PDA

View Full Version : Scag48 ain't the only one getting new cat iron this week!!

mrusk
04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Thats right. My cat salesman came out to the jobsite this morning and i signed the papers on a new 246b cab, heat and ac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get it monday or tuesday!

Turned out when the cat guy gave me a price last week he included sales tax when all the other salesman from other brands did not. So it ended up being 2k less than i expected! Everyone says cat is over priced, but i found that to be untrue. It was less money than the case, and NH. The salesman told me to hold off on the counter weights. Said i might not even need them. My neighbors have the same skid and they filled the tires with calcium and got great results.

Can't wait till next week! Got go buy a equipment trailer in the morning and a good grease gun!

I think the cat guy was shocked when he saw my bday on the credit app. Not to many 19 years old buy skid steers!

Matt

Squizzy246B
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Well done Matt,...enjoy...get the pics too.

mrusk
04-20-2006, 07:47 PM
I will get pics! Hopefully my sign guy can it get it lettered up with my logo soon!

bobcat9957
04-20-2006, 07:47 PM
mrusk nice new wheels. I have run that machine and it was an awesome ride. Good luck and congratulations.

Scag48
04-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Nicely done! I have a hard time believing the "Cat is overpriced" story. Our 312CL came in right around what I've been told a Deere 120CLC can be had for, plus I get 3X the service. The 312 won't be in until next week, so you might get your new piece before we get ours. Our sales guy accidentally ordered the machine with the wrong pads, 28" instead of 24" so they're working on swapping tracks with another machine this week. Got a loaner, I start on 100 acres of orchard removal tomorrow, ink is dried, we're going to work. Good luck with the 248!

Gravel Rat
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I would have left the 28" pads on the machine you will probably want to get into doing the property development where you don't want the machine sinking and tearing up the ground. The 158 Komatsu I ran has 28" pads it crawled over soft ground where the JCB 4x4 backhoe sunk out of sight.

Dirty Water
04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
The 158 Komatsu I ran has 28" pads it crawled over soft ground where the JCB 4x4 backhoe sunk out of sight.

To further have fun with totally apples to oranges comparisons, my airplane flew great while my truck just fell from the sky. Obviously everyone should get airplanes.

Gravel Rat
04-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I'am just saying the 28" pads on the Komatsu which is a 15.5 ton machine walked over a soft muddy filled in area like a person wearing snow shoes. The JCB rubber tired hoe weighs 9 ton soon as the tires hit the surface it was almost instantly to the axles. Even walking over the filled area you would sink to your ankles.

The wide pads are nicer for general use work the only time you run a narrower pad is if your working in forestry applications but they are using heavy grouser bar pads. When Scag is going to have the 312 on slopes steep enough where you need the seat belt to hold him in the seat the wider pads have more bite. He should beable to max out the grade capability on the machine to the point where the machine just wants to start sliding.

thepawnshop
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
To further have fun with totally apples to oranges comparisons, my airplane flew great while my truck just fell from the sky. Obviously everyone should get airplanes.

Was that sarcasm? I think that was sarcasm. Yep...it was sarcasm.

2004F550
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
probably has to do with width more than anything, you don't want to have to get involved in permits for over width loads and all of the BS we deal with......anyway way to go with the 248..were looking at a 242 right now

Gravel Rat
04-21-2006, 12:21 AM
The 312 is a small machine all you need to carry it is a tandem axle tag pulled behind a tandem axle dump which is nice you can move the machine easy no overwidth problems.

gammon landscaping
04-23-2006, 03:59 PM
well in my experance with our 312 with the 24 in tracks it holds better on muddy hills and steep train than the 315b that we rent some times. i believe that when you have narrower tracks you get more ground pressure on the tracks, when you have more ground pressure you get more of a grip on the ground you are workin. so the narrower tracks would be for staying on the side of a hill and the wide tracks would be for swampy flat work

Gravel Rat
04-23-2006, 05:41 PM
When the job site turns to muck you stop and wait for it to dry up trying to keep working just makes a big mess. There have been many jobs where they had to stop because it was raining to hard making a muddy mess.

Yes the narrower tracks have more ground pressure. Look at Scag's first job he's tearing out a orchard the owner probably doesn't want to have heavy compacted soil from a excavator walking over the ground repetivly.

The contractor that he is working for is probably going to use Scag and his dad's experience in the landscaping business to do the property developement. Where he will be probably doing the larger hardscaping work and grading the land. Also if he gets into doing the demo work the wider pads are a little more stable.

If he gets good on the machine he can do the utility work like installing sewers etc the wider pads work better on pavement.

Scag48
04-24-2006, 01:18 AM
28" pads are over 8'6". I don't want to have to get permits to haul our machine. We're technically a desert climate here, not too much mud.

2004F550
04-24-2006, 09:29 AM
thats what i figured

Scag48
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Plus, wider tracks are heavier, and you lose some tractive effort when climbing slopes. Mud is only a problem here for maybe 1 month out of the entire year, if that, and it never gets too deep so we don't need the flotation. We do, however, work on slopes quite a bit and having a wider track wouldn't help us there.

If we bought a 320, I probably would have gone with 28" pads because you're already over the 8'6" with 24" pads anyway, go for the gusto. Plus, a 320 is a much larger machine and can power the 28" shoes or even the 32" shoes more than a 312.

I understand where you're coming from GR, but in our situation, trucking is the biggest PITA with having to get permits, especially when we're relying on someone else to move our machine. We want the moving process to be as easy on him as possible until I can learn the business and buy my own truck.

Where's the 248B? We need pics!

