PDA

View Full Version : need a 32 for gates ...

nekos
04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
i have been haveing some trouble finding a good gate mower.
i can fit a 36 in most of these yards but they are all way to damn much $$$.
atleast for a hydro they are and im done with belt drives!!!

the quick 36 would be my #1 choice if it wasn't 39.5 wide < WTF is that all about ??? >

anyway i have only been able to find a ferris 32 that seems allright.
i can't buy it though the dealer screwed me out of 5K last time i delt with them.

what other hydro 32's or cheap 36's are out there ?

lwcmattlifter
04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Have you looked at Lesco?

nekos
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
kinda ...
i havent been able to find much info on their power equipment.
do they even have a hydo 32 or 36 ?

oh BTW if any one say's exmark ... :hammerhead:
had nothing but trouble with 2 exmarks. one brand new that never worked and a used one i got cheap because it never worked either :P

ed2hess
04-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Scag still makes a 32" WB, we have two and they are rock solid units!! I think it is a better choice than the single hydro units.

fishinpa
04-20-2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=31&SKUGroupID=83

I guess the specs really don't give the "total with" of the mower though.... bummer.

nekos
04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
thx guy's scag is probably what i will look at next . that or anther push mower /sigh

mr mow
04-20-2006, 10:25 PM
great dane scamper is only 36" wide.... i believe havent measured the handles, but im pretty damn sure.

mr mow
04-20-2006, 10:27 PM
sorry misread question you need a 32"

nekos
04-21-2006, 12:05 AM
sorry misread question you need a 32"

ya , i might be able to move to a 36 but i can't see paying 3K + for a 36.
and like i said im done with belt drives.
it will be used on atleast 19 lawns per week... maybe more

mr mow
04-21-2006, 12:10 AM
cant you buy used?

mr mow
04-21-2006, 12:11 AM
used hydro is better than a new belt. i understand the pain.

blakeg314
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
www.junktank.com <<< check it out dunno if it will help

True Harbor
04-21-2006, 12:40 AM
this is a good unit if you dont mind turning it with a bit of muscle. deck adjustment is better than most belts plus the instant reverse. It does get tiring though trying to control on hills or lakes. I'm waiting for the 32' gravely with j-pins to come back

FreshCutz
04-21-2006, 01:03 AM
you shouldnt have any problems getting thru gates with the quick 36. Even old chainlink gates are 42 inch opening. measure your gates next time out. I only have a 42 and it just fits thru (a little paint on the post) I havent run into a problem yet

nekos
04-21-2006, 10:23 AM
you shouldnt have any problems getting thru gates with the quick 36. Even old chainlink gates are 42 inch opening. measure your gates next time out. I only have a 42 and it just fits thru (a little paint on the post) I havent run into a problem yet

in a perfect world that would be true , but unfortunately it's not.
like i said i could get a 36 threw more then half the property's i do , i would still have to keep a 21 on the truck for a large portion of my account's .
the quick is 39.5 i couldnt even get that threw my gate. most of the gates i need this mower for are 37" - 39" some are even smaller !!!

it's kinda pissing me off. there are 3 main LCO's in my area. 2 are nothing but trouble for the customer's and 1 is over priced and wont take gated yards. im not ready to grow my buisness yet... i turn down dozen's of calls every year because these poor people can't get some one on there properties. there is an entire neighborhood < well over 1000 homes > that not one LCO will touch because of gates.
unfortunitaly i i wont either because i can't get any good equipment to work on these property's. even a 32 would have trouble in this area !
i might just break down and go buy a ferris. it seem's to be my only option unless i want to drive 1 1/2 hour ... im not even sure what all brand's this other place has.

Craymarris
04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I use a 42" Scag Zcat for small gates, if it doesn't fit, then I ask the owner to install a larger gate or i turn the job down so far i only had to turn down 2 accounts. It's just not worth carrying 3 mowers to cover that 1 or 2 accounts that needs it. all the newer homes will have a 50" gate in this area it's code now.

Ric3077
04-21-2006, 07:15 PM
I use a 36" wright stander for my gates its great!

