PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat RockHound value

vntgrcr
04-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Can you guys that have used a Bobcat RockHound/ Soil Preperator(sp???) let me know what you think of this deal. I have found a used one that has a good amount of slop in the chains and the guy says that it will hop when you are using it as the chains go slack, then tighten up. The adjusters are almost all the way out as well. He wants $1800, half of new. The rest looks OK, needs a couple of hoses as well. Depending on what you guys say, I am thinking of giving him $1500 as is, I will fabricate the adjustment to get a little more out of it to make it taught. I guess my main concern is the effect of having loose drive chains. Does it make a difference? I have a couple of projects I could use this on right away, but don't want to blow good money on a piece of junk. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

playnindirt
04-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I dont know where you get a rockhound for $3600.00 I just priced a new bobcat 6B yesterday and the price was about $8000.00, I currently have a 5B that has a crack in the chain which we have fixed twice and to get a new chain with all the teeth is about $2500.00. So i would be careful because if the chain has to be replaced it will cost more than the rake. Also see what model it is. Stay away from the A series because they are obsolete and you may not be able to get parts

vntgrcr
04-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks playnin'. I will check to see if it is an A. This is the kind of invaluable advice I am looking for. Thanks again.
David

ksss
04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I would agree you are considerable less than half. However you will spend money on rebuilding it. I quit using Rock Hounds and went with FFC's Preparator. Much heavier built machines, but the rock hounds do a good job. I guess I would price the parts and plan for the repairs. Fabing brackets may not be a great idea but whatever you think will get you by.

vntgrcr
04-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Well I bought the rock hound for $1500. It needs a little bit but will work fine once I spend a little time on it and the key is it will make me money and alleviate the need for more man power. I will be removing a couple of links on each chain to tighten it up. thanks

Mike33
04-23-2006, 08:55 PM
I paid 5k for my 5a in 1996. Now im thinking of replacing the chain ,bar and teeth for around mid 2k
mike

vntgrcr
04-28-2006, 06:13 AM
I would agree you are considerable less than half. However you will spend money on rebuilding it. I quit using Rock Hounds and went with FFC's Preparator. Much heavier built machines, but the rock hounds do a good job. I guess I would price the parts and plan for the repairs. Fabing brackets may not be a great idea but whatever you think will get you by.
KSSS, can you please let me know what you paid for your Preparator? I went to the website and it looks like an interesting piece. The Hound that I bought does work, but is going to need some work. I can easily get my money back out of it if I need to. Thanks
David

ksss
04-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I just bought a new one this year and paid 8K for it. I had a 96 model and a 99 model that I sold on Iron Planet. I got 1800 out of the 66" model and 2500 out of the 77" model. The 77" needed a new drum. I could have gotten more it I had sold them myself but I did not want the machines in my area. The new one was a 77" model.