Gravel Rat
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I guess your guys trucking rules are different we only need permits if the load is pushing the 10' mark. We move 690 John Deere's on tandem axle tilt trailers which is a little heavy its supposed to be on a proper lowbed.

Scag48
04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Anything over the width of 8'6" needs permits. It's really lame.

nac
04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Well Scag48 What did that 312 end up costing you ? I have 28" tracks on my JD160Clc and am at 8'6" exactly. When i bought my machine 04 Cat was a lot more expensive and my Local Cat Dealer (Foley) took over 2 weeks to call me back. My John Deere Dealer (Jesco) had a machine for me next day. And it cost me 115,000.00 with tax.

Scag48
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Here's the breakdown:
-Cat 4 tine hydraulic link thumb
-Cat dedicated hydraulic quick coupler
-24", 36", and 60" buckets
-High ambient cooling
-Cold weather starting package
-2 cab lights + right side boom
-8'2" stick
-standard boom
-CD player

Total price before taxes was $139,000. I gotta say, you stole that machine for $115,000, Deere wants $131,000 for a bare bones 120CLC I hear, I didn't call our Deere dealer because I've had more bad luck with them, but I was talking to the guy we've partnered up with and he told me what the Deere's are going for. We already have a contract signed for a job that will cover about 1/3 the cost of the machine already.

BTW, I checked your website and found a pic of your 160CLC, you have 24" pads. :waving:

Dirty Water
04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
-CD player

This is something I will never get in any machine I purchase.

Aside from probably getting dusty and breaking, I don't want a operator distracted by a great song, and making a costly mistake.

Same reasion I don't wear my iPod while working.

Scag48
04-24-2006, 08:34 PM
When you're running a machine 16-18 hours a day like I will be doing in the next month or so pulling orchards, it gets really boring, really fast and there is no radio signal where I'm going to be. I actually work better with tunes, but some people don't. Whenever I'd run our 303, I always had my Worktunes ear muffs on, I can concentrate 100% with music.

Dirty Water
04-24-2006, 08:39 PM
When you're running a machine 16-18 hours a day like I will be doing in the next month or so pulling orchards, it gets really boring, really fast and there is no radio signal where I'm going to be. I actually work better with tunes, but some people don't. Whenever I'd run our 303, I always had my Worktunes ear muffs on, I can concentrate 100% with music.

No radio signal in Eastern WA? :laugh: Every time I cross the pass to go overthere I get frusterated because all there is spanish radio and country.

Scag48
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it's terrible. I can only get like 1 station in town. To be honest with you, I'd rather have satellite radio in the machine rather than a CD player.

nac
04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I am almost postive i have the 28" tracks will have to check tommarow

Scag48
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
They look like 24's in the picture, but I could be mistaken. All I know is that 28's are over 8'6".

mrusk
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Nac- Its funny that it took foley cat 2 weeks to call you back. I just bought a 246b from them and it was a great process!!

Scag48
04-24-2006, 10:27 PM
You got it yet? Where are the pics?!

mrusk
04-24-2006, 10:32 PM
SCAG48- The machine gets delivered to my jobsite 11am in the morning tomorrow!!! WOooooo Now only if i could close a deal on a damn equipment trailer!!

I'm actually real excited. I never even demoed the damn machine, i bought on recommendations from others that have the machine!

Its getting dropped at a 700 sqft paver job. Access is real tight since it is inside a fence pool area. But the machine will get a good work out moving the cubes of pavers around and the qp/concrete sand. I'm meeting the cat guy there to drop the machine off but i won't be back to start the job till thrusday. Gotta finsh up 2 little jobs first. Got 3 jobs going right now, don't know why, but i gotta tight up loose ends and get all my $$$$$$$.

Gravel Rat
04-24-2006, 11:38 PM
A person has to have tunes while running machines if you don't you go stir crazy. Usually we have the radio loud enough we can hear it clearly with muffs on.

Itsgottobegreen
04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
This is something I will never get in any machine I purchase.

Aside from probably getting dusty and breaking, I don't want a operator distracted by a great song, and making a costly mistake.

Same reasion I don't wear my iPod while working.

Music will keep the guys mine from wondering. I found that worktune headphone increases productivity by 5 to 15%. Keeps the guys focued.

mrusk
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Machine just came in!!!! I just stopped back from the job site to eat lunch! Its great working 2 mile from home.

The pilot controls are awesome!!! Its going to take a little time to get used it them though!

Scag48
04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
No worries, you'll have the pilots down in like 10 hours max.

iowacatman
04-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Congrats!
pics?

mrusk
04-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Haven't had time to get pics yet! Waiting for my logo to get slapped on it first!

I ran the machine for about 45 minutes today digging out for a paver walk way. Starting to get the hang of the controls!

Best part of this machine is the dealer support. Salesman drives over an hour and a half to met with me. He has been on my job sites 3 times already to talk. Twice before the purchuse and once after. I have no doubt i will get the same support always.

I gotta buy a damn transfer tank now!

Scag48
04-27-2006, 09:44 PM
You can get away without buying one, but it's a PITA to fuel with 5 gallon cans. If you have the funds to do so, buy a transfer tank. We have one on order right now, we're borrowing one from a friend until ours shows up and it cost us $900 with a Fill Rite pump. We're finally getting one only because we HAVE to get one running the 312 now but we've gone 3 years without a transfer tank for the other machines.

Cat service is excellent, isn't it? :weightlifter:

tylermckee
04-28-2006, 02:31 AM
If i was still fueling with 5 gal cans i would quit. Ive got an 80 gal tank in the work truck and it seems like im filling it up every other day.

Scag48
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
For sure, I burned 90 gallons last weekend. No more 5 gallon cans for me!