Ric3077
04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
wright also make a 32" stander if you wanna make sure you get in EVERY gate...

rickt
04-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I use a 42" Scag Zcat for small gates, if it doesn't fit, then I ask the owner to install a larger gate or i turn the job down so far i only had to turn down 2 accounts. It's just not worth carrying 3 mowers to cover that 1 or 2 accounts that needs it. all the newer homes will have a 50" gate in this area it's code now.

Thats a bunch of croc, the homeowner would tell you to go were you came from. Stop trying to act like a big shot, no homeowner going to install a new gate and pay someone to do it just so you can cut there lawn, there are hundreds if not thousands of lawn care companies in a given area they can pick from.

BLS 2002
04-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Gravely makes a 34''. I ordered one about 3 weeks ago. Just came in today. Still haven't used it, but it will def. fit in all of my yard w/gates.

Insometry
04-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I got a 36'' Stander for gates of small backyards.

Haven't had one it couldn't fit in yet. A couple have been really tight squeezes though. You can manuever the stander well enough that you can fit through a slightly smaller space.

hillndale
04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
The Scag Z Cat comes in 36" too or there is the new Exmark Phazer that comes in 34". But you said WB, didn't you?

H:headphones:

GLC51
04-22-2006, 01:44 AM
32" Stander got it instead of the 36" Stander so it would get through all the gates.

nekos
04-22-2006, 05:32 PM
i would LOVE to get a 32 stander. haha that would make work fun ! :P
anyway im still small time and spending 5K on a stander is still a little much for me.

NEPSJay
04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
i

the quick 36 would be my #1 choice if it wasn't 39.5 wide < WTF is that all about ??? >

its measured to the outside edge of the deflector shield.:dizzy:

Dunn's
04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
I know you said your dealer screwed you but the 32" Ferris hydrocut is a great machine I love it.

Dunn's
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
All of my gates are 37-40 inches as well and it barely fits the 37" so I wouldnt go bigger. Oh yeah the snapper 32" hydro is the same unti as the ferris they just have slightly different options ferris is about $200.00 dollars cheaper to usually not sure why though hope this helps

joshlawn
04-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I use this mower, it fits through fence gates just fine and mows great too. --> Great Dane Gateway (http://www.greatdanemowers.com/products/gateway.html) <--

Evergreenpros
04-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Thats a bunch of croc, the homeowner would tell you to go were you came from. Stop trying to act like a big shot, no homeowner going to install a new gate and pay someone to do it just so you can cut there lawn, there are hundreds if not thousands of lawn care companies in a given area they can pick from.

Many times, especially on referrals, customers really want your service. Since most customers are value shoppers as opposed to price shoppers, the installation of a new gate is not an unreasonable request to get a good value. In addition, if they have a tiny gate I'm sure they have run into problems with it before, they wouldn't be changing the gate just for you in most cases. Why fence companies even install 35inch an under gates is beyond me. I can see why not every gate is 4ft+ but come on guys at least put a good 3 footer in there.

nekos
04-23-2006, 09:39 PM
I know you said your dealer screwed you but the 32" Ferris hydrocut is a great machine I love it.

i actually demod one a few years ago , i really liked it!
it had a great cut !
i was about to buy it but i bought a viking hydro. man that was a big mistake !!!

anyway im still thinking about what to get and the ferris is starting to look like my only option... a very good option though !

thx again for all the reply's every one :)

mr mow
04-24-2006, 12:10 AM
good post joshlawn i like the idea of that mower, might have to check into it myself. anyways i ask a question a long time ago..... why cant you buy a used hydro? gotta have new?

joshlawn
04-24-2006, 01:14 AM
good post joshlawn i like the idea of that mower, might have to check into it myself. anyways i ask a question a long time ago..... why cant you buy a used hydro? gotta have new?

I buy mine used, seems more cost effective than buying new.

J&R Landscaping
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Bobcat classic 36" belt drive w/ a 15 briggs= 2200 Kohler engine instead of briggs, add $200.

