at his job but he desperately wants to quit his job to start his own lawn service.

Being in FL I am nervous about the competition amongst other things. So many things to consider before making the decision. I am trying to convince him to start now while still having his job and benefits. Decisions, decisons... Good Luck Wescane!

scott's turf
05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Scott, I would love to hear more on how this work's for you. I'm a full-time firefighter and LCO. I actually have more work than I should, but I'm getting it done. Can't decide whether or not to cut back or take on some help. I really wonder if it's worth the hassles I hear all about?:confused:

I am a full time mechanical engineer and have one employee right now that works for me full time. It is very hard to find someone that you can trust to do quality work and also be dependable. After 4 years of 4 different employees I am starting to get better at picking the right ones. This is my best start to the year ever. My wife works part time and answers a lot of calls for me when she is not working. She sets up appointments for estimates that I do in the evenings when I get home from my day job. This time of year I usually end up working every sat and every other friday (my scheduled days off). I take more time off from work if required. It can be a bit stressful at time and with only one employee they can really screw you over if they quit.

This provides my family of 3 with one more on the way, a little more income but in no ways am I getting rich. I net around 15k-20k after all expenses working around 300 hrs per season. Somedays it hardly seems like enough to bother but we need the extra money.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I know what where yer' at. I've got 18 res. accounts, 3 large comm. contracts and a full time job. Starting to do more landscaping as well, as soon as that starts to kick my !#@$ I'm going solo or cut myself in half!:dizzy: