PDA

View Full Version : Organic lawncare legality issues...

greenjeans_il
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm starting my own lawncare business and wondered if anyone knew anything behind the pantented use of feedgrains for lawncare.
I've heard that one of the university's (Iowa I think) patented the use of feedgrains as fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, etc... Does that mean if I have a business that advertises "Chemical Free Lawncare" and uses soybean meal as a fertilizer that I'll have to pay royalties to the owner of the patent? Or would that only apply if I advertised "Organic Lawncare"? I'm not physically bagging the feedgrain and selling it off the shelf as fertilizer so I'm not sure how the patent laws would apply to my situation.

Any advice from those with knowledge or experience with this would be appreciated. Other than that I'll have to retain the services of a lawyer (which I may need to anyway). My business plan is kind of based around the use of organic amendments. In fact it's going to be my edge above the competition. My plan is to market and educate the general public on organic lawncare in hopes they'll retain my services. It should be good for an account or two.

greenjeans_il
04-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Shame on me for not reading more posts. I guess Coyoteman asked a very similar question but not about the patents.

woodycrest
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
you should be ashamed of yourself.... :waving:

there are many grey areas as far as legalities are concerned....

greenjeans_il
04-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Well there's my favorite Canadian!!:canadaflag: How goes it fellow bentgrass fan? Didn't know you came here, too. How is it I keep running into old friends?:drinkup:

Did you know Gerry started his own organic lawncare forum? You should come join us over there if you get time between clippings. It's small and uncontroversial. Email me if you want the address.

G.L. In Ont
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM
HI - can you send this to me please?
Thanks, GL