Bobcat 36" belt drive with 15hp kawasaki= 3300 from my dealer.

hillndale
04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
i was about to buy it but i bought a viking hydro. man that was a big mistake !!!
thx again for all the reply's every one :)

Just curious why the Viking was a big mistake. I'm interested in a used Exmark 36" TTHP, so I was wondering about your experience.

thanks
Hillndale

nekos
04-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Just curious why the Viking was a big mistake. I'm interested in a used Exmark 36" TTHP, so I was wondering about your experience.

thanks
Hillndale

just me personally , i have had nothing but trouble with 2 exmark's that i have had. first one was a viking hydro , im not 100% what the problem was... it would randomly scalp lawns. it would honestly take out 2 - 4" chunks of grass that would bog down the engine!!!
i lost the only 3 account's that machine ever was used on.
< btw it's still for sale at Arlington power equipment in IL if any one wants it>
lol

the last time i brought that machine back to the dealer i noticed paint chips from one of the weld's on the frame. i was told later that might be a good indication that the welds were cracked and that may have caused the problem. im no expert so i can't say for sure, either way it just didn't work .

2nd exmark a friend gave me, i had the same problem as he did. it was in the shop more then it cut grass.

im not going to bash exmark, maybe i got the 2 chit machines out of the 1000's they make. but im assuming there is a reason exmark is being dropped from just about every dealer in my area and not one LCO i have seen has red in their trailer.

hillndale
04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
just me personally , i have had nothing but trouble with 2 exmark's that i have had. first one was a viking hydro , im not 100% what the problem was... it would randomly scalp lawns. it would honestly take out 2 - 4" chunks of grass that would bog down the engine!!!
i lost the only 3 account's that machine ever was used on.
< btw it's still for sale at Arlington power equipment in IL if any one wants it>
lol

the last time i brought that machine back to the dealer i noticed paint chips from one of the weld's on the frame. i was told later that might be a good indication that the welds were cracked and that may have caused the problem. im no expert so i can't say for sure, either way it just didn't work .

2nd exmark a friend gave me, i had the same problem as he did. it was in the shop more then it cut grass.

im not going to bash exmark, maybe i got the 2 chit machines out of the 1000's they make. but im assuming there is a reason exmark is being dropped from just about every dealer in my area and not one LCO i have seen has red in their trailer.

Dag man, that's brutal. Funny how different products sell in different markets. All depends on the hype I guess, but hard to believe with the reputation associated with Exmark that your area dealers would bail. There must be more to it than we know. Maybe Exmark puts high demands on the dealers or something. Thanks for the info though. Food for thought.

Good luck with your purchasing decision:clapping:

hillndale:headphones:

nekos
04-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Dag man, that's brutal. Funny how different products sell in different markets. All depends on the hype I guess, but hard to believe with the reputation associated with Exmark that your area dealers would bail. There must be more to it than we know. Maybe Exmark puts high demands on the dealers or something. Thanks for the info though. Food for thought.

Good luck with your purchasing decision:clapping:

hillndale:headphones:

honestly, it seems like exmark is kinda shunned in my area. you see the occasional ferris and torro but never exmark.
bobcat and scag are on well over 90% of the trailer's i see.
i have also been seeing some yellow stander's every now and then.

it might have something to do with the fact that i live and work not more then 5 minutes from one of Brickman's offices / yards.
Brickman truck's only have Bobcat's on them. im sure most the start up's in my area see this and go out and buy bobcat's.
i don't think trying to copy Brickman would be bad idea .:confused:

Madstriper
04-25-2006, 12:38 AM
All of my gates are 37-40 inches as well and it barely fits the 37" so I wouldnt go bigger. Oh yeah the snapper 32" hydro is the same unti as the ferris they just have slightly different options ferris is about $200.00 dollars cheaper to usually not sure why though hope this helps

What does a new 32" Ferris Hydro sell for?

nekos
04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
What does a new 32" Ferris Hydro sell for?

im not sure exactly i havent talked to the dealer that sells them yet...
if i remeber right i was quoted in the $2500 range a few years ago.

Dunn's
04-25-2006, 12:49 AM
We purchased our Ferris 32" Hydrocut, brand-new, 2 weeks ago for $2499.99.

mr mow
04-25-2006, 12:56 AM
nekos............................................what about used? sorry bout exmark exp. never seen one in my area....ever. dont think they sell em here. scag,toro,G.D,ferris,just recently wright, hustler but not in my imediate area. joshlawn posted a link to a mower that looks pretty sweet youll have to go back a couple of pages but i believe it a 32" with a fold down wing to make it 52" it made by great dane, but you probably wont find that used yet.

nekos
04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
nekos............................................what about used? sorry bout exmark exp. never seen one in my area....ever. dont think they sell em here. scag,toro,G.D,ferris,just recently wright, hustler but not in my imediate area. joshlawn posted a link to a mower that looks pretty sweet youll have to go back a couple of pages but i believe it a 32" with a fold down wing to make it 52" it made by great dane, but you probably wont find that used yet.

im not a big fan of used equipment. that being said if i found something in good condition at a fair price i wouldnt think twice about buying it.

the only dealer i know of the sell's used equipment is the one i really don't want to deal with. another dealer has an auction every year but for lawn mowers... they all look to be on their last leg's. other equipment is nice though !
< got a 9foot western pro plow for $120 !!! >

the wright with the fold down wing ... expensive and very cool !!!! has any one used one yet and how much $$$ are we talkin for one ?

nekos
04-27-2006, 11:03 PM
just in case any one was following this thread ...

i finally got my gate mower !!! :clapping:

i just bought a Gravely pro 1334 ... 34 " 13 kaw gear drive.
i couldn't be more happy with this machine. it has only seen 2 yards so far but the cut was excellent !!! one of the yards the grass was well over 1foot in some places ! the mower powered right threw it with out bogging down the slightest bit.

anyway i just wanted to thank every one for all the advice. :)

chriscraft
04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
We use 44" lasers they do big properties and fit thru evey gate except 1. We were using 36 Hydros but when we realised that a 44 laser fits thru near everything , there was no contest on what to buy

parafighter4
04-28-2006, 09:11 PM
take a look on ebay...i have a gravely 32 on there until the 30th

topsites
04-28-2006, 09:14 PM

You are correct but I feel the same way - If my 48" don't fit, then I can not and will not service the yard. I ain't buying a machine that takes 25% more time to cut whatever area (well if it's a 36" then it's 25% smaller, 30" is even worse) when the customers are going to sit there and bicker and dicker about the 5 dollar extra fee and it's still not enough because now I have to load / unload 2 machines instead of just one, not to mention my mpg goes out the window.

All you guys buying those small 3-foot decked mowers for these gated yards, all of you can take every last one of them and knock yourself out working extra time to get'r done.

I am a commercial outfit, I have a commercial machine, it is not my fault their gate is too small.
If the 48" don't fit, sorry.

ed2hess
04-28-2006, 10:49 PM
You are correct but I feel the same way - If my 48" don't fit, then I can not and will not service the yard. I ain't buying a machine that takes 25% more time to cut whatever area (well if it's a 36" then it's 25% smaller, 30" is even worse) when the customers are going to sit there and bicker and dicker about the 5 dollar extra fee and it's still not enough because now I have to load / unload 2 machines instead of just one, not to mention my mpg goes out the window.

All you guys buying those small 3-foot decked mowers for these gated yards, all of you can take every last one of them and knock yourself out working extra time to get'r done.

I am a commercial outfit, I have a commercial machine, it is not my fault their gate is too small.
If the 48" don't fit, sorry.
You need to come to the city. There are only a very few commericial properties where we can use a 48" units and almost 100% of the residential have cedar fences with 38" gates. You guys up north in the little bitty states are using up your land for big yards and here in Texas we put homes on little bitty yards...go figure?

Poppy
05-01-2006, 11:05 AM
The Quick 36 is only a little bit more than 36" wide once you remove the discarge gaurd.